Preemies
Options

Baby's First Words

What were your baby's first words?  And when did they first start talking and understanding what they were saying?  I thought my baby said "Uh-Oh" yesterday, but maybe that was just me trying to decipher his baby babble.  Is there anything I can do to help him with his first words?  My baby is 8 months actual, and 6 months adjusted right now. 
imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.

Re: Baby's First Words

• Options

I'd say just talk to him all the time. :) DD was an early talker and is extremely verbal for her age, and I attribute a lot of it to H and I speaking to her in normal, adult sentences all the time. DD's first non-babble word was "daddy" at 7 months ( I guess 6 adjusted but we didn't do much adjusted age), adding "hi" a few weeks later and putting them together for "hi daddy!" at 8 months. 

• Options
    My DS said his first real word (car) around 14 months actual (so 11.5 months adjusted).  Soon after that he started with other words: ball, book, bubble, etc. He now says about 15 words.  I think reading to them is helpful and I also think speaking in adult words is good too.  I talk to DS all the time, I try to narrate what I'm doing ("mommy is pouring milk into your cup", etc.) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Andrew says "car" and "gagi" (means daddy) and a couple of babbling sounds.  He is 2 yrs old. his first babble was at 11 1/2 months...sounds like your LO is doing great even if she did or didn't intentionally saying "uh oh!" :)
  • Options
    DD started saying her first words around 12 months (I think!). Now she says "Daddy, Mama, duck, fish, hi, cracker, doggie" and I might be forgetting a couple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Drew's first word was, "Momma." Much to my delight!  that was around 10 months. Now he says, "momma", "Dadda" and "Ava" (big sister). He babbles all the time, but only has those 3 discernible words.

• Options
    DD said her first word over the weekend.  She will be 9mos actual, 7 adj on Fri.  We thought it was babbling but she actually looked for me and said "mama" multiple times throughout the day so we're counting it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"