Parenting

D'Nealian handwriting??

Do they still teach d'nealian in school? Did you learn d'nealian handwriting in school?

That was how I was taught to print and sometimes I am not sure when I work on letters with DS if I should be throwing those tails on there!! I think I heard that it has pretty much phased out, but old habits are hard to break!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: D'Nealian handwriting??

• I was never taught it, but DS's school teaches it. So, it is still out there!
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
  • I think it depends on the district.  My district teaches regular block printing.  My nieces go to school in Florida and their district teaches D'Nealian.  I'd stick with teaching your son block printing because I think it's easier to add the D'Nealian style to it than to undo the D'Nealian. 

PS, how many times can I say D'Nealian in one post?? :)

• Loading the player...
  • They use it at the school DS goes to. We're in AZ, if that makes a difference. I would think it varies by school district.

I don't think I was taught D'Nealian, but I remember some girls using it in elementary school. Struck me as odd that DS had to learn it. 

Angie ~ mom to Tyler (10yrs) & Taryn (5yrs)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I know that it helps the transition to cursive but isn't learning cursive outdated now too? With formal writing being done on computers, cursive is kind of becoming obsolete. They still teach kids cursive (in what, 4th grade?) though right?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My kids' schools use Handwriting Without Tears (no tails).  And DD1 started cursive in 3rd grade.  Check your district's website; I know ours mentions that they use HWT. 

• imageMayorMcCheese000:
    I know that it helps the transition to cursive but isn't learning cursive outdated now too? With formal writing being done on computers, cursive is kind of becoming obsolete. They still teach kids cursive (in what, 4th grade?) though right?

Ugh, yes, this is one of my biggest annoyances with school!  We have to teach cursive starting in 2nd grade at our school, and it is the biggest waste of time e.v.e.r.  As long as people know how to sign their own names, they do not have to know how to write in cursive!  Some people argue that if they know how to write in cursive it helps them write more quickly on state tests, which are timed.  Sick.

• Our district still teaches d'nealian.  It isn't how I learned and I don't really like it.  I think the tails make it harder, but nobody asked me and DS and I are learning it together.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • imageMayorMcCheese000:
    I know that it helps the transition to cursive but isn't learning cursive outdated now too? With formal writing being done on computers, cursive is kind of becoming obsolete. They still teach kids cursive (in what, 4th grade?) though right?

I do think there's something to formal writing.  although, you rarely see it anymore.   we did learn cursive in 2nd grade.  d'nealian in elem school at a private school.  most public went with block letters.  probably why handwriting looks like crap compared to older generations.   

• I have no idea what I was taught and actually had to google D'Nealian! LOL Out of curiosity, I just wrote down a sentence to compare with how I print my letters vs block lettering vs D'Nealian. Apparanently, I have just completely made up my own handwriting, which isn't surprising because my cursive is also completely different than what I was taught in elementary school. No wonder I never got higher than a C in any handwriting class that I have ever taken. I do get told often though how pretty and easy to read my handwriting is Stick out tongue
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"