Accidentally made food with honey for dinner and Dylan ate it! — The Bump
Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Accidentally made food with honey for dinner and Dylan ate it!

So I am a freaking idiot and we got home late and I made BBQ chicken. Oh yeah it was HONEY BBQ! After we all ate I was cleaning up and realized it when I went to put the BBQ away. What do I do now? Does is make a difference that it was cooked? Should I call the pedi. I am kicking myself big time and honestly freaking out a bit...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Accidentally made food with honey for dinner and Dylan ate it!

  • I'm pretty sure it's okay if the honey has been cooked.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If it's cooked, you're good.
    Effing crazy people.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did this recently. I found that the botulism spore can be killed by boiling. When I make barbeque sauce, I bring it to a boil, so hopefully there is no problem with your sauce. 
  • I think he'll be fine. DH accidentally gave DS various nuts on several occasions and he has been fine so far.

    Just keep an eye on him but I doubt he ate enough to make him sick, and the fact that you cooked it should help kill any bacteria.

  • image Fuzzy8252:
    I'm pretty sure it's okay if the honey has been cooked.

    This is what our Pedi said. Honey nut cheerios are okay because the honey has been baked.  

    Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • image kate930:
    I did this recently. I found that the botulism spore can be killed by boiling. When I make barbeque sauce, I bring it to a boil, so hopefully there is no problem with your sauce. 
    Yeah it was in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees it was for sure boiling. Whew thank you I was freaking out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol
  • image Hip2Bsquare:
    Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol

    Yes  I accidentally gave DS peanut butter at 10 months. he is all good.

  • image murfygirl:

    image Hip2Bsquare:
    Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol

    Yes  I accidentally gave DS peanut butter at 10 months. he is all good.

    but the risks from honey and peanut butter are very different. Peanut butter has to do with an allergen, honey has to do with their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the botulism spores naturally found in honey.

  • image kate930:
    image murfygirl:

    image Hip2Bsquare:
    Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol

    Yes  I accidentally gave DS peanut butter at 10 months. he is all good.

    but the risks from honey and peanut butter are very different. Peanut butter has to do with an allergen, honey has to do with their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the botulism spores naturally found in honey.

    Although I agree it's different he is so close to one it's not like she accidentally gave it to her 3 month old.

  • image murfygirl:
    image kate930:
    image murfygirl:

    image Hip2Bsquare:
    Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol

    Yes  I accidentally gave DS peanut butter at 10 months. he is all good.

    but the risks from honey and peanut butter are very different. Peanut butter has to do with an allergen, honey has to do with their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the botulism spores naturally found in honey.

    Although I agree it's different he is so close to one it's not like she accidentally gave it to her 3 month old.

    Not to mention it's just honey in bbq sauce that she cooked. It's not like she spoon fed him honey

  • you're fine!  they say to stay away from honey b/c of botulism.  which, i can imagine would be killed at the high cooking temps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image murfygirl:
    image murfygirl:
    image kate930:
    image murfygirl:

    image Hip2Bsquare:
    Meh He's 10 months....that's close enough to 1 yr. I don't think 60 days are going to make too much of a difference. lol

    Yes  I accidentally gave DS peanut butter at 10 months. he is all good.

    but the risks from honey and peanut butter are very different. Peanut butter has to do with an allergen, honey has to do with their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the botulism spores naturally found in honey.

    Although I agree it's different he is so close to one it's not like she accidentally gave it to her 3 month old.

    Not to mention it's just honey in bbq sauce that she cooked. It's not like she spoon fed him honey

    I agree with that completely and even told her above that Dylan is fine. I was just speaking to the analogy of honey and peanut butter.  

  • image kate930:

    I agree with that completely and even told her above that Dylan is fine. I was just speaking to the analogy of honey and peanut butter.  

    Probably not the best analogy just saying it happens you feed them stuff that has no no food in it without thinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards