VBAC

Can I VBAC?

Long story short.  At gestimated 41, admitted for induction by OB's partner.  6AM, pit drip started.  6:45 see my OB.  Dilation, 0CM(other OB had said 1.5CM).  Before 9AM, given epi consent form to sign (although clearly stated no pain med unless I ask for it)Told modern medicine keeps women from suffering  pressure,pressure,pressure.  10AM OB comes back, c-section, FTP...pressure,pressure,pressure.  No more ice chips, you could die if you suck on anymore hard candies, everytime you move we have to reset monitor, pressure, pressure,pressure.  Entire time confined to bed unable to adjust position because of IV and scathing remarks from staff about having to come back and readjust fetal monitor.  More sign epi consent form.  By 11:30  broken into c-section consent (hysterical tears)..15 minutes later tears again as stupid women with epi consent form makes her 16th attempt at placing my spinal block.

I have read FTP is a negative against VBAC.  Was this truly FTP?  I did feel some slight contractions at the beginning.  I see my now OB on Monday.  Supposedly he believes in VBAC,  we'll see.

My experience was a big factor in my desire to have no more children...Six years later SURPRISE!!!  

Does anyone think I might be a candidate?  I had a lower transverse.  Please let me know. 

Re: Can I VBAC?

• you sound just like me. I am a perfect candidate for a vbac. But, we don't know your medical stats either and I am no doctor.

Sounds like you were destined to have a c/s. I would talk more to my doctor about it but it sounds great to me.  I wish you all the best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It doesn't sound like FTP, but since I'm not your OB & don't know all the history, I can't tell you for sure.

It sounds like you never really got a chance. 3-4 hours INTO an induction is NOT a FTP. You weren't even dilated, so it would have been BEST to use a prostiglandin to ripen your cervix. It also usually gets you into the first stages of labor, rather than just using pitocin.

When you're not dilated, you really can't say that you've had an "adequate labor." You can't gauge if the pitocin was enough to change your cervix without hours of trying to get you dilated enough to break your water & place an internal monitor to get a better idea of exactly how strong the contractions are. I know this is probably against the ideas you had of low-intervention, but they should be attempted before rushing to a c/s...esp if your baby wasn't in distress.

I am also curious how big your baby was, or if there was any distress during your labor. I know plenty of OBs who are not into post-date inductions & you might as well plan for a c/s if the patient comes in post dates. They won't give the patient a chance, unfortunately...and this may have been a factor working against you, too. I will be curious what your new OB says.

High-risk L&D nurse...If in doubt, go to triage!

Trevor Calvin 12.10.07 7:26pm 7lbs2.5oz 19.75in

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Emerson Claire 07.07.11 11:34am 7lbs7oz 20.5 in

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with pretty much everything bensbabe said. It sounds like a bunch of BS orchestrated in a hospital, but there could be quite a bit of relevant information I'm not seeing.

• imageNoLaLinz:

If it's a true FTP... then your likeliness of having a successful VBAC is unlikely. 

I don't think this is true.  Women who had a primary cesarean for CPD still have over a 60% chance of having a VBAC.  Also I don't think she should just go with whatever her doctor recommends.  A lot of doctors will pretty much never recommend VBAC, but that doesn't mean the woman can't have one.  It just means she needs to find a doctor or midwife who does support VBAC and talk to them.  If the OP's doctor is not on board, she should at least get a second opinion.

OP, am I reading your post correctly that you were only given 4 hours to make any progress?  Was your baby in distress or anything like that? I'm also surprised that they gave you Pit on a closed cervix instead of cervadil or cytotec.  That significantly increased your odds for having a failed induction right there, so it's no surprise that you did.  If your cervix was closed, it's insane to expect you to make progress in only 4 hours.  I used to work in L&D and we had women who stayed in the hospital for 2 days before they got into active labor on an induction.  It sounds like the way your induction was handled pretty much set you up for a c/s and that means there is no reason to think your body won't labor effectively this time around.

I definitely think you could be a candidate for VBAC and it sounds like your FTP was simply your doctor being impatient.   

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    imageNoLaLinz:

If it's a true FTP... then your likeliness of having a successful VBAC is unlikely. 

I don't think this is true.  Women who had a primary cesarean for CPD still have over a 60% chance of having a VBAC.  Also I don't think she should just go with whatever her doctor recommends.  A lot of doctors will pretty much never recommend VBAC, but that doesn't mean the woman can't have one.  It just means she needs to find a doctor or midwife who does support VBAC and talk to them.  If the OP's doctor is not on board, she should at least get a second opinion.

OP, am I reading your post correctly that you were only given 4 hours to make any progress?  Was your baby in distress or anything like that? I'm also surprised that they gave you Pit on a closed cervix instead of cervadil or cytotec.  That significantly increased your odds for having a failed induction right there, so it's no surprise that you did.  If your cervix was closed, it's insane to expect you to make progress in only 4 hours.  I used to work in L&D and we had women who stayed in the hospital for 2 days before they got into active labor on an induction.  It sounds like the way your induction was handled pretty much set you up for a c/s and that means there is no reason to think your body won't labor effectively this time around.

I definitely think you could be a candidate for VBAC and it sounds like your FTP was simply your doctor being impatient.   

Exactly all of this.  Sounds like a failed induction - not FTP.  

• imageiris427:
    imageNoLaLinz:

As usual, I agree with Iris.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh and my post should have said "women who have a primary c/s for FTP" not "CPD."  But those two reasons get lumped together a lot anyway.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So, basically you were induced before your body was ready and put in a situation where you weren't supported but felt nothing but pressure.  No wonder you didn't progress in that environment. 

You're a very good candidate for VBAC - you never were given a really good shot at a vaginal birth in the first place.  Your body hasn't even really had the chance to try to labor. I'd definitely switch providers and hospitals, and even consider hiring a doula to help give you labor support to avoid the totally counterproductive environment you had for your first birth. 

ETA: and like pp's said, 4 hours to try and progress when your cervix was closed is nowhere near enough time to diagnose FTP.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with Iris, but also just wanted to say I'm sorry for your previous experience. It sounds like it was miserable. I think you're probably a good candidate for VBAC, and I hope that whatever you do, you are able to get with a provider who will treat you with respect. GL :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!!  Son was 8lbs., 22inches, 6 oz less than estimated.  Also, no fetal distress.  Early on with the pit, I did feel a few minor contractions.  Those were quickly shut down.  Thankfully, I have moved away from this previous area.  I found my new doctor and hospital listed on the ICAN website.  I am hoping for a positive outcome on Monday.  I'll be sure to update.

I won't even tell you what no bottles, no formula, no pacifiers means to the nursery staff there.  My baby was not in distress, but it was still two hours before I saw him.  When I tried to nurse for the first time, I swear he looked at me and said ...What am I supposed to do with this thing?

The only bright spot I had was my two nurses on the mother baby unit.  One was
    German, one was Irish.  They were the best.  I guess they do things a lot different in Europe.  It would be nice if I could have them again. 

Thanks again. 

• I agree with PP, they didn't give you much time.  I was given 59 hours of induction, before they declared me FTP - and I still don't believe it was necessary.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This was basically the same thing that happened to me with DD in 2008.  Only difference was that my water broke on its own before active labor started.  My OB was awesome, but the on-call OB and night nurse were horrendous.  The restrictions, etc are word. for. word. what I had to deal with.  Get the epi, stay still, don't get up to pee, stop moving, get the epi, yada yada freaking yada....  I was fortunate that my OB termed my cause for the c/s as prolonged ROM and failed induction vs the FTP or pelvic disproportion crap.

I just had a waterbirth VBAC with a hospital midwife group, my super supportive DH, and a fantastic doula/monitrice.  It was AMAZING!  You are definitely a candidate.  FTP is going to happen if they basically force you to stay in the bed, so to me... that should be termed TMMI (too much medical intervention) Wink  GL and definitely join your local ICAN group or at least post on the online forums for advice/support!  I am so thankful for the Denver chapter ladies!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Went to the doctor today.  He said if I go into labor, I can try.  He also wants to see the hospital file on my c-section.  Hopefully, it's an honest report of what happened.  While I am a little disappointed with maybe, I really appreciated the honesty.  Rather be honest than get my hopes up to the extreme, only to be let down.  If it is totally up to my body, I hope I do not let myself down.  Trust me, around week 37 I will be trying to get into labor any natural way I can learn about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"