Hawaii Babies

biting?

Soooo...both the boys - but ESPECIALLY Dash - have started biting lately. And by biting, I mean biting everything...toys, clothes (weird, he'll grab my shirt or pants and bite), hands, arms, shoulders, legs, basically anything he can get his mouth near. And those six little teeth can hurt!

I've been saying, "NO! No biting!" and pulling him away from whatever he's chomping, but is there anything else I can/should be doing? I'm assuming it's just a phase now that he's discovered he has awesome teeth and wants to use them on everything (he also likes putting his Cheerios inbetween his teeth and crunching down on them), but it's such a pain to cuddle my little man and end up with teeth marks in my shoulder!

Re: biting?

• she went through a (thankfully) short phase where she was biting my nipples Surprise I told her "no biting" and then ignored her for a minute.

right now she likes to bite cloth and i give her a washcloth to chew on.  if you wet one and put it in the freezer for a bit it's great for teething! (don't leave it in too long or it will end up too hard)

i don't know what to tell you besides keep doing what you're doing with the firm "no biting" and redirecting them towards things that they are allowed to bite.  i can't believe he'll bite your shoulder! that's crazy! unfortunately i think it's just another phase you just have to ride out

• imagemrspresley:

unfortunately i think it's just another phase you just have to ride out

Bella bit me once on the flight, I think it was due to her ears not popping. It hurt like hell! That said she does like to bite things around the house, toys, clothes, etc. I think it helps with teething pain... She's getting molars now! She's, thankfully, never tried to bite another child. 

When I taught daycare we would firmly say NO BITING in a loud serious tone and redirect... if older kids (2-3 yr olds) were biters then they got a timeout for the first offense and kicked out for a week for the second! Harsh but also dangerous if the victim is another child! 

• Loading the player...
  • imageMrsZiz:
    if older kids (2-3 yr olds) were biters then they got a timeout for the first offense and kicked out for a week for the second! Harsh but also dangerous if the victim is another child! 

This is what I'm mostly worried about...that it's a habit he'll make and not break now and will end up hurting another kid. Sad

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best - thanks, ladies!

• I agree with Jaime's advice. A went through a phase of biting, then gosh-awful teeth grinding, for about a month, but is nearly over it now. I'm sure the boys' are just experimenting and soon will be on to new discoveries! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelola808:
    I agree with Jaime's advice. A went through a phase of biting, then gosh-awful teeth grinding, for about a month, but is nearly over it now. I'm sure the boys' are just experimenting and soon will be on to new discoveries! :)

I was just going to say, be thankful they aren't grinding the teeth yet!  LB still bites on lots of stuff, mostly on the decals on my shirts (don't understand, but whatever - mostly at night when he's trying to go to sleep), but he does end up biting skin sometimes, and I just say NO BITING firmly and he gets it.  He's actually getting better at grabbing a bunch of material in his hands and bringing it to his mouth to bite, lol.  

• Jack does that usually when he's getting a new tooth (he will bite anything) but DID have a period a couple of months ago when he seemed especially interested in biting people! 

He grew out of it, but I did always say NO, that is mean/not nice/OUCH, etc.

They had to watch him at school too, because he would act loving and lean down and try to bite another kids foot or something crazy.

He doesn't do that anymore on a regular basis (can't remember the last time I had to remind him it's no ok).  So I guess just keep doing what you are doing and hope he grows out of it!

• imageMauiWedding08:
    he would act loving and lean down and try to bite another kids foot or something crazy.

Big Smile this makes me laugh

• imagemrspresley:

imageMauiWedding08:
    he would act loving and lean down and try to bite another kids foot or something crazy.

Big Smile this makes me laugh

LOL this is exactly it!!! Dash will get this adoring look on his face, reach out, snuggle his face into you...and then CHOMP. Maybe he thinks it's a sign of love? Stick out tongue

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"