Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

What is my sister thinking?

She started her daughter on solids around 4.5 months old which is totally up to her...I sent her the website kellymom.com and wholesomebabyfood.com and did try to tell her what the recommended age was to begin solids was.

TODAY she told me that she watched a documentary on not giving babies fruit until 6 months old. She said because of the fructose it makes babies gain weight or something? I am really surprised about this info. I have never ever heard this before. I would think that it would've come up on the bump at least once. My sister is going to only feed veggies and grains for another month (her daughter just turned 5 months old). I mean I guess that is healthy? I told her that it's a myth that if you give fruit your baby won't like veggies. My daughter is proof because I have given fruit in the 6 month plenty of times and DD still loves her veggies and eats very well. has anyone seen this documentary? I have never heard about it.

My sister also gave her 5 month old daughter a REAL Mohawk (shaved sides and all). I kinda wanted to weep for my neice's hair. My daughter can still barely hold a barrette let alone be ready for a haircut. She posted the pictures on facebook too.

I am doing my best to not judge and let her find her own way as a parent. 

Re: What is my sister thinking?

• Options

Well, I didn't give fruit (or anything for that matter) until 6 months, I don't see how her situation in not giving fruit is different.

I won't even touch the mohawk. Really?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    She sounds cray cray, but on the bright side, waiting on fruit won't hurt her lo. Weird, ive never heard that either. I wonder what kind of documentary it was?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Isn't it the hardest thing to see how our nephews/nieces are being raised.

It's so frusterating!!

• Options

My friend is feeding her 8 week old rice cereal and wrote on her FB wall that the baby "loses her patience with spoon feeding".  SHE EIGHT EFFING WEEKS OLD!!!!!!

This is also her 3rd kid, so presumably she knows what she's doing...?

PS - I don't judge you for judging her.  At all.  Stick out tongue

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I can't get past the mohawk.
  • Options

No, I agree not giving her fruit isn't going to hurt her but the thinking around it is kinda weird. I just never heard FRUIT making your baby gain weight and it being a big enough problem. Plus her baby is on the small side so I don't think it would hurt her to gain some weight. She has called me before concerned about her milk supply and her DD possibly not getting enough food and maybe she should start giving solids etc and so on and so on. I did my best to get her to hold off solids but oh well you could totally tell she just wanted to.

I just have been taught that a baby that gains weight is growing and not to be concerned too much about weight because they will lose it once they start moving.

• Options

imagesleepingbeauty825:
    She sounds cray cray, but on the bright side, waiting on fruit won't hurt her lo. Weird, ive never heard that either. I wonder what kind of documentary it was?

SB you have no idea! lol

• Options
    Never heard of such a document! Don't think it will hurt LO to hold on fruit though. As for giving a 5 month old a mohawk? I won't go there.
  • Options

imagebobbyme:
    I can't get past the mohawk.

I wish I could post pics so bad! My niece is adorable and had some of the longest loveliest hair!

• Options

imagemrshaines:
    Never heard of such a document! Don't think it will hurt LO to hold on fruit though. As for giving a 5 month old a mohawk? I won't go there.

It's alright you can go there if you want. lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"