VBAC
Options

34 Week Dr Appt - VBA2C Hopeful

I've been spending most of my appointments with the midwives, but met one of my dr's this week to go over my birth wish list for possible c/s. 

First off, finding a practice and hospital that will allow VBA2C is a huge deal and they even have had successful ones since I've been pregnant. 

Everytime I've been pregnant, the babies have not been in a great position. 1st son Breech, did flip but did not engage (40 W 5-6). 2nd son 40 W 2 not engaged, floating.  This baby is angled on my pelvis funny. I'm very hopeful, checked out spinning babies, but the Dr insisted that at 36 Weeks we do an u/s to check position.  I'm not going to let that u/s change any of my plans b/c so much can change between 36 and 41 weeks, but I'm already starting to feel bummed b/c it seems like they are starting to look for excuses.  In 1st time mom, they would've said head down, keep going. Ugh.

Re: 34 Week Dr Appt - VBA2C Hopeful

• Options

I agree, in a first time mom they probably would have said that.

Have you talked to them about options besides a c/s for a malpositioned baby?  I had my c/s for an OP baby so that was one of the first things I asked my new OB about--what do we do if this baby is also OP?  He said we could try things like changing my position during labor to encourage the baby to turn, pushing in positions that help open the pelvis up, and manually rotating the baby using forceps.  He said that even if the baby is OP, we can still try to have a vaginal delivery and that he can usually get OP babies out vaginally, though it takes more patience.  I don't know about an asynclitic baby, which is what it sounds like yours is, but I think you are doing the right thing by checking out spinning babies and trying to get the baby in the optimal position. 

GL! 

ETA It seems weird they want to check this at 36 weeks.  Even if the baby is in a strange position at 36 weeks, they wouldn't do your c/s until around 39 weeks, so why not just wait until then to check it?  Not to mention that the baby could change positions a lot in the weeks to come.  Checking at 36 weeks just seems like it would be stressful and pointless.  You could say these things and ask what the advantage is of checking so early.  If they don't have a good answer, you can refuse the u/s altogether or at least push it back a few weeks.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the reply.

I think is going to be a bigger uphill battle b/c I'm VBA 2 C. A lot of the things they are willing to try with a VBAC, they are not so willing to try w/a VBA2C.

I guess this time I just want to be treated with some respect. During the office appt, the dr was confused as to why I had been induced the first time even though notes show I was a terrible candidate. He also agreed that my 2nd c/s was a little premature although a safe decision. He said this before I said anything. 

I sort of wonder why I care so much to have the VBA2C, if everyone else would have the R3CS. I wish I was naive and didn't care so much. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"