Minnesota Babies

Moving to Mpls...

I just wanted to hop over here and introduce myself.  I'm sure I will be bugging you ladies with lots of questions over the next few months as DH and I are planning on moving to the Cities this spring/summer!  We currently live in Omaha and, honestly, are just plain sick of it.  I'm originally from MN but moved away when I was quite young.  DH is from Fargo and his sister/BIL live in Maple Grove so we'll have them to lean on :)   We will be concentrating our home search in and around MG.  Any suggestions or warnings about that area?  SIL/BIL live near the Osseo high school (I think?) so we'll want to be close but not TOO close. 

Currently my husband is a SAHD after being laid off in December.  He loves being home with our 18 month old son but will need to work again once we move.  He's also planning on going back to school but he's not sure what for.  Does anyone have any experience with North Hennepin Community College?  He was thinking about taking some classes there after we move.  I work for a large insurance company and am hoping to find a job in Mpls doing something similar.  If anyone has any resources or websites to aid in our job searches that would be great too!

We aren't quite sure of our timelines yet...selling our house here, finding jobs, finding daycare, buying a house there, etc...but we are hoping to be there sooner than later!  I will admit that I'm a bit worried about making such a huge move with a toddler but the outcome more than outweighs the stress and anxiety that will consume the next few months. 

So, that's my rambling story in a nutshell!  Hope to get to know you ladies as we prepare to leave NE and settle in MN!

Re: Moving to Mpls...

•  

Yeah Fargo (I went to college in the F-M area!)

Not sure when the last time you were here in town for MG-but it's changed dramatically over the past 10 days. I remember driving to college in 95-99 and it was literally Burger King on Weaver Lake Road - now, it's a mecca of restaurants, shopping and more traffic!

The MG is a nice suburb-lots of people live there now. It's huge and it has access to everything you can imagine. By the lakes, it is less 20s and 30s, as the houses are older (off originally 73rd), but lots of 20-30-40 somethings now live there.

Commuting traffic can be a nightmare depending on when you come in to work (if you get a job in DT Mpls) -- but there IS a great park and ride now that many people utilize. Beware, traffic can be bad if you go a little further West on 94 to live - starting in Spring/Summer - for people going to cabins...

Other than that, housing is comparable to other suburbs in the area -

GL

• Hi!

I am makenzie and I am a current student at North Hennepin Community College!! I love it there the teachers are AWESOME.. the administration and councilors SUCK, but the overall school is good. most of EVERYTHING transfers and I am friends with my teachers to this day. also the classes are small.. you really get to develop that teacher student relationship and get ACTUAL help on school material.. they also offer and conform to other local community college internet (online) course programs (D2L). and they are really good about new students and orientation.

I have been there since fall 2008' (i was a PSEO student full-time there my jr and sr year of high school until i graduated with honors from Champlin Park Highschool 2010.. I am just classes away from my AS business management (*really great teachers for this*) and 2 away from General AA Transfer 2 year and 4 away from Accounting 2 year... they make the college life easy and its great locaiton for working in cities and being able to make it in time for night classes.

as far as OSSEO goes.. its.... a little ghetto... stay away from NEW HOPE, BROOKLYN CENTER, BROOKLYN PARK, ANNOKA(BASICALLY IMMIDIATE NORTH OR MINNIEAPOLIS SUBURBS AND CITIES AND A LITTLE NW)

I reccomend

PLYMOUTH

GOLDEN VALLEY

RAMSEY

CHAMPLIN

(MORE SW) MAPLE GROVE

MINNETONKA

OAKDALE

EAGAN - THIS IS PRETTY NICE

LAKEVILLE

WAYZETA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • OPS be careful in oakdale! it can be run-down
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegrovermakenzie:

Hi!

I am makenzie and I am a current student at North Hennepin Community College!! I love it there the teachers are AWESOME.. the administration and councilors SUCK, but the overall school is good. most of EVERYTHING transfers and I am friends with my teachers to this day. also the classes are small.. you really get to develop that teacher student relationship and get ACTUAL help on school material.. they also offer and conform to other local community college internet (online) course programs (D2L). and they are really good about new students and orientation.

I have been there since fall 2008' (i was a PSEO student full-time there my jr and sr year of high school until i graduated with honors from Champlin Park Highschool 2010.. I am just classes away from my AS business management (*really great teachers for this*) and 2 away from General AA Transfer 2 year and 4 away from Accounting 2 year... they make the college life easy and its great locaiton for working in cities and being able to make it in time for night classes.

as far as OSSEO goes.. its.... a little ghetto... stay away from NEW HOPE, BROOKLYN CENTER, BROOKLYN PARK, ANNOKA(BASICALLY IMMIDIATE NORTH OR MINNIEAPOLIS SUBURBS AND CITIES AND A LITTLE NW)

I reccomend

PLYMOUTH

GOLDEN VALLEY

RAMSEY

CHAMPLIN

(MORE SW) MAPLE GROVE

MINNETONKA

OAKDALE

EAGAN - THIS IS PRETTY NICE

LAKEVILLE

WAYZETA 

Thanks!  We actually looked at a house in Brooklyn Center (or was it Brooklyn Park?) about 6 months ago.  OH MY GOD...it was SO trashy!  I think we'll definitely be steering clear of there

That's really good to know about North Hennepin...thanks for the heads up!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"