Military Families
Options

TriCare didn't cover prenatals!

This is my second pregnancy and with my first TriCare covered everything (we are on TriCare Prime Remote, DH is in the Coast Guard). When I went to pick up my prenatals this time the pharmacy told me TriCare was no longer covering them so I had to pay out of pocket.

Has this happened to anyone else or should I call?

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: TriCare didn't cover prenatals!

• Options
    unless things have changed in 4 months they should cover it. i went to a naval hospital and i got mine for free. they should take care of your prenatals.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm on Prime Overseas right now, and if I were taking the hospital's PNV, it would be covered. I would call if I were you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    If they aren't covered, just go to a local pharmacy and get some generics.  There's not much of a difference (except for price) between them and the prescription prenatals.
  • Options
    Mine are covered. I order through the mail order pharmacy. I don't know if that matters. 
  • Options
    I just got a 3 month supply for $9 from Walgreens just before Christmas.... I would call and ask them just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't see what the big deal is since OTC prenatals are around $5 at any store like Target, Wal-Mart or CVS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLace&Josh:
    I don't see what the big deal is since OTC prenatals are around $5 at any store like Target, Wal-Mart or CVS.

Prescription prenatals usually have more folic acid that you can't get otc and some have dha as well, so you don't have to buy expecta for $13 a month.

PP, did your dr say no substitutes on the script?  My doc did the first time and they wouldn't have been covered, but there was a generic avail and it was a regular copay.   

• Options
    I have Prime and just took a script to Walgreens last week. Ditto PP. I paid $9 for 3 months. I got my old script on base a few months ago.
  • Options
    There are different kinds of prenatals.... some are covered, some are not. If you have Prime and have an MTF nearby, you can fill the script there for free. Hope you can sort it out, those little costs add up!
  • Options
    I got mine a little over a month ago but I got mine at my MTF so maybe that is the difference.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagetheaustins05:
    unless things have changed in 4 months they should cover it. i went to a naval hospital and i got mine for free. they should take care of your prenatals.

same for me- mine were free a few months ago.  

• Options
    I had to get mine at the pharmacy on post otherwise I had to pay for them.
  • Options

mine were free, so I'd check up on that.

And fyi, more than one doctor has told me that prescription prenatals are definitely better than just the off the shelf ones at walmart. Not that the other ones are awful, but prescriptions ones are much better.

• Options

I would CALL. I got mine a few weeks ago. They were free. I didnt even know they gave them to you. First baby being born under military.

Yes, the ones on base come with 300 extra folic acid then the stores have.

• Options
    I fill my prenatals off post and pay the $9 co-pay for 3 months but if I went and filled the script on-post they would be free.  But I had to do off post because my dr. who wrote the script was an off-post doctor.  Unfortunately, I had to switch over to the post OB clinic when I found out I was expecting because my practice only had a nurse practioner and not an actual OB on staff.  But I've never heard of having to pay full price for any prescription, especially prenatals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"