Breastfeeding
Options

BLW

Hi all! I've been interested in BLW since before LO was born, and we're likely going to start introducing solids in the next week or two. I've been reading the BLW book, combed various Web sites, and we have our pedi appt. on Wednesday, and I'm going to discuss BLW with her then.

But I'm already facing questions/criticism from family and friends who question BLW. And as I'm reading, I'm curious to hear from "real people" about why they chose BLW and what their experiences have been ... 

Anyone have a story to share?  Can't-be-missed resource? Advice?

Thanks in advance! I'm excited to start solids with DD, but I'm a little anxious, too :)

Re: BLW

• Options

BLW worked our wonderfully for us.  I liked the idea of letting DD be in control of what went in her mouth.  I didn't want to be shoveling food into her mouth/tummy or playing games to get her to eat.  I also thought that it would be better to have a more relaxed approach to food and allow her to be in control of what/how much she ate.

Also, our DD didn't really start actually eating very much until she was 9-10 months old.  Momma milk still made up a great portion of her diet from 6 months until about 10 months.  II figure that most babies who eat purees are probably eating finger foods by that time anwyay.  6-10 months was just about her exploring the foods and being a part of family meals in an enjoyable way.

As far as what our ped thought about it.  They had some comments/warnings about allergies and choking, but I didn't really care.  I go to them for medical advice, not for parenting advice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here's my long version answer: https://www.becomingmamas.com/baby-led-weaning-an-alternative-approach-to-starting-solids/

But in short...it was great for us!  We chose BLW because it seemed like the more intuitive way to do solids, especially since I continued to nurse on demand - he'd always set the pace so it seemed more natural to let him continue to do so.  It was also less stressful for me in that I didn't have to try to get him to take in food or worry about what he was or wasn't eating since he was in control.  Finally, it seemed like a better way to more gradually move from BM to solids as the first few months really were just about him exploring food and not getting calories from it.

FWIW, our pedi was totally fine with it ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"