3rd Trimester
Options

6 pounds at 34 weeks--Might be a BIG one

Just back from ultrasound and he is weighing 5 pounds 14 ounces at this time. Doctor estimates he'll be 8.5 to 9.5 at birth. All of you ladies who had big babies as first babies...did you try vaginally or elect c section? I am 5"2 and just trying to prepare myself mentally for where I might wind up!

Re: 6 pounds at 34 weeks--Might be a BIG one

• Options

I have been MIA for months on this board and just decided to check things out now that I am in 3rd tri.

My first was 9lbs 8 oz a week early. We winded up with a section after failure to progress.  I think it's always worth trying....I would give anything to be able to deliver my next one vaginally.  Section recovery, although not the end of the world, is really no fun :(

• Options
    We had an ultrasound at 32 weeks, and the tech was guessing she was weighing in at around 4 lbs. 6 oz.  She also added the disclaimer that her weight could be +/- 11 oz.  Just something to keep in mind as guessing size in the womb is just that...guessing.
    waiting on our little monster

<a href="http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/mrsoh/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dd 1 was 8.14 and took 2 hours but she came out. Dr is expecting over 9 this time and said I should have no problems
  • Options

I'll be able to give you an answer after my doctor's appointment tomorrow. DD was measuring 8 pounds 2 weeks ago and dr anticipates a measurement of 9 pounds tomorrow. He said he won't let her go until next week and we'll discuss induction or c-section at tomorrow's appointment. 

He did say that based on her weight alone he wouldn't necessarily recommend a c-section, but her abdomen/shoulders are (and have consistently) been measuring 98+ percentile. Based on this he is concerned about shoulder dystocia and may recommend a c-section. I'm fine with this as I would rather schedule it than face what my best friend just did--labor for over 20 hours and then find out baby wasn't going to make it out b/c of size and have to rush to a c-section. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm going in for an ultrasound on Wednesday because they think my baby might be really big as well but I will only get a c-section as a last resort if it's absolutely necessary. 

Also, I should add that at a growth scan my cousin was told that her baby would be well over 10 lbs (and she is tiny, probably 5'2") but at birth her son was only 8 lbs 13 oz, which isn't small, but not as big as they predicted, so you never know.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Those u/s can be off by a lb. If it were me, I would definitely attempt a vaginal delivery, and if it doesn't work out and a c-section is needed, then that's what happens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My OB was talking to me about LOs weight. She recently had a patient who had a growth u/s and they estimated the LO at 11 lbs. They left the option up to her to try vaginally or go straight to a c-section. She chose a c-section right away and her LO came out to be a bit over 9lbs.

The u/s can be off by 1-2lbs (and in that women's case, more) . An 8.5lb baby isn't that big and if they are off by even one pound that is a 7.5 baby. Your height has nothing to do with your ability to push out a LO. I think it is good to mentally prepare yourself for all that may happen during labor but I personally would never elect a c-section off of an u/s estimating a 8.5-9.5lb baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

They were estimating a 9-10 lb baby for me last time.  Drew was a week late and was born at 8 lbs 3 oz.  I had an uncomplicated, vaginal delivery. 

Like many of the pp, I would not elect for a c-section...especially not based on the estimate your received.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mine is estimated at 6lbs right now. I'm having a repeat c/s, but those measurements can be off
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagekatkat74:
    Just back from ultrasound and he is weighing 5 pounds 14 ounces at this time. Doctor estimates he'll be 8.5 to 9.5 at birth. All of you ladies who had big babies as first babies...did you try vaginally or elect c section? I am 5"2 and just trying to prepare myself mentally for where I might wind up!

I'm in the exact same boat....still considering what we need to do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're going to need a c section. My friend is 5' and weighs maybe 100lbs and had no issue delivering an almost 8lb baby.
  • Options

I just read in my Mayo Clinic Guide to Pregnancy today thatmost babies are 5.5 pounds at 34 weeks.  6 pounds doesn't seem huge to me at all.  Plus weight estimates are always off.

• Options
    DD was 9.7 and she was vaginal. I didn't have any problem. I was in labor for about 7 hours. Pushing was ~30 minutes. I wouldn't ever elect to have a c-section, but it's a personal choice. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I had a very complicated birth with my first son who was 9lbs 5oz at birth...he was alot bigger then they thought he was and got stuck in the birth canal, they had to vacuum him out and when he came out he wasn't breathing. Once they got him breathing again he was rushed to the NICU and ended up with a bad infection. I had a 4th degree tear and there is a high risk I could do damage to myself since this baby is measuring just as big as my first son.

People are different though and someone who is my height may have no problem delivering a 10lb baby...my body couldn't handle it though. DS2 was an estimated weight of 8lbs 2oz at 38 weeks, my doctor and the high risk and myself all feel a c-section will be the best thing for me this time.  Plus I would like to avoid such a close call of almost losing a child again. Had they not been able to get my son out in time he would not be with us today. 

• Options
    I would go for a vaginal delivery but keep c-section as a possibility in the back of your mind. Really though, everyone going into labour has to be realistic and prepare for a possible c-section. My DS was 9lb 8oz and had a large head and I delivered him vaginally with only a 2nd degree tear. Think positive and I hope you get the outcome you want.
  • Options
    I had an ultrasound last week at 34 weeks that estimated the weight at ~6lb too.  The OB said that sometimes the rate of growth slows in the last few weeks, and also that u/s can be off by a pound.  Here's hoping!
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options
    I read something recently where you shouldn't do an elective c/s unless the baby is 11 lbs...My friend is 5'4" and her babies were both born past 42 weeks at 9 lbs 2 oz, and 9 lbs 9 oz. 
  • Options
    imageflhokie:

I'll be able to give you an answer after my doctor's appointment tomorrow. DD was measuring 8 pounds 2 weeks ago and dr anticipates a measurement of 9 pounds tomorrow. He said he won't let her go until next week and we'll discuss induction or c-section at tomorrow's appointment. 

He did say that based on her weight alone he wouldn't necessarily recommend a c-section, but her abdomen/shoulders are (and have consistently) been measuring 98+ percentile. Based on this he is concerned about shoulder dystocia and may recommend a c-section. I'm fine with this as I would rather schedule it than face what my best friend just did--labor for over 20 hours and then find out baby wasn't going to make it out b/c of size and have to rush to a c-section. 

After the doctor's appointment today I am scheduled for a c-section Thursday morning.

Nothing has really changed as to size and shoulder size--both are still very big (over 90th percentile). Needless to say I also still have GD and then today my BP was up (as was my fluid retention). He was also a bit concerned that the placenta might be starting to deteriorate (based on glucose numbers and some other factors). As a result, my doctor felt it is best to deliver this week. That being said, he left the decision up to me as to induction or scheduled c-section. My DH, mother and I discussed it and feel more comfortable with the c-section so that is the route we took. 

• Options
    imageflhokie:
    imageflhokie:

After the doctor's appointment today I am scheduled for a c-section Thursday morning.

Nothing has really changed as to size and shoulder size--both are still very big (over 90th percentile). Needless to say I also still have GD and then today my BP was up (as was my fluid retention). He was also a bit concerned that the placenta might be starting to deteriorate (based on glucose numbers and some other factors). As a result, my doctor felt it is best to deliver this week. That being said, he left the decision up to me as to induction or scheduled c-section. My DH, mother and I discussed it and feel more comfortable with the c-section so that is the route we took. 

In the end, the final ultrasound was off by more than a pound--said 8 pounds 3 oz (still very large shoulders) and DD ended up being 9 pounds 5 ounces with big shoulders 2 days later. I'm actually glad we went with the scheduled c-section. The doctor had said that, because the u/s showed 8.3, we could choose induction or c-section, but that if the u/s had shown 9 lbs or more he would have encouraged a c-section because of the GD & shoulders.  

• Options
    DS was 8lbs 5oz and 22 inches long. I had a vaginal birth where my doctor did  an
    episiotomy but I still ended up with a second degree tear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"