1st Trimester
Options

5 Hour Energy? I'm guessing no but...

This is my first post...and before I ask my question, well, I got a BFP this afternoon!!! My husband and I are so very excited! We're going to the doctor on Thursday but according to due date calculators, I am 5 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow! 

But to the point -- tomorrow I'm working 6:30am to an unknown time. I agreed to help with, well, basically "spring cleaning" of my shared office at work and the managers' office as well. Getting rid of clutter and organizing. My question is, is it safe to drink a 5 Hour Energy tomorrow if I feel sleepy? I'm way too excited to sleep. My mind is racing with basically everything! I'm sure you can all relate!! So I just know I'm going to hit a huge wall tomorrow especially if I end up staying until 6pm when the manager I'll be working with leaves. (I'm a trooper lol.)

I've poked around on google and I've read it's possibly unsafe in case of increased blood pressure. I just want to know what you all have to say.

Thanks!!

--Alex 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 5 Hour Energy? I'm guessing no but...

• Options
    I would never put that kind of stimulant in my body anyways, let alone while I'm KU'd.  I am voting NO, NOT SAFE for your unborn.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

well *i* would.. but im sure everyone else will tell you not to :) 

P.s just remember to drink lots of water 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think it's a dumb questions since plenty of women drink a cup of regular coffee a day and are fine. However, the actual 5 hour energy website says pregnant women or women who are nursing should not use their product, do I'd say no. 

Maybe you can get a cup of half caf coffee instead? :) 

Mommy to our sweet girls: Avery Terese 4/11/08 Lucy Elizabeth 9/10/09 BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    sorry for all the typos before, but I also wanted to say Congrats! :)
    Mommy to our sweet girls: Avery Terese 4/11/08 Lucy Elizabeth 9/10/09 BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs Castillo:

well *i* would.. but im sure everyone else will tell you not to :) 

P.s just remember to drink lots of water 

To be honest, I probally would too. I wouldn't go downing a red bull or anything, but most of the stuff in 5 hour energy is pretty natural.

That being said, I wouldn't make a habit out of it or anything. But I don't think it's anything to beat yourself up about on occasion. I had one right after our BFP without thinking about it...guess I wasn't used to being pg again yet! 

• Options

Seriously??  You need to do some research on what is and isn't safe for your baby and you for that matter.  2 second google search =

To tell you plainly, the 5 hour energy side effects are governed by specific shots. A common reaction that the drink may cause in users is what is known as a niacin flush. Niacin is nothing but what has been mentioned above, that is vitamin B3. This is a skin disorder which appears in the form of red and itchy reactions due to widening of the blood capillaries in the body. The redness may be attributed as the first symptom of a niacin flush. The second one is the itch which is painful. However, there is a positive aspect to this. The itching is actually the body's response to the removal of toxins away from your cell; which is triggered by niacin. As the toxins are carried away from the cells, the body releases histamines to the area and thus, the itch. These 5 hour energy side effects hardly stay for over 30 minutes.

Coming to another one of the side effects of 5 hour energy drink, is about an overdose of vitamin B6. When too much of this vitamin makes its way into the body, then there are high chances that the user may be hit with nerve toxicity or
    paralysis. However, this does not happen just out of the blue. One has to drink about 5 bottles of this drink to invite such troubles.

When we come to the question, "Is 5 hour energy safe for you?", we cannot just ignore the importance to tell the users about caffeine. What harm can too much caffeine do to the body? Well, it is self explanatory. Nevertheless, just to remind you, too much of this substance does not take long to throw the person into fits of involuntary shaking, vomiting, nausea, panic attacks, irregular heart beat and even disorientation. As if these 5 hour energy side effects were not enough, the user may also suffer from diarrhea, headaches, dehydration and in some cases, gastrointestinal pain. So all these side effects may answer your question, "
    is 5 hour energy bad for you?"

This was about the 5 hour energy side effects, which may tend to affect people in general. Leaving them aside, there are people who have more chances to develop all such symptoms from consuming this drink. They include patients who are on prescribed medications and those who must detain from taking stimulants of any kind. Also, young children too are not considered proper candidates to consume the 5 hour
    energy drink. Most importantly, expecting mothers must completely avoid even the thought of trying it. There are lots of other stuffs they can consume to gain energy and to stay active for a good deal of time, instead of going for the 5 hour energy extra strength effect. Before I put down the conclusion, here are some articles which you may like to refer to, in case you require additional information on energy drinks. These articles include dangers of energy drinks and energy drinks health concerns.

By far, the 5 hour energy side effects may not be so bad after all, given to the above explanation which has been advised by experts. But one has to be careful regarding the dosages, as this is one factor which makes a difference between you suffering from all such symptoms and being symptoms-free. So, drink less and worry lesser!

• Options
    Congrats on baby. I miss my energy drinks too but none are safe when expecting sorry. Try a mountin dew. I used to drink a monster everyday and I got used to not drinking them so a mountin dew works it just takes time. Good Luck
  • Options

Thanks for all the responses. And thanks for the congrats! :) I'm glad I found out today that I'm pregnant because I already bought the drink a few days ago in preparation for tomorrow. I guess I'll just let my husband use it when he needs it. If I totally ignored the last post (I didn't, I read it thoroughly) and went off what the other responses said, I think I'd still not drink it.... better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks again! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd say no.  If you need a pick-me up drink a cup of coffee. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When you have a question like this simply look up every ingredient listed to see if the ingredient AND the amount of the ingredient used are safe during pregnancy.  Small amounts of energy drinks can be fine depending on what is in them.  Also different people have different reactions to caffeine so you should base your decision on that as well.  I'm more concerned about the fact that you're talking about missing sleep and then working all day than the fact that you want to take a five hour energy.  I don't recommend taking energy drinks on NO sleep because of my past experiences when I wasn't pregnant. 

Basically a five hour energy includes ingredients that can be found in prenatal vitamins and meat plus the amount of caffeine in ONE cup of coffee.  It's just B Vitamins plus a few other things. Unless you are sensitive to caffeine or are taking large amounts of niacin in your prenatals, you should be fine.  But I wouldn't take them every day, don't take more than one a day (even if you're not pregnant), and make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day.   The B6 may actually help with morning sickness.  Always read through the ingredients and research those first because I'm pretty sure people on here are just assuming that there is a ton of caffeine and "bad" stuff in it and they're going to tell you not to take it.  At the same time people might think things are safe that are NOT safe.  Always do your research yourself to make sure what you're putting into your body is something you KNOW is safe for you and your child.  Another option is to call an OB.  But even there, different OB's will say different things.  However, I seriously stress this point:  GET SOME SLEEP.  Even if you feel like you can't.  Try.

Vitamins

Vitamin B6

Plays a key role in the production of amino acids, the building blocks of protein. It is used in the creation of DNA. It?s involved in over 100 crucial chemical reactions in our bodies. It helps form nearly all new cells in our bodies.

Food sources of vitamin B6 include fortified cereals, beans, meat, poultry, fish, and some fruits and vegetables.

Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)

Vitamin B12 is involved in a variety of important functions including the production of amino acids and the processing of carbohydrates into energy.

Niacin (Vitamin B3)

Niacin is important for energy production. It plays a key role in converting fats, proteins, carbohydrates and starches into usable energy*. Food sources of Niacin include: meat and dairy products, leafy vegetables, broccoli, tomatoes, avocados, nuts and whole grains.

Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)

Folic acid, or folate, helps produce and maintain new cells in our bodies. Food sources of folate include leafy green vegetables, fruits, dried beans and peas.

Energy Blend

Citicoline

Citicoline, or CDP-Choline, is a psychostimulant/nootropic that has been extensively studied around the world.

Tyrosine

An amino acid that transmits nerve impulses to the brain, elevates mood, improves memory and increases mental alertness. It?s present in meat, dairy, fish and grains.

Phenylalanine

An essential amino acid that enhances alertness* It?s found in dairy products, avocados, legumes, nuts, leafy vegetables, whole grains, poultry and fish.
    Click here to read more about phenylalanine.

Taurine

A naturally occurring chemical substance present in meat, fish and dairy products. Adult humans have high concentrations of Taurine in white blood cells, skeletal muscles, the heart and central nervous system. It plays a role in digestion, and is used to process potassium, calcium and sodium in the body, as well as maintain the integrity of cell membranes.*

Malic Acid

The body synthesizes Malic Acid during the process of converting carbohydrates to energy. The main food source of Malic Acid are fruits, especially apples, which contain the highest concentrations.

Glucuronolactone

A natural metabolite found in the human body. It is produced by the metabolization of glucose in the liver. It has been shown to reduce sleepiness*.

Caffeine

Provides a boost of energy and feeling of heightened alertness.* Original 5-Hour Energy contains caffeine comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee. Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy contains caffeine comparable to 12 ounces of the leading premium coffee. Decaf 5-Hour Energy contains about as much caffeine as a half cup of decaffeinated coffee.

Safety

Phenylketonurics

Phenylketonurics: Contains phenylalanine.
    NOTE: 5-Hour Energy does not contain aspartame. This warning is for people with the genetic disorder, phenylketonuria only.

Large amounts of vitamins

The vitamin levels in 5-Hour Energy are well within safe limits. The Recommended Daily Allowance in the minimum daily amount set by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine.

Niacin flush

A small percentage of people are sensitive to Niacin (Vitamin B3) and may experience a ?Niacin Flush? (hot prickly feeling, skin redness) that lasts a few minutes. This is caused by Niacin increasing blood flow near the skin. This can be avoided by taking half a bottle or less at a time.

• Options

So basically my point above is... If you want to completely avoid all the ingredients in 5 hour energy drinks, don't take your prenatal vitamins, don't eat meat, don't eat apples or dairy products or legumes or leafy greens or avocados or fish or nuts or poultry or grains.  And if you're trying to avoid the small amount of caffeine in a five hour energy then don't drink coffee or soda (mountain dew has way more caffeine than a five hour energy) or just to be safe... you better cut out chocolate too. 

Sorry I just find it irritating when people tell someone something without researching every angle AND the individual ingredients.  Now regular energy drinks, yes, can be bad as they have more than the recommended daily amount of caffeine in one individual drink and they have tons of sodium (as does even diet caffeine free soda) and can cause pre-eclampsia and toxemia.

So I guess anything you put into your body during pregnancy is bad for you.  The key is everything in moderation and stick to what your doc tells you.  There have been studies that have proven that tiny amounts of red wine actually improve the health of the mother and fetus during pregnancy.  But automatically people think of fetal alcohol syndrome babies and scream NO ALCOHOL DURING PREGNANCY.

I find it funny that when a woman is pregnant everyone tells her things are ok or not ok and it usually turns out to be the opposite of what a good OB says.  Big Smile  Food for thought.

• Options

I wouldnt.. Thats just me..I wont take any kind of cold medicine when sick either though even on the approved list..except tylenol for fever..Like I said, just me :)

• Options

I definitely would NOT!

• Options

Again, the 5 hour energy company specifically says pregnant women should not use their product. It doesn't say ask a doctor. It says DO NOT USE. 

I am typically not an alarmist about stuff like this, and I have been known to eat the occasional hot dog and cold lunch meat, but if the company says don't, then I'm not going to.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"