School-Aged Children
Options

Yes or No to V Day gifts for your kids?

My mom didn't do this growing up but she's not the warm and fuzzy type.  Do you get your kids something for V-Day?  Like what?  And if you do, do you think you will do it as long as they are at home? 

Re: Yes or No to V Day gifts for your kids?

• Options

I never received anything when I was a child. I remember one year my friend's Dad picked us up from school (middle) and he had a rose and bear for her and I thought that was so cute.

So I told my husband that he needs to get something for the girls every year. Last year he got them matching bears with hearts on them. I think its a nice tradition to know you'll always get a valentine from Daddy. 

• Options
    My mom didn't do it either, for the same reasons.  My step mom gives gifts to all the kids (even to the adults before we had kids) and so I do it with my kids now.  They get one candy treat b/c they can't have milk chocolate and I don't want them to feel left out. This year I'm getting them each a Tag book too.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I try to get my kids a little something.  My dad used to get us each a box of Fannie May.  (not chocolate, it was a box of candies geared towards kids)
  • Options

YES! A big yes from my family.

I remember my dad always bringing home big hearts with chocolate for everyone. My mom's was always the biggest. I have such an image of him... especially the years that he took the train from New York... standing there with all of those bright red and hot pink heart boxes. It's a great way to remember him now that he has passed.

My daughter is 9. Her gifts have changed over the years. Of course, they always include the heart full of candy. The last 3 years, she got stuffed animals. Each one is holding a heart. She loved all sorts of little boxes when she was a toddler. I bought the cute heart shaped ones and filled them with surprises. We have a great photo of her playing with a giant mylar heart swirly balloon. She was just over a year old, so still had that silly wobbly look. I'm trying to think of what else was good... we usually do a fun Tshirt and accessories. Little kids (3-5) love those funny headbands with the bouncy hearts on them. I think older kids appreciate a nice card telling them how great they are. Big Smile

Now, you have me thinking about the cards they give to other kids. I'll have to start another thread.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • Options
    I get my girls something little (this year socks decorated with hearts) and make special heart shaped meals (pancakes and strawberries for b'fast, sandwich and cucumbers cut with heart cookie cutters for lunch, and heart shaped pizza for supper).  I've always done it and I don't imagine I'll stop.  Valentine's day is one of my favorite holidays. 
  • Options
    I always gave some heart candy to my son in his lunchbox. but, nothing else really.
  • Options
    I get my kids flowers and a small heart box of candy.  I think I will always do this.  My mom still gives me and my sibs and my kids a valentines day present.  IT's always small but it's definately a thought that counts type of thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We just don't make a big deal out of this holiday in our home.  My kids do cards for friends and classmates, but we don't exchange gifts.  I might make a fun dessert or something during the week of Valentine's Day, but that's it.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    For as long as I can remember( I'm 43) my dad has always given me something. It was a small box of chocolates when I was younger, a single red rose on my doorstep as I got older and when I moved with my husband cross country it was a card and it always arrived on time.  When I had children my dad would send cards to them too.  My husband has carried on the tradition of giving the kids small boxes of chocolates and I imagine the newest one too. Our suprise addition will arrive in July.
  • Options

My dad used to get bags of the bigger conversation hearts and basically decorate the house with them. he'd line them up around the outside edge of the coffee table and dining table and our piano. It looked so neat and pretty when I'd get home from school.

me, I just get my DD some chocolate or a little stuffed animal.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"