Indiana Babies

Quick, need advice...breastfeeding class...

Should I take a breastfeeding class? Did you take one?  Was it worth it?

The only one before my due date is on February 1st.  So I need to decide quickly.

(And I hope they still have spots open!)

Re: Quick, need advice...breastfeeding class...

• yes, yes and yes and make sure you take your DH.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Dh and I did and it was very helpful!
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not and wish that I would have.  Sign up!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks!  I signed up.  I'm so glad they had slots left.

DH asked if he was going to get to see lots of boobs.  Confused

I told him he gets to see one in the mirror every day.  LOL. 

• I didn't take one, and I did fine (BF for 15 months, pumped at work full-time for 12 months).

I read a few books to prepare myself, but never had any big issues that kellymom didn't address. There's a huge learning curve the first few weeks, and I don't know if a class would have helped that or not, but I personally don't think so (it seems like everyone goes through it, regardless of if they took a class). JMO.

If nothing else, it will probably get you connected with the LC's at your hospital, so you can get comfortable with them.

• Ours ended up being kind of weird--the power went out at St v's womens that day, so we watched the video in the cafeteria and she went over things in the entry area.  She didn't use the dolls b/c she thought people would be embarrassed.  Honestly, if I would have just checked out the video, I would have gotten the same benefit.  A lot of it is learn as you go.  Very few of the dads wanted to be there--2 or 3 moms were alone, but most DH were there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebeccabrad:
    yes, yes and yes and make sure you take your DH.

Ditto. DD was born at 3am on a saturday Easter weekend. They handed her to me immediatly after birth and told me to go ahead and try BFing (no instruction). I didn't see an LC until the afternoon that day and then was discharged the next morning.
    I think any way that you can prepare yourself is great. 

• I'm glad you signed up!

Even if you would be able to do perfectly fine without the class, I think one of the biggest benefits is having your husband there to listen and learn. Let's face it - the husbands aren't going to read the books or educate themselves like we would. I'm so glad Brian came to mine - it helped him understand that it wasn't necessarily going to be easy for me. And it wasn't.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageNDwife07:

I'm glad you signed up!

Even if you would be able to do perfectly fine without the class, I think one of the biggest benefits is having your husband there to listen and learn. Let's face it - the husbands aren't going to read the books or educate themselves like we would. I'm so glad Brian came to mine - it helped him understand that it wasn't necessarily going to be easy for me. And it wasn't.

This exactly!  I'm glad you signed up too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"