Minnesota Babies
Options

Hunting for Mpls ObGyn + Hospital

I live in NE Minneapolis and work downtown and am looking for a new OBGyn. I typically go to Fairview Riverside and they won't see me until 10 weeks, which I think is too long. I'm also wondering what are the best hospitals for delivery. I'm willing to travel 20m. Thanks for any tips!

Re: Hunting for Mpls ObGyn + Hospital

• Options

It is unlikely you will find an OB that will see you before 8-10 weeks unless you have something that makes you high risk or you had previous losses. 

8-10 weeks is standard for most midwives and OBs.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagepreg_amy:

It is unlikely you will find an OB that will see you before 8-10 weeks unless you have something that makes you high risk or you had previous losses. 

8-10 weeks is standard for most midwives and OBs.

I agree.  If you start having concerning symptoms, such as extreme cramping or heavy bleeding, I am sure they will see you earlier, but 10 weeks sounds reasonable to me.

What are your concerns that you think 10 weeks is too long?

(I know for me I was excited for my first appointment, so I was disappointed that they didn't schedule me until that point, but I couldn't come up with a medical reason why that wasn't appropriate.)

Congrats on your pregnancy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No concerns so far, except I stupidly put on nail polish the other day containing harmful chemicals, and I'm sure I'm doing a ton of other things wrong.

Everything I read says to be uber careful in the first trimester, but I have no guidance! Seeing a doctor would make me feel better, and I read somewhere that 6-8 weeks was the norm for the first appt, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Options

Yep, I go to Healthpartners, and they just like to see you "sometime in the first trimester" they told me when I was pregnant, but not before 8 weeks.

And it's hard to look for hospital recommendations until you have a doc, because they all deliver at certain hospitals. But I delivered at Abbott and had a great experience there!

imageCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    imageskepticaljen:

No concerns so far, except I stupidly put on nail polish the other day containing harmful chemicals, and I'm sure I'm doing a ton of other things wrong.

Everything I read says to be uber careful in the first trimester, but I have no guidance! Seeing a doctor would make me feel better, and I read somewhere that 6-8 weeks was the norm for the first appt, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ummm... yeah, concerning the nail polish, you're fine.  There.  Cheapest OB appointment in the world.

Allina clinic (all locations, I think) has a group appointment that you go to before your first appointment.  It's with a nurse, but they give you a book and a list of safe meds and foods to avoid.  That way you don't waste the OB or midwife's time asking about nail polish.  They still won't see you until close to ten weeks, but I imagine that will help with what you need.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Once you have picked an OB or midwife you can call the nurse line of your clinic to ask them any questions you have. As for the nail polish, your safe! There are lots of things you can do while pregnant and painting your nails and removing nail polish is one of them. Unless you are using some extremely toxic nail polish in which case would be harmful to you pregnant or not.
    Happy mommy to a sweet baby boy! CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I was also going to say that Allina has an appt at the 6 week or around there.. But like PP said it is a group appt with a nurse but I was in the same situation as you wanting to get in the sooner the better and it was reassuring.. Although I will have to say I switched to North Metro Midwives and they are AMAZING! The deliver at Maple Grove which is also AMAZING! (Although I didn't have the chance to deliver there, I was there for a couple different false alarms) Good luck with everything though! I know the first trimester is intimidating but soon enough you will have LO in your arms and it will all be so worth it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I recommend St. Joseph's in St. Paul. I had a midwife from a clinic in Shoreview that delivered there. I had an excellent experience with both my midwife and the hospital. The nurses were great. If you're interested in a water birth they have a tub (I did and hope to do it again for LO #2 someday). We took the birthing classes there and had an awesome teacher. She did a great job teaching us what can happen and to advocate for ourselves?something friends of mine who went to other hospitals did not have.
  • Options

Thanks for all the tips, but I decided to go to John A. Haugen Associates downtown. They are seeing at me 7 weeks and it is super convenient to my work. That means I will deliver at Abbot Northwestern. I hope I can hear the heartbeat at my first appt tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"