D.C. Area Babies
Options

how to get a toddler to increase fluide intake?

Warner's stomach bug is still hanging around...fortunately the puking is over, but he still have a fever and diarrhea and he's barely eating or drinking anything.

We went to the doctor today and he basically said to get to him drink all the fluids we can. But he'll hardly drink anything! This morning he did drink about 2/3 of his cup of water and ate half a bowl of apple sauce, but the rest of the day it was like pulling teeth to get him to even take a sip of water or milk (hemp milk). I think he ate like 5 goldfish, another 1/2 serving of applesauce, and 2 spoonfuls of jello and that was it for the whole day.

I've tried flavored Pedialyte, which he hated. I tried unflavored Pedialyte mixed with 3 different types of juices and he rejected each one. 

We tried every bribe and game we could think to get him to drink more today, but he was having none of it. Any suggestions?

Re: how to get a toddler to increase fluide intake?

• Options
    Popsicles! I found some brand that was advertised as "slow melt", they have gelatin mixed in, and they are perfect for a slow eating toddler. The last time Tony had the stomach bug these really helped us, because he wants to eat them as as a treat. Good luck!
  • Options

imagernin02:
    Popsicles! I found some brand that was advertised as "slow melt", they have gelatin mixed in, and they are perfect for a slow eating toddler. The last time Tony had the stomach bug these really helped us, because he wants to eat them as as a treat. Good luck!

Ditto.  Our daughter hated the Pedialyte drink but loved the Pedialyte popsicles.  Popsicles in general were a lifesaver the last time she had a stomach bug.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, I was going to say popcicles as well. DD loves them. I hope he gets better soon.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD loves popsicles too! we usually make them with apple or orange juice and she slurps them up. My dad gave us one of those Zoku popsicle makers last year and I pretty sure we use it everyday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How about buying a "fun" new sippy.  whenever DS gets a new sippy he drinks like a camel.  He loves the sport top nuby cups.   
  • Options

just a warning - DD hated Pedialyte, even in popsickle form, I was basically out of my mind for a few days b/c she wouldn't take in any fluids!

what about water-full foods, such as cucumber?

• Options
    I hope your LO is feeling better and that you've had luck getting more fluids into him. My first suggestion is to try a cup that he sees you and/or his daddy drink out of and use a straw. I drink out of Tervis Tumblers all day long. I recently got two smaller ones for my LO. He feels like such a big kid when he uses his TTs.

Does jello count towards fluid? That may be something he could eat but is still gentle on the tummy.

Have you tried giving him Sprite or Ginger Ale? I know that, as a rule, many parents avoid soft drinks, but, IMO, the sugar and calories are a positive when recovering from the flu.

Good luck. My LO had the flu in December, and it was no fun.
  • Options
    imageSofka:

just a warning - DD hated Pedialyte, even in popsickle form, I was basically out of my mind for a few days b/c she wouldn't take in any fluids!

what about water-full foods, such as cucumber?

Same here, Pedialyte is the enemy for us:) 

I agree with the last poster too, if we let Tony drink from a "real" cup like we use, it loves it. 

• Options
    This is late to the game, but we use Gatorade.  DS loves the stuff, but hates Pedialyte.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"