Postpartum Depression
Options

When is it considered PPD?

I had my son a little over a month ago and I don't feel like I've bonded with him the way I should. I'm a SAHM right now so I spend lots of time with him, but sometimes I feel like he's not really mine. (does that make sense?) It's weird, I love him very much and don't feel sad or anything like that. And H doesn't understand when I try to talk to him about it. =( Is this normal?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: When is it considered PPD?

• Options
    It's my understanding that PPD can be diagnosed up to a year after LO's birth. Maybe even longer? If you feel in any way unsure, then you should contact your doctor. Don't ignore it. Get the help now, and enjoy your baby!
  • Options
    I have my pp appt tomorrow, I already planned on bringing it up to her but I wanted to get some advice/opinions about it first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesccheerbabe09:
    I have my pp appt tomorrow, I already planned on bringing it up to her but I wanted to get some advice/opinions about it first.

I am glad you will speak up about it. At my 6 week PP check, I lied on my questionnaire for fear of being judged. And I just didn't want to admit to myself that I had a problem. Here I am 8 months later with an official diagnosis. You are doing the right thing. Good luck to you!

• Options
    Im not a doctor but DEF seems like what I experienced with PPD. I was completely unconnected to my DD. I KNEW i loved her and wouldnt hurt her but felt nothng 99% of the time. Good luck tom and tell EVERYTHING. no matter how bad it sounds it actually is normal and they need to know exactly how ur feeling. You are not alone and I was there. It WILL get better
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! It feels good knowing I'm not alone, bc H makes me feel bad about how I feel bc he doesnt understand.
  • Options

my PPD was I was so moody and irritable, nothing soothed or satisified me and I was a major biiitch to DH.  I did not want to work, all I wanted to do was stay home and sleep with DS.

everyone is different, if you think you have PPD, talk to your dr.  

fwiw, I wasn't diagnosed with PPD until DS was 10 months old...that's when I started feeling like craaaaap.  It wasn't until DS was about 3 months old that I started bonding.  At that age, they don't really do much, just sleep, bathroom, and eat.  It's quite boring. 

• Options
    Thank you OP for making me feel not alone.  DD is 8 weeks and i feel that i'm not bonded the way i should be too.  i called our community nurse today and found a drop in mental health clinic when i can talk to someone free of charge so i'm going monday as soon as they open they are closed today, weird! i don't feel right and i want to cry all the time and i can't talk to DH abotu it cause he just won't understand even though he is such a huge support..i'm lookingforward to geting help.
  • Options

imageMcCradyToBe:
    Thank you OP for making me feel not alone.  DD is 8 weeks and i feel that i'm not bonded the way i should be too.  i called our community nurse today and found a drop in mental health clinic when i can talk to someone free of charge so i'm going monday as soon as they open they are closed today, weird! i don't feel right and i want to cry all the time and i can't talk to DH abotu it cause he just won't understand even though he is such a huge support..i'm lookingforward to geting help.

Im glad you are getting help also. The more I talk about it with other moms and support groups, the better I feel. I'm starting to connect more with LO and not feeling so alone or guilty for feeling this way. H is starting to be more understanding as well.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"