Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Pitbulls

Would you bring your child to a house that you know has a pitbull? Even if the pitbull has never had any violent outbursts? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pitbulls

• Options

There is NOTHING wrong with pitbills. A few jerks have trained a few pitbulls to be bad dogs. The bread themselves are not inherently evil.

So yes. Yes I would. unless i knew the person was a jerk who purposefully turned nice dogs into fighters. So, i won't be taking DD to Vick's house.

• Options
    Pitbulls are the devil, bitches.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't take my kid to any house where there are dogs who have access to him, yet. Dogs in the backyard or something? Sure. Dogs that could jump/want to play/knock him over/ etc? Not so much. Dogs that aren't used to babies scare me, babies that aren't used to dogs scare me, the combo is just too much right now.
    Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • Options

imageDrinknDerive:

Pitbulls that eat cake are the devil. 

• Options
    imageDaisyFull:

imageDrinknDerive:

Scary to even think about.

• Options
    Yes.  Pitbulls don't kill people, people kill people. 
  • Options
    Yes Now, if the owners are idiots then that's different.
  • Options

imageyankeebaby2:
    Yes.  Pitbulls don't kill people, people kill people. 

What about pitbulls with guns?

• Options

imagelaura_belle:
    I have no problem with pit bulls.  Chihuahuas can be just as vicious. 

I would actually be more concerned by a chihuahua.... 

• Options
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageDaisyFull:

imageDrinknDerive:

Chihuahuas that eat cake would be even worse. They are already jittery pre sugar over load.

• Options

No, I would not.  I do understand that there are great pitbulls who have been raised in great homes, but genetically they can snap.  I have worked in a dog-related occupation, and even though I've seen some okay pits, they always tended to be the most trouble makers.

As a PP stated, yes chihuahuas can be vicious, too.  HOWEVER chihuahuas do not have the jaw strength as a pitbull, and little dogs are more likely to bite and release, where as with a pitbull, they are more likely to clamp on and hold on.

I will NOT let my child around a pitbull.

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageDaisyFull:

imageDrinknDerive:

Chihuahuas that eat cake would be even worse. They are already jittery pre sugar over load.

You make a good point.  *shudders*

• Options

imageBrandi Bee:
    I don't trust ANY animal.

you sound like my H.

IMO, its up to the parents to be safe. We do not have pets, but we take LO to places where animals are. We simply do not put her in unsafe positions. Its not hard to do. If you have to hold her, you have to hold her.

• Options
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageDaisyFull:

imageDrinknDerive:

Imagine... a whole army of dogs on cake, applying for welfare benefits. 

We will need to break out the sugar testing. 

• Options
    imageDaisyFull:

OMG I seriously just laughed out loud.

And this is why we belong in a two-woman-clique of badassery.

• Options

If the owner was responsible, had good control over the dog, and it was trained and socialized properly then of course I would.

One of our dogs is half Pitbull, half Basenji and he is a sweetie.  Our friends have brought their children to our house several times without incident.  Louie is trained and very well socialized.  He knows that DH and I are in charge and listens to us very well.  If he ever gets too playful we just remove him from the room and lock him behind the baby gate.  No biggie.

Here is Liam cuddling with him on a sick day at home.

imageimage" mce_src="image">

image image
  • Options
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageDaisyFull:

imageDrinknDerive:

Imagine... a whole army of dogs on cake, applying for welfare benefits. 

hopefully they don't use their welfare money to buy expensive dog collars for themselves and then buy cheap leashes for their puppies.

• Options
    Pardon the double picture.  I tried to fix it but it still posted two of them. 

image image
  • Options
    imageIrishBrideND:

hopefully they don't use their welfare money to buy expensive dog collars for themselves and then buy cheap leashes for their puppies.

Too far, hor.  Stick out tongue

• Options
    imagecc_fame:

No, I would not.  I do understand that there are great pitbulls who have been raised in great homes, but genetically they can snap.  I have worked in a dog-related occupation, and even though I've seen some okay pits, they always tended to be the most trouble makers.

As a PP stated, yes chihuahuas can be vicious, too.  HOWEVER chihuahuas do not have the jaw strength as a pitbull, and little dogs are more likely to bite and release, where as with a pitbull, they are more likely to clamp on and hold on.

I will NOT let my child around a pitbull.

Oh. What dog-related occupation were you in?
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageIrishBrideND:

imageBrandi Bee:

you sound like my H.

IMO, its up to the parents to be safe. We do not have pets, but we take LO to places where animals are. We simply do not put her in unsafe positions. Its not hard to do. If you have to hold her, you have to hold her.

Well, obviously.  I'm not implying it is too hard for me to protect my child.  I would just rather not put us in that situation.  I know lots of dogs who were lovey dovies and never snapped.  They're still animals, not humans. They're unpredictable.  

We have cats and that is all we will have until Isla is old enough to understand it isn't okay to rip an animal's ear off.  lol 

eh, cats aren't safe either. I wasn't fast enough and DD pulled on my mom's cat's fur. She bit her.

It was my fault for not being close enough, and she was fine. I guess i'm just saying I don't get the breed hate. Hate on all animals if you want (H and I aren't animal people) but I think the breed hate is unfair.

• Options
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageDaisyFull:

OMG I seriously just laughed out loud.

And this is why we belong in a two-woman-clique of badassery.

Tee hee. 

• Options
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageIrishBrideND:

too funny, you mean?

:D

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageIrishBrideND:

too funny, you mean?

:D

Same thing.

• Options
    imageIrishBrideND:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageIrishBrideND:

imageBrandi Bee:

you sound like my H.

Well, obviously.  I'm not implying it is too hard for me to protect my child.  I would just rather not put us in that situation.  I know lots of dogs who were lovey dovies and never snapped.  They're still animals, not humans. They're unpredictable.  

We have cats and that is all we will have until Isla is old enough to understand it isn't okay to rip an animal's ear off.  lol 

eh, cats aren't safe either. I wasn't fast enough and DD pulled on my mom's cat's fur. She bit her.

It was my fault for not being close enough, and she was fine. I guess i'm just saying I don't get the breed hate. Hate on all animals if you want (H and I aren't animal people) but I think the breed hate is unfair.

True story. 

One of my sisters was scratched by a feral cat when we were kids and it took over 30 stitches to her head to close the wounds. 

• Options

Yes. I would take my child to any house that has a well trained dog. 

FWIW, Ferrets are the devil. Those are the bastards you need to worry about.  

• Options
    imageMCMoo23:

Bwahaha.  Rodents are the true demons of the world.

• Options
    I will only bring my children to houses that have Pitbulls.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagelaura_belle:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imagepleasebeonsale:

imagelaura_belle:
    I have no problem with pit bulls.  Chihuahuas can be just as vicious. 

I would actually be more concerned by a chihuahua.... 

I was gonna save it for UO, but seriously?  lol

C'mon....I get that it isn't the breed....but do we REALLY have to pretend that a teensy Chi can harm a child just as much as a dog who is 30x the size?  It's just a little ridiculous.

I was being sarcastic about a chihuahua.  But yes, I do think a tinsy chi be just as dangerous.  A lot of people do not think small dogs need training because they are so small and cute.  To me, that is a dangerous dog.  Watch a few episodes of Dog Whisperer if you disagree.

I don't know of chis doing terrible damage, except to my nerves because they never shut the hell up. That's enough for me. I wouldn't want that thing yipping in lo's face. edit

• Options

imageSophieLaGirafe:

I love your siggy pic!  That is one happy DD and a happy pup!

image image
  • Options
    imageDrinknDerive:
    imageMCMoo23:

Bwahaha.  Rodents are the true demons of the world.

I had a hamster that would turn it's head a full 360 degrees. I mean, he watched the Exorcist with me a few dozen times, but still. He was the devil reincarnated. I was happy when he died....even though his red beady little eyes stayed open. 

I hate rodents. Hate them. Make me vomit. Yuck. Ew...  

• Options
  • Options
    imageamykins1283:

imageSophieLaGirafe:

I love your siggy pic!  That is one happy DD and a happy pup!

Thank you! They're best friends. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I think it depends on the dog and the family it was raised in. If it was one of my friends dogs that I know are all well behaved then I have no problem taking DD there no matter the breed. If the dog becomes a nuisance almost every friend I have would remove the dog from the room without me even having to acknowledge it. That being said the only dog I will NEVER trust to be in the same room as my daughter is my SIL's Siberian husky. He's bitten her, my BIL, my husband, my MIL, and I all on numerous occasions. I haven't even given him the chance to be around DD to snap at her.

I hate that breeds come with baggage. My dog Roufus is a chow/husky mix and I hear every day that I need to get rid of him because the chow in him is going to rip DD's arm off one day. Granted any dog could snap he's like a giant teddy bear. He's never growled at anyone ever and the only damage he could do would be licking someone to death. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If the pitbull has no history of violence then I have no problem with it. In fact, the same goes for any dog. There's nothing wrong with pitbulls.
  • Options

I would not own a pitbull and I would not let my DD around one. 

There are certain types of alpha-male type people that can handle them/train them, but we're not those people.

I have a dog that requires a lot of excercise otherwise she's too hyper and that's enough of a struggle for our family.

And personally, I wouldn't want to constantly be reassuring everyone that the dog is OK to be around and OK with children and not vicious... etc.  Sounds like more unnecessary work... and dogs are a lot of work (particularly big ones).

Are you thinking of adopting one?

• Options
    If the animal is big enough to kill me or my child if it decided to attack me, I dont want to be around it. I had a very bad experience with a big dog I had growing up, and I will never own an animal that I couldnt hit/kick away/ protect myself from if it decided to bite. They can all bite, but big dogs like pits can seriously injure/ kill you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I would.  I have never seen a pit bull have any aggression towards anyone except when they are protecting their owner.  All of the ones that I have seen around small people (babies and toddlers) are very gentle and happy.
  • Options
    imagelaura_belle:
    imageBrandi Bee:

My husband is also a ferret lover.  I f**king hate them.  They constantly bite, scratch, and act psychotic.  And yes, they are dangerous to children!  They stink.

I don't get ferret love at all.

I can agree with you on that one.  Sorry, but I judge people with ferrets.  I judge away.

Me too. Ferrets are nasty vile creatures. Fact: in the past pit bulls were often called nanny dogs because their temperament was so well suited for families and children. Further, most people aren't even able to identify a pit bull whe they see one. The title is used generically to refer to a muscular dog by most people. To quote a favorite politician, the pit bull image is created by the media. I have a cocker, and they are very well known for their aggression, but very few people would consider keeping their children away from my dog based on his breed.
  • Options

I wouldn't take Olivia to a house that has a dog or cats.  Her daddy is extremely allergic to dogs and cats.  So if we go to a house that has cat/dog hair its just not pretty. 

Which pisses his youngest sister off as she rolls her eyes everytime her husband mentions how we don't come over.  We don't come over cause you have animals your BIL is allergic too- duh...Confused

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"