Detroit Babies
Options

RO Beaumont Birthing Classes?

What are your experiences? Worth it or waste of time?

Re: RO Beaumont Birthing Classes?

• Options

We went to the one at Troy. It was a waste of us, but it depends on your learning style. If you are the type of people to BOTH do a lot of reading and research, then it'll be a big review. Otherwise, it might be helpful to prepare. 

Not that any of it actually helps you cope with the pain or anything...sometimes it just helps to have a better idea of what to expect, KWIM? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DH and I took it from RO Beaumont before DD was born.... and it was kind of a waste for us.  I did a lot of reading and research before the class.... so I felt like it was all a review.

You practice different types of breathing, DH learns how to rub your back, and you learn how to sit on a ball.  Honestly, when I was in labor I didn't want DH touching me and had no interest in sitting on a ball.  =)  I ended up having a c-section (DD's heart rate was dropping), so I didn't even really get to do much breathing either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did ours in Troy. I liked them, for the most part. An anesthesiologist came to speak and that was probably the most helpful. It was also good for DH.
    Come chat with other moms: www.metrodetroitmommy.com!
  • Options
    As pp indicated I did a lot of reading prior to the RO classes and it was like a review session.  I found the classes focuses on signs of labor and didn't prepare me much for the pushing stage.
  • Options
    I did the online classes and felt those were more than adequate at preparing me for what to expect.  The birthing class also has an in-person meeting/review that you can go to.  A nurse goes over some of the online class sections, you can ask questions, have discussions, etc.  For $50 you can take up to 4 online classes I believe.

• Options
    imageKBabySmiles:

If you are the type of people to BOTH do a lot of reading and research, then it'll be a big review. 

This is why we went.  I am a huge reader and it was mostly review for me.  My DH does  not read up on anything and it was very enlightening for him.  I thought they were useful. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are delivering at RO, but wanted to take the childbirth ed class & it is only offered at Troy. Not sure if it's the same class or not...

Anyhow, I'm glad we took it. I've researched everything during this pregnancy and had pretty much all of the knowledge before the class. That being said, H has been super busy & we haven't had a lot of time to learn these things together.

It was a nice experience for both of us to be on the same page and I don't know... just talk about everything as we (he) learned it. It was worth it to us, but definitely not a necessity if you're proactive about your research!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"