Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

delayed/ refused 2 month vaccinations?

Anyone do this or plan to? If so, what are your reasons? If you delayed, how long?

I've been reading the package insert for the DTaP vaccine and am not a huge fan of the listed risks.

Thanks!

Re: delayed/ refused 2 month vaccinations?

• Options
    nope. pertussis in babies is deadly. i can't wait until i know she's safe from it.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness...of all the vaccinations at two I would say this one is the most important!  This is the whooping cough vaccine...it is becoming more prevelant and babies can die from the whooping cough.  The risks have to be listed but the benefits WAY out number the risks.  I would def. not delay this one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope.  I'm not a fan of vaccines but DTaP is one of the most serious ones.  I can see not wanting the Chicken Pox... MMR... seasonal Flu too early... but not DTaP.    
  • Options
    I agree with the others that recommend not skipping the DTaP vaccine.  Pertussis/Whooping Cough is an epidemic in California and is all over the United States.  There is a confirmed case in a school near where I live.  I was so relieved when I got LO vaccinated yesterday, now I feel more comfortable taking him out and about.
  • Options

Ditto all the others re: the pertussis risk. Wouldn't dream of holding off on that one.

We're delaying hep B because I'm negative, vaccinated, and he's staying home with me until kindergarten. We will make sure he has the full series before starting school. We skipped the rotavirus at his two month appointment because it isn't required for school and the pedi wasn't pushing it. Diarrhea in a country with access to Pedialyte isn't in the same league as polio. 

• Options

I am putting my DD on a delayed vaccination schedule, but will not be delaying Dtap. That is the ony one she will be getting at her 2 month visit...everything else will be spaced out.

Unfortunately, all vaccinations have possible side effects, but I think for the most part they are rare.

The reason I am spacing them out is due to my baby not needing 6 vaccines in 1 visit. She will eventually be vaccinated for all that is required, but I don't feel it needs to be done all within the 1st year...just my opinion.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS got all his vaccines when recommended....we will do the same for DD.  I think they are extremely important and the benefits outweigh the risks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would reccomend giving your baby the immunizations - its important and necessary for your LO - especilly DTaP. 

It was REALLY hard for me to watch my LO receive his 2 month immunizations, I dreaded the day weeks in advance!  I'm a RN and I give shots to babies all the time, but its definately different when its your own.  I made sure I stayed out of my LO's vision when immunizations were given and once they were completed - I scooped him up and comforted him!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsDe2008:

I am putting my DD on a delayed vaccination schedule, but will not be delaying Dtap. That is the ony one she will be getting at her 2 month visit...everything else will be spaced out.

Unfortunately, all vaccinations have possible side effects, but I think for the most part they are rare.

The reason I am spacing them out is due to my baby not needing 6 vaccines in 1 visit. She will eventually be vaccinated for all that is required, but I don't feel it needs to be done all within the 1st year...just my opinion.

This exactly.

• Options

imagemrsseguin:
    DS got all his vaccines when recommended....we will do the same for DD.  I think they are extremely important and the benefits outweigh the risks.

this exactly.

• Options
    I know now a days vaccinations can be scary...but please vaccinate ur LOs  there has been an outbreak of mumps in england due to the scare and that is so silly..mumps?! Can i aks what is the alternative to these vaccines? Not vaccinating at all?
  • Options
    I plan to have my baby vaccinated.  In my opinion, the risks associated with not getting the vaccinations far outweigh the risks associated with getting the vaccinations. (I work in a hospital pharmacy).  Of course it's up to you but just give it some serious thought before making any rash decisions regarding this issue.  Best of luck to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary
  • Options

Just an FYI, DH is a pharmacist and he said if even one person has a side effect they have to list it.  So, a lot of the side effects on medicines and vaccinations are REALLY rare, but if they didn't list them and your child got one you could turn around and say, "I didn't know..."

That being said, DS got 2 shots at his 2 month last week.  We decided to skip the rotavirus b/c DS will not be staying home with me and the pedi said it wasn't necessary if he wasn't in daycare.  We're taking each series of shots one at a time, meaning we will evaluate what he's going to get/what he's not/what we will delay each time.  He will eventually get all necessary vaccinations, just not necessarily all at once, I don't like the thought of putting so many drugs in his system all at once (but I'm the type of person who would rather lay down and rest for a few minutes if I have a headache than take Tylenol).

• Options

Thanks everyone for your insights. I am well aware of the serious risk pertussis poses to infants, but I do like to know exactly what I am putting in to my child, which is why I have been doing further research on the vaccine. According to the manufacturer's insert for the "infantrix" brand of the DTaP vaccine, it contains formaldehyde which is a known carcinogen and the package specifically states that the vaccine "has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or for impairment of fertility". 

This alone was not enough to make me seriously consider delaying the vaccine, but the insert goes on to list possible adverse reactions, including coma, seizures, loss of consciousness, progressive neurological disorder, Guillain-Barre syndrome (paralysis), fever, shock, anaphylactic reactions, blood clots, and SIDS.

I understand that these reactions are obviously very rare, or the vaccine wouldn't be given so casually to such young infants, but any vaccine that lists infant death as a possible adverse reaction deserves a second thought. 

The insert also cites a study from the world health organization that concluded the vaccine has a 78% rate of protection from Pertussis, which means 1 in 5 individuals who received all 5 doses of the DTaP vaccine still contracted the disease. 

I'm not at all considering delaying the vaccine because I can't stand to watch my baby cry- he's tough and endured much worse than a couple of shots during his first few days of life without as much as a whimper. It's just that after researching the benefits and risks of the vaccine, the evidence shows that there's not just a black or white solution, which why this is not a decision that I am taking lightly.

• Options

I plan on following Dr. Sear's alternative vaccine schedule....as for the DTaP I will be getting it on the 2mo appt simply because of the high risk of pertussis (as pp mentioned)....there are 3 different brands and the brand that i'm opting for has less aluminum than the other 2 (this is my main concern)

I highly recommend getting the vaccine book by dr. sears - it's very thorough and explains all sides very well.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageamy052006:
    imagem&m2006:

imagemrsseguin:

this exactly.

Ditto.  Plus, maybe I am heartless, but I really didn't think watching him get his vaccines was this earth shattering/heartbreaking experience mothers like to claim it is.

It is important.  He got them and cried for two minutes.  Honestly, we have had worst reactions to a wet diaper in the car.

This! It really wasn't that bad, I agree we've had way worse reactions to other things!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I can't believe that mothers are making such incredibly poor and ill-informed decisions when it comes to their children's health. I've been dumbfounded by a lot of stupid anti-vaccine posts around here, but this one just takes my breath away (no pun intended).

FFS, get your baby vaccinated against pertussis. My two fully-vaccinated daughters had pertussis this past fall, caught from some moron delayer or refuser or adult too obtuse to get a booster. Obviously they had mild cases due to their immunizations, and I can tell you that listening to those comparatively mild coughing jags and gasps for air in the middle of the night made my heart stop more than once. I can't imagine the pain of experiencing a more serious case in your kid.

Don't fancy yourself a scientist. You don't understand the relative risks and benefits. Just close the browser, put down the blasted Dr. Sears, and get your kid the damn shots.

• Options
    imageBriannaArledge:

Thanks everyone for your insights. I am well aware of the serious risk pertussis poses to infants, but I do like to know exactly what I am putting in to my child, which is why I have been doing further research on the vaccine. According to the manufacturer's insert for the "infantrix" brand of the DTaP vaccine, it contains formaldehyde which is a known carcinogen and the package specifically states that the vaccine "has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or for impairment of fertility". 

Your concerns are understandable, and this is why I choose to use organic shampoos and the like. But that is b/c these are products that the baby is consistently exposed to. This is also why my I don't freak out if my baby has the occasional non-organic (even dirty dozen!) fruit.  That small amount of pesticide residue that infrequently, is not going to give her ADHD, neurodevelopmental problems, or cancer.  A couple shots EVER is not going to give your baby cancer or infertility.  Notice of all the side effects you have listed, none of these were on there.

The insert also cites a study from the world health organization that concluded the vaccine has a 78% rate of protection from Pertussis, which means 1 in 5 individuals who received all 5 doses of the DTaP vaccine still contracted the disease. 

This is b/c of crazy anti-vax parents who do not get their kids vaccinated and ruin herd immunity (see ToledoDeux's experience for example). These vaccines would be much more effective if every kid got them. Or, to put it another way, i have little doubt that that 78% rate is more a reflection of parental ignorance effecting herd immunity than of the actual effectiveness of the vaccine itself.

• Options
    imageBriannaArledge:

This alone was not enough to make me seriously consider delaying the vaccine, but the insert goes on to list possible adverse reactions, including coma, seizures, loss of consciousness, progressive neurological disorder, Guillain-Barre syndrome (paralysis), fever, shock, anaphylactic reactions, blood clots, and SIDS.

I understand that these reactions are obviously very rare, or the vaccine wouldn't be given so casually to such young infants, but any vaccine that lists infant death as a possible adverse reaction deserves a second thought. 

I'm not at all considering delaying the vaccine because I can't stand to watch my baby cry- he's tough and endured much worse than a couple of shots during his first few days of life without as much as a whimper. It's just that after researching the benefits and risks of the vaccine, the evidence shows that there's not just a black or white solution, which why this is not a decision that I am taking lightly.

Why don't you go ahead and read the product insert for every medicine in your cupboard, from tylenol to cold meds to stool softener - they ALL have risks, most of them are miniscule. 

You know how else you can consume formaldehyde?  In well cooked meat. In fruits and vegetables.  In all kinds of things. https://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=gf2x0pu4cg43kx54&size=largest

In fact, our cells make it.  Indeed, our cells also make bleach.  Does that mean we should eat tons of formaldehyde or bleach?  No.  But being concerned about the minute quantity of  formaldehyde in a vaccine that saves lives is like not wanting to wear a seat belt because in an accident, it can cause bruising.  In other words, it's not logical and it's profoundly stupid. 

My asthma medication product insert says that it can cause glaucoma or osteoporosis  and in kids, can stunt growth.  Does it happen?  >99.99% of the time, no.  And the other risks are:

• headache

• stuffy or runny nose

• difficulty speaking

• sore or irritated throat

• painful white patches in the mouth or throat

• new or increased acne (pimples)

• easy bruising

• enlarged face and neck

• growth of hair on the face

• depression

• anxiety

• extreme tiredness

• muscle weakness

• irregular menstruation (periods)

• pink or purple stretch marks on the skin

• hives

• rash

• itching

• swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

• hoarseness

• difficulty breathing or swallowing

• chest pain or tightness

• cough

• shortness of breath

• red or fluid filled bumps on skin

• burning, tingling, numbness, or weakness in arms or legs

But I'd rather risk any of these than not breathe - oh, apparently shortness of breath is risk. Still, I'm taking it because asthma sucks.  Advair, another enormously successful asthma med has death listed as a side effect - because someone died while using it - they were in the midst of an asthma attack and took the med.  That doesn't mean that the drug CAUSED death - the asthma attack did - but because death occurred while the drug was used, the company now has to list this as a potential risk.

Pharma companies list every single side effect reported to have occurred with a medication.  They list it to cover their butts.  

Here is what we know: pertussis is the leading cause of vaccine preventable hospitalization  in infants.  Hundreds of babies have died in recent years due to lack of vaccinating. 

Your fears are not well founded.  Talk to your doctor about them, and please don't think that because you read a product insert that you know more than generations of medical doctors, scientists, and epidemiologists. 

Last, this "It's just that after researching the benefits and risks of the vaccine, the evidence shows that there's not just a black or white solution, which why this is not a decision that I am taking lightly."

You have not done research, I'm sorry. You read something on the internet.  You read a product insert and drew some conclusions.  That is not research.  Research involves a detailed study and understanding of the anatomy and physiology of children, the microbiology of bordatella pertussis, the epidemiological history of a whooping cough, the immunological mechanism of vaccines, and the chemistry of vaccines, the pharacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drugs. 

Reading online is not research.   Unless you have an M.D. or a Ph.D. in the biological sciences with an expertise in microbiology or virology, you haven't done "research."

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options

imageToledoDeux:
    I can't believe that mothers are making such incredibly poor and ill-informed decisions when it comes to their children's health. I've been dumbfounded by a lot of stupid anti-vaccine posts around here, but this one just takes my breath away (no pun intended). FFS, get your baby vaccinated against pertussis. My two fully-vaccinated daughters had pertussis this past fall, caught from some moron delayer or refuser or adult too obtuse to get a booster. Obviously they had mild cases due to their immunizations, and I can tell you that listening to those comparatively mild coughing jags and gasps for air in the middle of the night made my heart stop more than once. I can't imagine the pain of experiencing a more serious case in your kid. Don't fancy yourself a scientist. You don't understand the relative risks and benefits. Just close the browser, put down the blasted Dr. Sears, and get your kid the damn shots.

This exactly.  I work in healthcare, in California currently.  You think watching your baby cry from getting a shot is bad.  Watch a baby die a painful death from pertussis.  Stop doing your research from blogs and talk to actual medical professionals about it!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Formaldehyde is put in vaccines to keep the virus from multiplying so your kid only gets a small amount, not a huge whopping viral load.  And as a pp said, you'll get TONS more formaldehyde eating a banana than from a vaccine.

The side effects are exceedingly rare, and all drugs have side effects.  Every single one.   Aspirin still kills over 2000 people a year.  Where's the outcry over that? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"