Inland Empire Babies

Hello :)

Hi I'm Amy and my fiance and I live in Riverside.  I recently moved from the Philadelphia area here.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any pregnancy yoga classes or any prenatal classes locally.  I am either 6 or 10 weeks pregnant (I plan to visit a doctor next week).  Also, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for maternity clothes or any baby related things. 

Re: Hello :)

• Congrats on your pregnancy and welcome to the area!

My H and I took classes at the hospital where I delivered.  The 3 classes were: Childbirth, Newborn Care and Breastfeeding.  They were affordable and useful.

I don't know of any yoga classes.

As for maternity clothes, I had my boy in early September so I was pregnant all summer long and our summers are very hot (we live near Hemet)!  I bought 6 or 7 stretchy cotton skirts for really cheap at Old Navy and Target and I lived in those.  They weren't maternity clothes so I just bought L and XL and they were great.  I had 1 pair of maternity jeans and 1 denim maternity skirt that I got for about $20 each at Kohl's (50% off then a 30% coupon). 

For tops I got several tanks from Target when they were on sale for $6 apiece.  Again not maternity, just bought XL.  I still wear them now because they are easy to layer and nurse in.

During my 3rd tri my ribcage really expanded and I had to buy new bras because I went from a 34 band to 40 and couldn't breathe while sitting down!  Then of course you have to buy more bras once your milk comes in if you're going to BF.  

We got most of our large baby items (car seat, swing, bouncer, etc.) from Babies R Us during their Memorial Day weekend sale.  If you haven't already, sign up on their website to have printable coupons emailed to you. 

For supplies, I get almost everything from Amazon.  They have the cheapest diapers if you sign up for Amazon Mom (www.amazon.com/mom) and Subscribe and Save.  You can get a case of Pampers that goes for $42.99 in stores for about $28 w/ free 2 day shipping.  When you sign up for the Mom program you get a month of free Prime Shipping for everything for every $25 you spend on baby stuff, up to 1 year.

You will likely get so many clothes, towels and blankets from friends and relatives that you won't need to worry about those things!

One thing I would highly recommend is a wrap, such as a Moby or Sleepy.  They are a little intimidating at first but just watch some YouTube videos and practice before you get too huge and you'll be fine.  This way you can wear your baby while you get stuff done around the house.  Your baby will want to be held pretty much constantly from birth til about 3 months and then quite often after that.  I don't know what I'd do w/out my Sleepy wrap!  I can cook, clean and run errands (way easier than lugging around a car seat IMO) and DS loves it and usually falls asleep w/in minutes.

Again, congrats and welcome to the IE :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations!  Where about in Riverside are you? 

For yoga you could check with Inland Yoga Centers.  There is a facility in the Canyon Crest town center that might be able to lead you to the right person.  I took prenatal yoga in Pasadena when I lived out there, so I don't know how this facility is.

The YMCA offers various classes such as birthing, breastfeeding, etc.  Don't know where you plan on delivering or where your doctor is, but most hospitals can also give you information on that.

As far as clothing, bottoms and bras were the only thing I really needed to purchase in the maternity section unless I found stretchy stuff.  I'm thinking your due sometime Septemberish?  I ended up buying cotton tube dresses from Target in a larger side and used them as skirts/dresses during the summer.  If I needed a top or dress, I would just make sure it was super stretchy, a size bigger or so, or had a cross over so I could use them after I delivered for BFing. 

Like the PP said, a baby carrier is super useful.  I have a Moby wrap, but it takes some time getting used to putting it on.  If you plan on getting a travel stroller/carseat system, make sure it is light and easy to adjust.  I would also recommend one that you can actually get to the storage cart at the bottom when the carseat is in the stroller.  I really like my Chico Keyfit system, but couldn't get to the bottom of it, when DD was in the carseat.

There is so much stuff to think about so feel free to ask questions as you think any other stuff.   Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks to both of you!  I live near Tyler Mall area.  Do you live in Riverside as well?
  • P.S. Just signed up for the Babies R Us and Amazon Mom programs :)
  • imageAmyinSoCal:
    Thanks to both of you!  I live near Tyler Mall area.  Do you live in Riverside as well?
      I do.  We live on the border of San Bernardino/Riverside just before you get into Colton.
  • Welcome and congratulations!

Maternity clothes wise, I bought most of my stuff from Motherhood at the mall. I found the quality to be much better and more comfortable in the long run. Kohl's carries their clothes as well. I have to wear business casual at work, so most of my maternity clothes had to be dressy and I couldn't get away with just wearing larger sizes. They also have the best price/quality nursing bras out there.

Baby gear wise, just do your research: consumer reports and your birth month board. Look for deals online. Don't be a in hurry to purchase anything. You can get free shipping quite often on Amazon. We did this for our crib. The other girls already told you about Amazon Mom. Babysteals.com is a fun website to check out.

My favorite baby items so far are the Aden + Anais swaddling blankets and my PPB diaper bag.

And you just have to try and go to Ellen's Mothers Day show in May. It's basically a baby shower for her audience and she gives out tons of gifts to first time pregnant moms. I went last year and it was so awesome! She does sign ups in March or April. If you want more info, let me know!

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Wow, that would be fun :)  I would love to be there.  I will check out your suggestions, thanks!
  • P.S. Which style bag did you have?
  • Hello, and welcome to CA...  I used Old Navy clothes, they are cheap and fit great...

• Amy: YGPM back!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Hello! Welcome to So. Cal!!! As far as yoga goes, I take them at 24hour and then I modify when them when I am preggers. If you ask, most instructors will give you modifications once they  know you need them.

Also, I found a lot of great maternity clothes at the baby gap at the Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga. You can even find a lot of stuff on sale there. I remember finding a lot of pants for under ten bucks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"