Health & Exercise
Options

Question for Joggers / Runners

Just curious...  I am not a runner at all.  I get really winded after only a few minutes on the treadmill.  I am hoping to increase my cardio and slim down.  What distance should a beginning jogger be doing?  I just want to have a goal to work towards.  I'm doing the 30 Day Shred right now.  I wanted to have enough endurance to run also.  I'm also afraid running will bulk me up.  Is that true?
image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Question for Joggers / Runners

• Options
    I started with the Couch Potato to 5k plan 3 years ago.  At the time, I was unable to run 1 minute without losing my breath and getting cramps.  Now I'm about to run my 3rd 1/2 marathon.  It's a great program that eases you into running.  Once you're able to run a 5k, you can gradually start to increase your mileage and eventually do speed workouts.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I'll check that out!
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageshugs-n-sweets:
     I'm also afraid running will bulk me up.  Is that true?

Look at serious runners-none of them are big-they're mainly muscle and very lean. Running will not bulk you up.

• Options

Try the Couch to 5k program or go to www.jeffgalloway.com and check out his Getting Started program for 5k. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When I started running I would throw on the iPod & jog one song, speed walk the next & so on. Once that started getting easier I would go faster & try running two songs, walking one & so on.
  • Options

Couch potato to 5K is great! And if you want to run with people, call or email your local running store and ask if they have a new runners' program. Many Fleet Feet stores offer the No Boundaries program for new runners. It's a great way to meet people too!

(FYI - cardiovascular activity like running will not 'bulk' you up. It is rare that women 'bulk up' with almost any physical activity besides extreme and heavy weightlifting as our hormonal makeup won't allow it. Even moderate, frequent weightlifting, bootcamp, etc will not bulk up the majority of the female population. You'll just be leaner and more defined. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"