LGBT Parenting
Options

Grumble

We've really had no issues being a 2 mom family at our kids' school. We are the first same-sex family that they've had and we've been pleased with everyone's response.

When I got to school and one of the teacher's aids (who we don't like very much - but has nothing to do with us being gay) came running up and said, "I just wanted you to know that we were talking about families and I was saying that everyone has a mommy and a daddy. Some people don't live with their mommy or daddy, but everyone has one. I told them some people live with 2 moms or 2 days or 1 mom or 1 dad or grandparents, etc - but everyone has 1 mom and 1 dad. I just wanted you to know in case they say something."...then she babbled on about her own kids and how they don't live with their father, etc.

Me:  Sigh. "Well, they don't have a dad, a daddy, or a father. To us those terms denote someone who is a parent - either in the home or not.They do not have a male parent in that sense. We don't know who their donor is and he isn't a parent to them. They know that they have 2 moms and because the kids don't understand or haven't asked about biology, we haven't talked about their donor yet - his gift to us and how his gift allowed us to have them."

I get that she was saying that that it takes a man/sperm to have a child, but she wasn't giving a biology lesson - she was talking about family composition. The kids didn't ask about having a father - and we read the Family Book that night at bed. I brought the Family Book (and the Mommy Book Stick out tongue) in to their school for her to read. L was pretty upset and you can be sure we'll be discussing this with the lead teacher at our parent-teacher conference next week.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Grumble

• Options
    I would have been upset. Just me though..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would have been upset as well. I think you handled it marvelously with the educational book and the concept of donor vs. 'known in an intimate way' dad. Let me know how it turns out!
    Mommies to 5 fur babies!
    TTC#1 since 2004
    LGBT
    4 cycles @ home with known donor - BFN
    RE un-medicated IUI cycles # 1-7= BFN
    NEW RE Clomid 50mg/ Ovidrel/ IUI #8 BFN
    Took long break
    Nov 2009 - Clomid 50mg/ Ovidrel/IUI #9 = BFP
    Beta 12/4 - 10...Beta #2 12/7- 28 Beta #3 12/9 - 80!
    1st sonogram 12/28 - slow hb and growth
    m/c 1/1/2010 Courtland 8w0d
    Nov 2010 cycle cancelled - polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    April 4 2011 - IUI #10 BFFN
    July 5, 2011 - #11 BFFN AMH .62 Boo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If she felt it was a problem that she needed to come running to you with , you would think maybe she should have discussed how to adress this ahead of time rather than trying to backtrack.

Sorry she is such a  dimwit. Hopefully she will have learned something from this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecymru:

Sorry she is such a  dimwit. Hopefully she will have learned something from this.

Agreed. She obviously understood she didn't explain things appropriately so I think it's great you are taking in books and going to talk to the lead teacher.

And I think we need to use the word 'dimwit' more often around here ;-)

• Options
    imagecymru:

Agreed. She obviously understood she didn't explain things appropriately so I think it's great you are taking in books and going to talk to the lead teacher.

And I think we need to use the word 'dimwit' more often around here ;-)

• Options

aww man .. well she is just an aid and when i work for a elementary school we were not allowed to do things like that and our school was BIG ON DIVERSITY. 

You did handle it amazingly I would of lost my Sh***. 

What books are you talking about would love to know so we can get them

-J&M

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options

This is the book

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Book-Todd-Parr/dp/0316738964

When L went to pick them up, the aid that she hadn't read the books because she felt that the lead teacher should read it (she is out of town this week.) I think she knew she was over her head. :P

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think she handled it very well.  I would have been disapointed but not mad I guess.  She was not trying to be disrepectful I think in the moment she got off track and didn't know how to get back on.  I would def. talk to the lead teacher and explain what your boys understand of their family and how you would like it handled in the class room.  I think this is a teachable moment for both the school and the boys teachers. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you handled this very well. Great idea to take in the books. I agree it's a nice teachable moment. Let us know how it goes at the parent-teacher conference!
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

Sounds like you handled it very well!  I would have been very disappointed to.  Classic case of someone putting adult thoughts (I know it takes a man and a woman to create a child) on kids who don't yet need that information.

I'll be interested to hear if anything else comes of this!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like you handled it so well....but ugh, sometimes I forget in the "handling it well" that we still get to be irritated that it happened to begin with...anyone else know what I mean?  Great job and best of luck with the lead teacher.
  • Options
    Call me b!tchy, but i would have been really irritated.  I think the teacher's conversation with the kids was totally inappropriate.
  • Options
    I can totally go there with you, CT.  Why is there a need to say "everyone has one"?  I just don't get why that is a point that needs to be made. At.all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"