Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Over-use of a nasal aspirator?

I was talking to a group of women today at work and I told them that DD is really congested and was having trouble sleeping last night.  I had to keep going in the room to use the nasal aspirator so that she could go back to sleep. 

One of the women told me that if you use the aspirator more than 3 times in a day that it will inflame the baby's nasal passages and that is sooooo bad for her.  She urged me to take DD to the doctor because she was sick and, "Really, she is so young.  Why are you taking a chance on her health? Ridiculous."   She said it just like that.  The other women agreed with her wholeheartedly. 

This conversation made me concerned at first, then it just pissed me off.  I hate the things that some people feel the need to say.  I'm not a bad mother because I'm not overly worried about congestion.  Lisee has had a chronic stuffy nose since she started daycare.   I called the pedi.  He said to use the aspirator as I see fit.  I'm bringing her in tomorrow just in case.  bottom line: grrr

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Over-use of a nasal aspirator?

• Options

I have heard both points of view on the aspirator.  I have also heard not to use it all,

So, with that said, like anything that has to do with babies...I try and find a balance.  I use a humidfier in his room, if he is really really congested I will bring him in the bathroom and run a hot steamy shower for him to breathe in, I also use saline solution when I do use the aspirator. 

I try and only use it when he is really stuffy...he has pretty much been congested since Oct so i have come to learn the sounds of severity when it comes to his congestion. 

I wouldn't be too worried, just try not to do it all the time. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Ge this!! LIFESAVER!!

https://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294705816&sr=8-1

You don't stick it far in their nose and it's so much easier to use than a bulb aspirator.  It sounds freaking nasty, but it works wonders! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I called when DD was sick and the nurse said that unless she had a fever over 103 or her fever lasted past day 2-3 then there is nothing they can do.  She said to use the saline as often as once an hour.  I only use the aspirator once a day, maybe twice a day when she is sick.  But the saline helps so much.  It helps to moisten it so they can sneeze it out. 
  • Options

imageKirbus:
    Can someone explain why over use of a nasal aspirator is wrong?  Maybe link me to an article?  I haven't heard that before and we use it frequently. 

So do we.  My pedi told me to use it whenever I see fit and that's what I do.

• Options

imageKirbus:
    Can someone explain why over use of a nasal aspirator is wrong?  Maybe link me to an article?  I haven't heard that before and we use it frequently. 

I don't have an article to quote, but I have heard by other mom's that their pedis believe it can overstimualte the sinus area msking it inflamed and infected.

I have no idea whether or not that is true, it is just what I have heard.

Also, if one doesn't clean the aspirator often enough then you are just putting a germy goopy item back in the nose.  

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I read on babycenter that overuse can irritate things - making the congestion worse.  That said, when ds is congested, we saline a lot and suck until he can breathe - I have a nose frida and use it way more than 3x a day when he's sick.  They also sell this spray thing that you can do a mini netti pot but I'm too chicken to try it.
  • Options

At 4 months old my son had been sick for like 5 weeks, and I was constantly using that thing... I had taken him a few times to see the Pedi. At his 4 month check up he had bronchitis and the doctor told me then to avoid the aspirator. 

Of course my thoughts were, why is he just now telling me. 

Blessed with 2 amazing little boys. One grew in my tummy and the other my heart.

06/30/10 my 1st son was born on my birthday. 
    TTC #2 since 05/2011 BFP- Feb 2012, EDD- 11/01/12, m/c- 03/05/12 @ 5w+4d 
    12/20/13 my 2nd son was born and placed in my arms.
    Surprise BFP- Nov 2014, EDD- 8/06/215, mc 12/24/2015 @ 8w+6d
    SURPRISE - BFP- 4/8/2105

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"