Pregnant after 35

Need must-have registry ideas!

Hey ladies- 1st time Mom here, so I need some registry ideas.  What are some baby products that you cannot live without?  (be specific!) 

Thanks so much for the help!  PS- We're having a boy and plan to register at BRU and Pottery Barn Kids....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need must-have registry ideas!

• I'll be watching this thread closely - I went through a bunch of lists and frankly I'm overwhelmed by the TONS of baby stuff out there.  I guess I'm still old school - blankets, diapers, and a few onsies...everything else just gets in the way!!

I'm dreading the influx of "Baby Storm 2011" in our house - I really dread tripping over baby gear and washing endless loads of baby clothes.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the excitement will kick in eventually, it did with my first 2 as well - but until then I'm having a hard time with picking 'gear' for this baby.

• A quick list off the top of my head - the essentials:  diapers (newborn size and size 1), wipes, 1 piece bodysuits (for wearing 24x7 for the first couple of months), carseat (carrier type works well for newborn), extra carseat base if you have 2 cars, stroller, cloth diapers (birdseye prefold work well) for burping baby, a few nicer looking burp cloths for when you're out and about, changing pad, waterproof changing pad covers or cloths to put on the changing pad (that are easily machine washable), swaddling blankets, bottles, bouncey seat, play mat (that has toys that hang overhead), bibs, boppy pillow (esp. if you plan to bf), diaper bag, bath seat, hooded towel, baby wash and lotion

I'm not sure what your plans are for where the baby will sleep in the beginning.  If the crib is upstairs, it's nice to have a pack-n-play or moses basket on the 1st floor where the baby can nap.

Other items that you won't need right away, but if you want to add to your registry, it's nice to have someone buy them for you:  high chair, feeding utensils (spoons, bowls)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton... I'm trying to think of what things I need to pull out of the attic myself!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • here's a list form Consumer Reports......

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/news/new-baby-basics-1105/overview/index.htm

Seems pretty much on target.....

They also recommend that you NOT buy the following:

Baby bath seats. These seats attach to the side of the tub; older models may attach to the bottom with suction cups. Either way, they can give parents a false sense of security. They've been associated with roughly 120 drownings and 160 injuries since 1983. Nearly all those deaths occurred when a parent or caregiver left the baby unattended momentarily. Note that baby bath seats are different from baby bathtubs, which have a steeply angled back or sling insert that helps the parent support the baby during baths. Baby bathtubs are useful, provided caretakers don't leave the child unattended. Consumers Union was among the first organizations to call for a ban on baby bath seats, in 2000. A new design emerged in early 2005; our tests found it to be unsafe.

Soft bedding. The ads in baby magazines suggest that if your crib isn't spilling over with frills and fluff, you're somehow shirking your parental duty. In fact, the safest crib is one that has a firm mattress, a snug-fitting mattress pad, and a fitted crib sheet, and nothing else; no puffy bumper guards, no stuffed animals, no pillows, no quilts. Experts have long recognized that such soft crib bedding creates the risk of suffocation. For bedtime in winter, dress your infant in a one-piece bunting. If you insist on a blanket, keep it at waist height, tucking ends firmly under the sides and bottom of the mattress.

Sleep positioners. These are wedge-shape pieces of foam meant to keep infants in a secure sleeping position. But we believe they're a suffocation hazard and our medical experts don't recommend them.

Changing tables with only three side rails. Changing tables are associated with 2,000 to 3,000 injuries per year, especially ones with only three side rails. The latest industry standard requires flat changing tables to have barriers on all four sides. Buy this type.
  • Here are a few things-

The one thing we've loved is the Fisher Price Rock n' Play sleeper. Our little girl sleeps in it every night and it's been a life saver because she has trouble keeping her milk down.  What I love about it is that it's light weight, folds for traveling and it rocks so easily that she can actually rock herself back to sleep when she gets fussy.  This also means we have yet to use the pack n' play or the beautiful crib, but we will. 

I also love the Boppy for breast feeding. I use it every day.  

An odd thing that I would recommend (especially for breast feeding moms) is a big water bottle with a handle and a straw.  I was SOO thirsty those first couple of weeks and having a large supply of water next to the bed meant I didn't have to refill it over night. Life saver!

Night lights, especially if little one will be in your room at first.  I changed the bulb on my night stand to a night light bulb and we have another one on the changing table.  It's great because I can be up with the baby and not wake up my husband. 

Another thing...get a bunch of the inexpensive baby wash cloths from Target (Circo brand).  They're great for wiping off the baby's mouth, bathing, etc. They also make great baby wipes if you don't want to go the disposable route. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here is a link to my Pottery Barn Kids registry:

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/registry/2187426/registry-list.html

I really like the chamois changing pad cover and chamois crib sheets.  We use the Chamois Stroller Blanket a lot with our infant car seat/frame stroller and our big boy stroller.  The gingham hooded towel and washcloths are good.  I am using the nursery bowls right now to feed my baby (see signature).  I loved his Snowman Christmas Stocking that had my baby's name on it.  The first hybrid chair with his name on it is adorable.  And the Nursery Horse Rocker is cute--we are hanging bibs on it right now and putting his quilt on it--it will be a while until he uses it--but it looks really adorable. 

I also have a registry on BRU-Diana Coonelly, State of Washington. 

I like the Dr. Browns Bottles Infant Gift Set. 

I like Mustela Body Wash, Hydra Bebe Body Lotion, Physiobebe No-Rinse Cleansing Fluid, Facial Cleansing Cloths, and Musti Eau de Soin (Baby Cologne-it is baby fresh). 

I really liked our Puj Tub. 

I love our Baby Einstein bouncer and Baby Einstein Discovery Center Around the World Entertainer. 

And I have been happy with our Chocolate Brown Delta Duval Crib and Changing Table. 

I really like the Aden and Anais Safari Friends SwaddlePlus Wraps. 

And I got the Aden and Anais Boys N Toys Swaddle Wraps and Burpy Bibs (Boys N Toys and Safari Friends) from www.diapers.com

image   image  image

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I cannot recommend the Ergo baby carrier enough. It is AMAZING.  With an infant insert, you can wear a newborn on your front.  PLUS I am *still* wearing my 2.5 yr old on my back in it. It is fantastic at the zoo when she can't see over railings in her stroller and when we travel I wear her on & off the plane. Makes her feel safe & my hands are free!

Yes, the ergo is expensive. But trust me on this - it is worth every. single. penny.

https://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

• Thought of something else. 

For us, the SwaddleMe wraps were a lifesaver.  The lack of sleep really is hard at the beginning, and the swaddle me wraps are so easy you can do them in the dark & half asleep!  :)

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3726430

• There's sooo much stuff out there!  It's good to add to your list a bit at a time, you really don't need to go all at once.  Pick the big stuff, maybe, and fill in the blanks as you go.  :)

I used the boppy like crazy, get extra boppy covers with that 'cause it can get pretty dirty.  There are some great, fun covers on Etsy.  I second the endorsement of the Ergo carrier, it's really very good.  You might want both a bouncer and a swing for putting the baby down now and again, you never know which the baby will like better.  

Good luck! 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • a great book that I got last time that helped me pick *which* brands to get.. and I think they update it each year ....it is called Baby Bargains... they also publish a book called Baby 411.. both were invaluable..

Baby Bargains lists things you need and things you don't... they rate them and gives you good advice for what to look for.

Baby 411 is a quick and easy to flip through reference book with information for when you have a newborn... Was SO HELPFUL when I struggled with BFing..switched to formula.. etc., colick... sleep patterns.. etc... I bought so many books and this was by far my favorite and most useful.

As for some specifics.. I had a fantastic pack n play with a changing table/newborn napper/bassinet/ everything.. I LOVED it in our small apt that we lived in at the time. The napper thing was like a cozy coccoon (like those lamb bouncers).. and was the ONLY place my DD slept for the first two months...!!! (then we learned how to swaddle.)

I second the ERGO carrier, as well. I started with a Baby bjorn, but the weight limit is 22 pounds and ERGO goes up to 40 lbs and it can be front/side/back wearing. Perfect for plane rides.. baby sleeps on you and you have your hands free to drink/eat/read...

As for snap n go/ carseat carrier stroller... I got a regular Graco one, but then went back and got the Jeep Universal Carrier b/c it had shocks and was almost bouncy.. you can push it with one hand,maneuvers so well.. it has bigger wheels which make for smoother ride for newborns.  With the Graco one, every crack in the sidewalk of Queens killed my hands and jolted the baby.

Definitely need a bouncer seat. I got the Baby Bjorn more expensive one.. it FOLDS down so you slide it under your couch when baby isn't in it. Again.. space saver.. if that's an issue. It was nice that it wasn't all bells/whistles.. it moves when baby kicks... has a toy bar, too. pricey though.

That's it for now...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"