Working Moms
Options

Please tell me what you think.......

I'm a paralegal for a small (2 attys and me) firm.  I haven't received a raise in 2 years (after only receiving one) and have no benefits other than 2 wks vacation (no ins, no 401k, no sick days/personal days).  Well, I should say that they allow me to only work 4 days a week so that I can be with my daughter which I greatly appreciate.  I love my bosses, they are the sweetest people you could ever work for, but I feel underappreciated.  I'm not very assertive when it comes to talking about salary, etc.  I know they are happy with my work b/c they tell me all of the time.  I'm SO frustrated about the raise situation...is this normal for a small company to not even give a cost of living raise?  I don't want to leave b/c I like my work and I like my situation w/ having a day with my little gilr.

Re: Please tell me what you think.......

• Options
    They should be giving you annual raise at least the rate of inflation.  I would approach them nicely.   Do you have a review annually?
  • Options
    I have worked for small companies and I have worked for large companies and I can tell you that as far as small companies go, they feel that they can do whatever they want (whereas large companies try to maintain the "industry standard" when it comes to benefits, employees, etc.). It's not uncommon to not get raises in small companies (happened to me), on the other hand, it is not uncommon for someone to get a 15% raise (happened to me as well) because there is no set protocol.

You do have a right, however, to be unhappy about the situation. You should talk to them about this or try looking for another job.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations.  I work at a small law firm (4 attys, 3 admins) and we have not given our staff a raise in at least 2 years and the salaried attorneys did not receive raises this year.  Work has been slow the past 2 years and the firm has had to make the decision of whether to keep on employees or give them cost of living raises. The firm has decided to keep the staff that we have and hope things get better, the thought being that steady employment is better than having to cut jobs for modest raises.  If there is some money at the end of the year, there will be bonuses.

I suggest that you talk to your employers, they might not be aware that you are frustrated.  If they can't afford to pay you more money, maybe they can offer you something else.  Since I did not receive a raise, I am cutting back my hours so I can spend more time with DS. 

Good luck!
  • Options

I think this is a tough situation - my husband works for a similar firm and his boss gives raises only when the company is doing better as a result of people's hard work.  He can't raise the attorneys rates to adjust for inflation so it's hard to justify giving raises unless the firm is doing better.  If I were you, I'd be very eager to demonstrate why you are a valuable employee that they can't afford to lose.  Then go to your boss and ask for a raise based on the fact that cost of living is increasing and that you are too valuable for them to lose.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"