Preemies
Options

Share your gas remedies!!

My poor DS seems to struggle with gas after almost every bottle. It eventually passes but some episodes are worse than others and I hate watching him suffer through this. I am pumping and bottle feeding BM and have been staying away from gassy foods. I currently use Born Free bottles (I've gotten some recommendations to switch to Dr Browns?)

He was a 34 weeker and is 5 weeks old today. I know preemies suffer from gas issues but I guess I was hoping this would work itself out eventually.

Has anyone had success with gripe water? I'm considering running out to a pharmacy tonight to pick some up and give it a try.

Re: Share your gas remedies!!

• Options
    We rub his back while hes laying on my chest. Give him tummy time. Do bike kicks. Mylicon is gold in this house! Good luck!
  • Options
    If you are using formula at all use the premixed kind.  That made a huge difference and I know alot of friends who swear by mylican.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Dr. Brown's Bottles worked well for us. 

And if/when things got bad and bicycle legs, tummy time, etc. weren't working we used a product called HappiTummi (they have a website www.HappiTummi.com I think) that I got at a shower.  It is marketed for babies with colic, but it works for gas.  It is basically a minki fabric covered band that you velcro around their bellies.  It has herbs and probably rice or something similar inside and you warm it very briefly in the microwave before putting it on them.  DD would respond to it immediately.  She would get calm, let out the gas and fall asleep pretty quickly.  We were amazed at how well and how quickly it worked for her!

Good luck!

• Options
    We use Dr. Brown's bottles and Mylicon for DD.  For DS, the gas problem was one of the first indicators of his inability to digest milk proteins from my diet (he only got expressed milk, too).  He ended up with other symptoms (bloody mucus  in stool) that sealed the deal on the dx.  Just file that away if everything else you try doesn't work.  The cure for DS was me changing my diet.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We used DR Brown's too, and Mylicon helped us get more burps out of him to prevent the gas from building up -

other than that, if we bicycled his legs for about 10 minutes all kinds of foul things came out! :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"