Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Postpartum Bleeding getting worse after 5 weeks

Hi All, I am not a frequent poster, but I am on a lot. I need some advice or has anyone been experiencing the same thing. I gave birth on Dec. 15 and my bleeding had all but stopped earlier this week; it had gone from heavy red, to gradually lighter and clear. On Thursday I started bleeding, bright red and it has gotten heavier since yesterday. I am soaking maxi pads again every 4-5 hours. I have not used tampons or had intercourse and I am exclusively breastfeeding. They had some trouble stopping my bleeding after my vaginal birth. Should I be worried that something is wrong? 
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Postpartum Bleeding getting worse after 5 weeks

• Options
    If you are concerned at all, you should contact your doc. You might just be getting your first PP AF, but I'd call to be sure.

• Options

Yep, sounds like your first period after giving birth.  Me personally, as long as there are no clots, would just monitor it for the next day or so and go from there.  I am 6 weeks from giving birth and just started having cramps yesterday.  Yuck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would guess it's AF. I'd monitor it tomorrow and if you're passing clots or soaking a pad within an hour then I'd call.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did the same but my OB said it was not my Period returning, but my bleeding only turned brown and never stopped. I also had a hemerage after delivery. I just took it easy and slowed down for 4 days and it finally started to slow down at 7 weeks and stopped at 8 weeks PP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am currently 9 weeks postpartum and am still having bleeding on and off.  I had stopped like you at like 4-5 weeks and then after about 5 days i had heavy red bleeding again for about 5 days it stopped for another 5 days or so then i bled again then stopped then started bleeding again.  I went in to have an ultrasound to make sure there was no placenta still inside which there wasn't so the OB said that it is just my hormones still trying to level out and not a post partum period yet.  I too am exclusively breastfeeding.  So what i would say is when you go in for your 6 week checkup let your OB know and they will let you know if there is something to worry about or not. 
  • Options
    I never stopped bleeding after I delivered my DD, so I bleed for over 12 weeks, ugh. It got heavier (Waaay heavier) yesterday morning, went to the doc and it is my 1st AF since the birth!! Let me tell you, I did not miss this for the 9 months I was pregnant!!! I would assume it is AF for you too, but I would call your doc to be safe!! 
    AF2012-09-08-27-1 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

With my second baby, if I overdid it or did too much lifting I would start bleeding heavily again. This would be after days of no blood whatsoever. Talked to my OB about it and he said it was normal but to try to take it a little easier around the house. By around 7-8 weeks the bleeding was over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"