February 2011 Moms

Humidifier or dehumidifier... or both? Do I need one?

Can I get some opinions? I know NOTHING about either one, but everyone keeps telling me to buy one, and some say buy a humidifier and some say DEhumidifier... help?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
(Please excuse my lack of paragraphs and/or spelling errors.. This mommy is bumping one handed from her iPhone)

Re: Humidifier or dehumidifier... or both? Do I need one?

• Depends where you live and what the air is like.  For us, the air is now dry (being winter and all) and thus we bought a humidifier.  Plus, if you (or LO) get a cold, you want a humidifier.  We LOVE our Crane Drop Humidifier.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ADL1SG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0026IC2A0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J9C8YEJBFZQ7D8KDG9J 

• We have dry air too and got this Vicks humidifier. I just set it up today and plan to use it in our room for the next few weeks before LO gets here so we all get used to it. By "we" I mean me, DH, and the dogs. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • humidifier in the winter, dehumidifier in the summer, however if you have wall AC units then they serve as dehumidifiers. unless you live in a really humid area of the country then you most likely do not need a dehumidifier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You will want a cool mist humidifier.  Sometimes it is the only thing to help them when they have a cold. Do not get warm mist... we made that mistake- go with the cool mist- it is what is most recommended.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've used a humidifier for years (10+).  When I got married DH got used to the humidifier as well.  Now that we have LO on the way, we upgraded to a bigger and better one.  We use the Honeywell everyday but it is for the entire 2nd floor.  You will probably only need a small one for one room if you are just using it for LO.  Needing a dehumidifier would depend on where you live and what type of home you live in.  For instance, if you live in a trailer home in Houston (a very humid city) you may need a dehumidifier.  You should know your climate but a humidifier and a dehumidifier are two different things.  I think you would need a humidifier well over a dehumidifier.     

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • We just bought a Crane humidifier since our house gets really dry during the winter. I am going to use it tonight since I feel like I am getting stuffed up and gross. We will not get a dehumidifier since our air to air exchange system in our house keeps the humidity at a pretty good level (plus we intend to install an a/c unit this year).

A lot of it all depends on where you live and what your house is like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you get a humidifier, make sure you clean it regularly and well.  You can't get lazy with it at all.  It's really easy for mold to grow, and then it can circulate and cause respiratory issues (usually cold-like symptoms).  Because I'm worried about remembering or having the energy to clean it out, I'm going to start off without one and then just get one if we need it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Depends on where you live. I live in PA where its dry out right now with the snow/weather so you would want a HUMIDIFIER. If you live somewhere where its really really Humid i would buy a DEHUMIDIFIER (usually i see people have these in the basement to draw out the moister ..if they don't you get a musky moldy smell.) I think its safe to assume you need a humidifier. Later on your LO DR might suggest you buy a humidifier or a vaporizer for LO bed room but you may want to wait its up to you.
  • imagesnoopy0510:
    If you get a humidifier, make sure you clean it regularly and well.  You can't get lazy with it at all.  It's really easy for mold to grow, and then it can circulate and cause respiratory issues (usually cold-like symptoms).  Because I'm worried about remembering or having the energy to clean it out, I'm going to start off without one and then just get one if we need it.

You can solve this by getting a humidifier with a filter.  They cost more but they are worth it and some even have a clean air method as well. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"