July 2011 Moms

Pork chops thawing on counter for 9 hours

isn't good, right? I forgot to put them back in the fridge before I left and of course it's a disgusting slushy mess outside. Just the kind of weather I want to drive home during lunch in. Thanks, pregnancy brain!
BFP 11/14/10 after 16 cycles!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pork chops thawing on counter for 9 hours

• Definately toss it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As long as you cook it tonight and make sure you fully cook it then I wouldn't worry about it. I have left things out overnight to thaw and sometimes it still isn't thawed out when I wake up.

The Fight  Against Boredomimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My 1st thought is eww.  Sorry.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageclee2009:

As long as you cook it tonight and make sure you fully cook it then I wouldn't worry about it. I have left things out overnight to thaw and sometimes it still isn't thawed out when I wake up.

Yeah, they're frozen solid so I was thinking I might be able to get away with it... I guess we'll see when I get home. 

• were they still cool when you returned home?  I leave things out overnight as well.  its fine.  I just get nervous once they reach room temperature.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • If they are still cold when you get home, I don't see a problem with it.  If they are frozen solid now, they will probably still be very cold when you get home.  Just make sure to cook it to 165. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• If they were frozen solid when you first put them out to thaw AND they still feel pretty cool to the touch when you return home, I would cook them tonight (but no later than that).  If they feel the slightest bit warm or room temp though, I would toss them.  Better safe than sorry!
  • imageclee2009:

As long as you cook it tonight and make sure you fully cook it then I wouldn't worry about it. I have left things out overnight to thaw and sometimes it still isn't thawed out when I wake up.

Please do not leave meat on the counter to thaw! It is not safe! Meat should always be thawed in the fridge or in the sink under cold running water.

Read this article: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/big_thaw/index.asp

• Bummer, no good. :(
    Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• I've been putting meat (venison, pork and chicken) out on the counter to thaw while I'm at work (so it's out for around 8 hours) for YEARS now. Never had a problem.
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm biased because I hate meat thawing on my counter, but I'd toss it.  It's just ew! to me :(
    Married ~ DD 2004 ~ 2 2nd tri losses ~ DS 2011 5 weeks 1 day early ~ DD2 2012
  • imageKristen61607:
    I've been putting meat (venison, pork and chicken) out on the counter to thaw while I'm at work (so it's out for around 8 hours) for YEARS now. Never had a problem.

Yep.  Me too.

• imageGracieLouFreebush*:

imageKristen61607:
    I've been putting meat (venison, pork and chicken) out on the counter to thaw while I'm at work (so it's out for around 8 hours) for YEARS now. Never had a problem.

Yep.  Me too.

Me three.

• imagecburitz:
    imageclee2009:

Please do not leave meat on the counter to thaw! It is not safe! Meat should always be thawed in the fridge or in the sink under cold running water.

Interesting! I've been doing it for years (never for a 9 hours stretch though) and I learned it from my mom who has done it forever. We've all been fine so far. I guess pregnancy isn't a good time to test that theory though. 

• imageStormy101:
    imagecburitz:
    imageclee2009:

Interesting! I've been doing it for years (never for a 9 hours stretch though) and I learned it from my mom who has done it forever. We've all been fine so far. I guess pregnancy isn't a good time to test that theory though. 

My husband is a chef and that's how I learned that it was unsafe. I never knew before I met him...

Pregnancy is not the time to take risks, IMO!

• I would throw them out.  Even if they were frozen, you should always thaw in the fridge...not on the counter.

• I don't thaw on the counter ever, either in the sink with cold water or the fridge for a couple days.  I would pitch them.  You can always pick up some fresh ones on the way home and still cook whatever you were having for dinner.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"