Pregnant after a Loss
Options

When did you/will you tell about your pregnancy?

I know it's pretty early but we have already told DH's mom and my parents. I'm also thinking that I'll tell my close cirlce of friends as well sometime soon. I feel like if something would happen then I'd want their support and wouldn't want to keep it a "secret". They'd all know that something was wrong anyway you know?

When did you/will you tell about your pregnancy? What are your thoughts/reasoning behind it?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did you/will you tell about your pregnancy?

• Options

We told our parents, brothers, and close family (ie, aunt/uncle and grandmother in Italy) at Christmas, about a month after BFP.  Then we waited until 12 weeks, when we heard the heartbeat and saw the neck, etc, and everything was given a thumbs up, to tell other people.  When haven't broadcasted it on facebook, nor will will.  I am waiting until mid-Feb, when I get my contract to tell my boss; I'm a teacher and plan on going back in Jan hopefully, rather than late Nov/early Dec.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We told everyone right away. Our friends and family and even DH's chain of command were extremely supportive during our last m/c. (First was before he and I met, so different group of people.) We knew that we would need their support if we lost another one.

That's also when we decided that this was our last try. No matter the outcome, we were done. So it was like the beginning of the final chapter for us...at least in the reproduction phase of our lives.

"Momma! She's doing it again!!" Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This time we told immediate family and some close friend right away. After that we waited until 12 weeks.
  • Options

So far we told DH's boss for appointment purposes. Also. we told SIL. and a few of my friends. Right now it is on a need to know basis. We probably won't announce it until out anatomy scan or 3rd trimester.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
    BFP #1 - 04/09/10 -- m/c - 07/02/10 @ 20weeks and 3 days. D&C 07/02/2010 - EDD 11/16/10
    BFP #2 12/17/10 please stick turtle. EDD 8/29/11 - Emergency C-Section 7-2-11. Andrew's journey
    Congratulations to my TTCAL buddy Carolee on her BFP! Stick, baby!
    Congratulations to elbandas09, cherylanddoug, tctibbe(MsPegees) and alliejoe for their take home babies!
  • Options
    We told our parents at 14 weeks, after we got the results back from the first part of our sequential screen.  Because of my age we are high risk for Down Syndrome and other disorders, and our last loss was at 11 weeks, so we wanted to get a little further along with some indication this was a healthy baby before we told anyone anything. 
  • Options
    We told a couple close friends right away who we know will be supportive if something happens. We plan on telling my parents this weekend and DH's parents after the ultrasound and first appointment. That will be it until we are out of the first trimester. We are only telling the people who were supportive last time when we had our loss. I'd prefer them to know happy news before bad news.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Started TTC June 2010
    BFP #1
    07/04/10. EDD 03/14/11. Missed m/c 08/09/10. D&C 09/27/10. }Casey & Jaimie{
    BFP #2 01/14/11. EDD 09/25/11. Missed m/c 02/18/11. D&C 02/24/11. }Dustin{
    TTA for 18 months and then TTC for 12 months
    BFP #3 08/18/13. EDD 04/30/14. Missed m/c 09/25/13. D&C 09/26/13. }Daylin{
    TTA for 7 months
    Jan-Mar 2014 - RPL, SHG, karotyping: all results normal
    TTC Again May 2014
    Progesterone & baby aspirin combo for 5 cycles
    - All BFN's
    SA with DNA fragmentation = Perfect results

Diagnostic cycle monitoring = Polycystic ovaries leading to premature egg release
    TTA Oct 2014 - Jan 2015
    Jan 2015 - Medicated cycle with timed intercourse
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic   

My Blog: The Canadian Housewife    PGAL/PAL Welcome    My Chart
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A few of my close girl friends figured it out at around 6 weeks... We told our parents and siblings at 8 weeks.  Then everyone else at 12 weeks. 
    ~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
  • Options
    I told some close friends right away.  I told my mom just before my 6w appt. I told a couple of more friends this weekend (8w) and otherwise I have no intention of telling anyone else any time soon.  I guess I'll just "know" when I'm ready. 
    DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I told my parents right away. Two of my friends who have had m/c and also have been PGAL know, because they have been really supportive and know what this is like. DH told a few of his coworkers because I am restricted from doing much and he has had to leave abruptly a few times. Everyone else, including my brother and DH's entire family, will find out after the results of my NT scan. We have not told DH's family yet because my MIL always tells everyone she knows that I'm pregnant even when we tell her not to. With my m/c, she had to untell tons of people, even though we told her we hadn't had an u/s yet and to please keep it private.
  • Options
    We told our parents/siblings at 6 or 7 weeks. I told a couple close girlfriends around that time as well so I could have support through the first tri. Beyond that, we didn't tell until our big u/s at 20 weeks.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Missed m/c at 17 weeks, partial molar pregnancy d&c 11/30/09
  • Options
    I told my parents and sister and a few close friends right away. 
    I told work at 14 weeks after we had the results of the nt scan.  I announced of fb today. 
    Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My mom was the first person I told, but I was 9 weeks when I told her.  As of now she's the only person who knows.  I'm telling my family at the end of February (I'll be 13w3d) and will probably tell friends around 15ish weeks.

No idea when DH is planning on telling his family.  Probably after I tell mine.

We wanted to wait until we felt more comfortable and confident with everything.  Right now I like that it's a little secret that DH and I can share.

bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • Options
    With my first four pregnancies we told just about everyone immediately.  With this pregnancy, however, we still haven't told our families.  Our losses have been hard on our parents and after the second we got feedback that their thinking was we should stop trying to have children.  So, to save them and us any more grief we decided to wait until I was past the point of our 14 week loss to tell them about this pregnancy.  Just a few more weeks to go and we'll tell them.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I told a couple of my closest girl friends right when I got my BFP. And we told our parents after our first u/s at 6 weeks after we saw the heartbeat. We never told our parents about our first pregnancy and it was hard not to have the support from my mom. This time I wanted my parents support if something should happen. We told a few more close friends and my Grandma after our 10 week u/s. Since we have opted out of the NT scan I am not sure when I will feel comfortable making the announcement to work and the rest of the world. I assumed that once I got to 13 weeks I would feel ready but I am not. We have another appointment at 15 weeks and we will see if we are ready for everyone to know then.
  • Options

We told our parents the day we got the positive test; they knew we were doing a timed cycle, so they were aware we should have an answer sometime around then.

And I was documenting the whole thing in my blog, so friends and family who were reading that knew as well. At that point, me being pregnant - hell, me having a miscarriage - was not a secret or new thing.

• Options
    We did the same thing, pretty much...told our immediate families and closest friends right away. We started leaking the word to others after our 12-week appointment, and even moreso (work, etc) after 16 weeks. We will make an official FB announcement after our anatomy scan today!
  • Options

Told my mom the day I got my BFP. She helped me with the injections so it was bound to come up wondering if I got one.

Jay told his bestfriend, as he was excited to tell someone.

We told his parents and friends who supported us thru our last loss.

Others I am trying to keep my hubby from yelling it on FB.

• Options
    I told one of my closest friends immediately, but we waited to tell my folks and sister until our first ultrasound (7 weeks). Since then we've told a couple other really close friends, but we're planning to wait until after our CVS (scheduled at 11 weeks) to tell DH's parents or our other friends. If something bad happens, we'll actually probably tell our good friends, but we just didn't want everyone to know ahead of time. I think it's a very personal decision.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP 1: 3/19/10 Loss: 7/9/10
    BFP 2: 12/28/10
    My Blog: Losing Sylvia
  • Options
    We told our parents and siblings around 9 weeks.  I was having surgery at 11 weeks and wanted them to know why.  I told my best friend as soon as I got the +hpt.  Other than that we waited until 14 weeks to tell other friends and extended family.
  • Options

We told our immediate family and a few best friends right away. They are the ones who have been privy to our IF/loss history, so even if I end up losing this one too, I'd want them to know.

I told my boss after our NT scan came back healthy.

I haven't made any other annoucements. If asked, I'm not lying, but I didn't have plans to make a huge to do on FB or at work letting everyone know my ute is occupied. I figure the belly will speak for itself soon enough.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    We told parents and siblings about a week after our BFP. It worked out that it was Christmas and everyone was in town so we could tell them in person. We have only told one set of friends b/c we see them a lot and it would be hard to hide. We plan to drop the bomb on the rest of the world after our next appt. I'll be into 2nd tri by then. We did't tell anyone with our first BFP that ended in a m/c and after I wished we had. So this time we went for it. I wanted to be able to celebrate for as much time as possible, and have the support if something does happen this time. I feel like it would be harder for me to say to my family that I was pregnant, but m/c then for them to already know I am pregnant and to share bad news.
    Diagnosed hyperprolactinemia & prolactinoma 3/2010.

Started cabergoline 3/2010.
    Stopped cabergoline with +HPT.
    Levels checked 8/2010 and good.

1st BFP 7/27/2010
    Miscarried 8/7/2010

2nd BFP 12/16/2010
    Daughter born 8/27/11

• Options

Well, I am 14.5 weeks and still haven't told family. A few random friends know -- I was outed at a Tastefully Simple party a while back, which actually turned out well because my fabulous neighbor has been my rock and child care with all the appts. My BFF knows b/c she was visiting from CA and I wanted her to know why I was so sick. And a couple other of my old PGD buddies know. Mostly people I know as singular friends -- not connected to my greater group of friends or family, so I know it's safe and won't make it through the grapevine.

No family yet. We had planned on telling them after we made it past when we lost the last baby (16-17w). I know it's weird but I am so glad we waited. I would not have been able to handle the pressure of my family harrassing me for updates and worrying during this whole CVS ordeal. Plus no one can keep their mouth shut. It's been kind of fun to have the secret just to ourselves though, esp. since I am totally showing and have been dressing like a homeless person when I see them :)

Oh and I won't be making any announcement ever. People outside of immediate fam will figure it out when they see me, or when I have the baby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options

We told our immediate family and some very close friends right away (in fact, my best friends knew before my husband did, as I was on the phone with her when I took my HPT!)  Basically, we let our support system know.  My family was so helpful during my m/c, I can't imagine going through that again without them.  

We will tell the extended family after the 12 week mark providing everything checks out at the docs.

• Options

I am not telling anybody until I absolutely can't hide it under baggy clothes anymore. Even then, I might deny it.

DH only knew because he caught me POAS. If he hadn't, I wouldn't have told him yet.

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • Options

We told our family and a few close friends pretty much right away.

Everyone else found out at 12 weeks after our NT scan.

• Options
    We didn't share with anyone until 12w, after good betas, an u/s and 12w appt with heartbeat on the doppler. If something would have happened to LO in the first tri we would not have kept it a secret. It was so much harder to "take away" BFP#2 through untelling. We would have shared our loss and still received friends and family support, but without giving them the same amount of pain.
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Options

We told our parents/families after the NT scan around 13 weeks, started telling our closest friends around that time too. I just posted my anatomy scan u/s picture on FB last week.

I didn't want to untell a lot of people if something happened. If something were to happen without people knowing, I would tell them what was going on, but they wouldn't have to feel excited about the pregnancy before that I guess was my reasoning.

married 7.3.08 - mc 8.10 - dd 6.4.11 cp 10.13 - bfp 11.13 edd 7.22.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like to wait til after our NT Scan next Friday.
  • Options
    We told yesterday, our immediate family and those close friends who were supportive when we went through our loss.  We figured those were the people that would be genuinely happy and want to hear our news.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We told my parents at about 5.5 weeks and my IL's last week.  I have told a couple close friends and my boss as well (who then outed me to the rest of my team at dinner last week - secret keeping FAIL).  When I mc'd last time it was nice to have the support of my friends and my boss.  We will tell my bro and SIL when we see them in Feb and will tell my H's bro and family in the beginning of the second tri.  We will tell our close friends and family at the beginning of second tri as well.  Everyone else will just find out when they find out.
  • Options
    My mom, sister and SIL knew after we got our beta results.  I couldn't keep it from them.  We told our close friends at 10 weeks, and I just told work last week when I hit 17 weeks. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BFP#1 - 6/8/10 - Missed M/C @ 11w3d - 8/3/10 - D&C 8/5/10 BFP#2 - 10/22/10 - EDD 7/5/11 Beta@13dpo - 45 Beta@15dpo - 105 Beta@22dpo - 5082
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"