Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Suppository help!

My DS had one BM on Wed ( he usually has at least 3 per day) and has not had one since. Today I gave him one ounce prune juice in a bottle with no result.  Then I called the clinic and they said to give him a glycerin suppository, so I did that. Then about 20 minutes later he had diarrhea but when I changed his diaper there was the suppository just lying there. I am worried that it didn't work like it should. Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom to share? TIA!

Re: Suppository help!

• Options

Is he in pain? When DD1 was a baby, it wasn't odd for her to not have a bm for a while. The pedi always said "it's not quantity, it's quality" so not to worry, unless the poop was a strange color or consistency, or it looked like she was having trouble pooping.

• Options
    When we use a suppository, my DH holds it in until the poop comes out.  We also break it in half.  It's normal to find the suppository in the diaper.  There's also a good chance he'll have another good bowel movement because it lubes up his bowels pretty well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefoster49:
    My DS had one BM on Wed ( he usually has at least 3 per day) and has not had one since. Today I gave him one ounce prune juice in a bottle with no result.  Then I called the clinic and they said to give him a glycerin suppository, so I did that. Then about 20 minutes later he had diarrhea but when I changed his diaper there was the suppository just lying there. I am worried that it didn't work like it should. Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom to share? TIA!

is he breastfed its normal for breastfed babies not to poop as offten (some once a week)

it can work and the suppository will still look whole. also sometimes it takes a little while to have juice work its not instant in some babies. 

• Options

Thanks for the replies! He is breastfed but I just started rice cereal when he turned 4 months and I just added a second serving on Wednesday, so I am wondering if that is backing him up.  He seems to be very uncomfortable and has not been sleeping very well at all.  Should I try another suppository tomorrow?  I feel so helpless!  We are trying to make him comfortable by doing bicycle legs and massaging his tummy...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"