Natural Birth
Options

Met with doulas--now I'm torn!

I met with some doulas recently.  I met with all 'levels' meaning some had a ton of experience, some had a moderate amount, and some are going through their certification.  I was able to rule out quite a few but fell in love with two--one that has a ton of experience (#1) and one that is not certified yet (#2). 

My gut is telling me to go with #1.  We bonded right away and I felt very comfortable with her from the beginning.  She lives very close and gave birth naturally to twins.  I know that she will be exactly what we need.  She is also a yoga instructor and actually teaches the class I was thinking of joining in February.  The icing on the cake was (and I know this is really dumb) that her background on her blog is exactly my background on my blog.  Just made me feel like this was 'the one'.  The caveat--she is really expensive.

#2 is great, really great.  I didnt' bond with her as well and I wasn't crazy about her own birth stories, but have confidence that she can do the job.  She isn't certified and doesn't have a lot of experience, but knows her stuff and is studying to become a CNM.  The price difference is $600.

It really just comes down to money and not knowing that the extra $600 will be really worth it.  This is our second child, so we do have mostly everything we need, but do need to update or add on to what we currently have, and I think about all of the things I can get for $600 (like a kick-a$$ double stroller or a new RECLINING glider).  That is why I'm turning to you all. 

WWYD?  Pay the extra money or save the money? I guess it could also be that the money I do spend on the less experienced doula could end up being a waste too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Met with doulas--now I'm torn!

• Options
    From your post, you sound like you subconsciously prefer #1.  In a few years, you won't even miss/remember the extra $600.  I say go with #1, the more experienced one that you feel comfortable with.
  • Options

imagemairanellis:
    From your post, you sound like you subconsciously prefer #1.  In a few years, you won't even miss/remember the extra $600.  I say go with #1, the more experienced one that you feel comfortable with.

this. you won't miss the $600 in the long run. you won't even remember the cost difference. you WILL, however, remember your birthing experience. make it the one you want!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a doula myself, so I tend to have a little sympathy for the ones who are trying to complete their certification; they can't finish it until they have done a certain number of births. That said, I am planning to hire a doula with a lot of experience for my birth. I feel kind of guilty, because all the women I doulad for in my training period were fellow doulas themselves, and I feel like I owe it to them to help train the next generation...but my husband will be gone with the military, and I have to do what is right for me. 
  • Options
    Always trust your gut Yes
  • Options

I 100% say go with your intuition.

I would also add that you should be honest and up front with the doula. Many of them will work with couples when finances are an issue - perhaps you have taken comprehensive childbirth classes, so she won't have to "educate" you so much - and give you a price break. Perhaps you want only one prenatal visit (instead of her usual two - or whatever it is) - and she will give you a price break. Perhaps you want to do the postpartum visit over the phone instead of in person which is her norm - and she will give you a price break. Perhaps you don't care if she brings her kid(s) to any of the prenatal/postpartum visits - and she will give you a price break. Etc.

Or even without a price break, perhaps she will consider bartering (even for babysitting for her own kids?) or some other service or product... or maybe she will set up a payment plan with you (with a contract in writing).

Good luck!

• Options
    imageCaseBride:

I 100% say go with your intuition.

I would also add that you should be honest and up front with the doula. Many of them will work with couples when finances are an issue - perhaps you have taken comprehensive childbirth classes, so she won't have to "educate" you so much - and give you a price break. Perhaps you want only one prenatal visit (instead of her usual two - or whatever it is) - and she will give you a price break. Perhaps you want to do the postpartum visit over the phone instead of in person which is her norm - and she will give you a price break. Perhaps you don't care if she brings her kid(s) to any of the prenatal/postpartum visits - and she will give you a price break. Etc.

Or even without a price break, perhaps she will consider bartering (even for babysitting for her own kids?) or some other service or product... or maybe she will set up a payment plan with you (with a contract in writing).

Good luck!

Yep, ask for a price break.  You never know.  Plus you intend to join her yoga class so that's another avenue for her to make money.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks ladies.  I decided to go with the more experienced doula.  It wasn't about the money, I can afford it--but it's more what I could be saving if I went with the others, but it seems like it's better to go with my gut and pay the extra money to really have the birth I want :).

Thanks again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"