Detroit Babies

Looking for OB that delivers at hospital w/Level 3 NICU

I'm moving from out-of-state to the Detroit area at the beginning of March.  I'm currently 11 weeks with twins and my Dr here recommended that I find an OB that delivers at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU in case the babies need that level of care that way we wouldn't have to move hospitals after delivery.  From what I can find online, it looks like St. John's and U of M both have a Level 3 NICU. 

Anyone going to an OB that delivers at either of those hospitals or another one with the Level 3 NICU?

Thanks!!

Re: Looking for OB that delivers at hospital w/Level 3 NICU

• Hi there and almost welcome to Detroit!

Do you know where you will be living yet?  The "metro" area of Detroit is a fairly large area and that will determine greatly which hospital would be better for you.

UofM is about 45 minutes - hour west of most of the main I guess I would almost say "central" Detroit suburbs, unless you are looking at the Novi/Plymouth/Canton area, then it is about 30 minutes or so.  I actually live in Royal Oak, but work in Ann Arbor, so I know the drive very well. :)  

If you are looking to live around Royal Oak, Birmingham, St. Johns is around 20 minutes away.  Any "east side" city like St. Clair Shores, any of the Grosse Pointes, St. Johns is literally 5-10 minutes depending on where you are at.  If you are looking to settle in Troy or northern suburbs like Clarkston, both St. Johns and especially UofM will be about a 45 mins-hour plus drive for you. 

I currently go to Eastside Gynecology in Roseville: https://www.eastsidegynob.com/.  They do deliver out of St. Johns.  There is about 9 doctors in the practice and I have seen about 75% of them in my pregnancy so far.   They are all really great.  I can't speak too much about St. Johns as a hospital since I haven't delivered yet and am still deciding between St. Johns and another hospital, but from what I have heard from girls on here, everyone who has delivered out of St. Johns has really liked it.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations!!  And welcome (early) to Michigan!  I delievered my twins at St. Joe's in Ann Arbor (Ypsilanti) and I think they have a level III NICU.

But like the previous poster said, it all depends on the area you are planning on moving to. I live in Canton and St. Joe's is approximately 20 minutes from my house - UofM is about 30 minutes. 

If you are moving to Canton/Plymouth area, check out IHA.  I go to the Canton office, but they also have an office in Plymouth and Ypsilanti (possibly others too). 

https://www.ihacares.com/index.cfm/Offices/IHACantonObstetricsGynecology/

PS - If you have time, join us over on the mulitples board too- there's a great group of women there with a ton of information and advice to share.

BFP July 09 - m/c Aug 09
    BFP Nov 09 - c/p Dec 09
    BFP Dec 09 - A&J born in August 2010 at 37w, 6d
    BFP Sept 11 - ectopic pregnancy/left tube removed
    BFP April 12 - E born December 2012 at 39w, 1d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe Royal Oak Beaumont is also a Level 3 NICU.

I delivered at St John. I highly recommend my OB's office: St Clair Shores Obgyn (offices in St Clair Shore & Macomb) 

https://www.healthline.com/doctors/obstetrician-and-gynecologist-ob-gyn/kami-kefalonitis/3754467

ETA: just saw you're having twins too! Yay!! Ditto TheNewFry - join us on the Multiples board. 

I also had a great MFM that coordinated with my OB. Dr Mason & Vengalil who work out of St John. Can't say enough good things about them. I had PTL issues out the wazoo and they were always on top of things.

• I highly rercommend Dr. Uckele at Royal Oak Beaumont.  He's handles a lot of high risk cases and even shares his office with the MFM's at Beaumont.  He is suck a great doctor, I swear I don't know how I'd get through my pregnancies without him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ladies -

Thank you for the warm welcome and helpful information!!  This is great.  We have temporary housing setup through April in Plymouth and then *hopefully* will buy a house in either Plymouth or Canton.  It sounds like both would be close to St. John's and U of M.  I will definitely check out what everyone sent and head over to the multiples board.  It's so great to find people that are going through the same experience.  All the messages are much appreciated!

• imagechicagobmaid:

Ladies -

Thank you for the warm welcome and helpful information!!  This is great.  We have temporary housing setup through April in Plymouth and then *hopefully* will buy a house in either Plymouth or Canton.  It sounds like both would be close to St. John's and U of M.  I will definitely check out what everyone sent and head over to the multiples board.  It's so great to find people that are going through the same experience.  All the messages are much appreciated!

No problem!  I would definitely look into the recs for UofM and St. Joes doctors, not St. Johns.  St. Johns would be about 40 minutes for you from the Plymouth/Canton area. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagechicagobmaid:

Ladies -

If I lived in plymouth/canton I'd be going to UofM. I live 40min from St John so it's doable, but my OB was only 5min from my house. I doubt you'd find local docs that far - in the St John system.
  • imagechicagobmaid:

I'm moving from out-of-state to the Detroit area at the beginning of March.  I'm currently 11 weeks with twins and my Dr here recommended that I find an OB that delivers at a hospital with a Level 3 NICU in case the babies need that level of care that way we wouldn't have to move hospitals after delivery.  From what I can find online, it looks like St. John's and U of M both have a Level 3 NICU. 

Anyone going to an OB that delivers at either of those hospitals or another one with the Level 3 NICU?

Thanks!!

I go to Metro Partners in Women's Health (www.womensdocs.com). They deliver out of Providence Southfield as well as Providence Park in Novi. If I went into PTL prior to 34 weeks I would have been sent to Southfield since they have a level 3 NICU. I delivered at Providence Park Novi after a full-term (37 weeks) complication-free pregnancy. I was induced due to mild pre-e. Providence Park Novi has a Level 2 NICU and my babies both had brief stays there. I was very pleased with the level of care (both at OBs office as well as L&D, NICU staff, etc.) and will highly recommend the practice. My specific doctor was Dr. Thai. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"