TTC after 35

Just starting to TTC

Hi,

I finally met my partner for life right after I turned 34, in Nov. 2005.  In August of 2007 we got married.  And now in upcoming October of 2008 we are going to start TTC.  I will be 37 in October and have always wanted to have children.  If anyone can give me any advice to on how to get pregnant the quickest, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am a bit overweight also.  I have put on 50lbs since meeting my husband.  I have been trying to lose weight, but with work stress it just hasn't happened.

Re: Just starting to TTC

• Trying to get healthy before getting pg is a good idea.  Try things like spark people or WW or something to help you count the calories or see if you can meet with a nutritionist.  Take walks when you can, maybe with DH.  It's the little things that can add up.  As for TTC, I recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  That helps a lot.  Otherwise, there is no "fast" way and a lot of luck involved.  Just keep trying!!!

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• There is no good answer to the "quick and easy" way to get pregnant. How involved you want to get really depends on you.

Some people start out by simply having lots of sex, and for a lot of them, that works just fine. Others decide they want to get to know their body better, so they get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. They may just start out by charting their temps to get an idea of when they ovulate and how long their cycles are. From there, you can get as involved as you want--ovulation prediction kits, fertility monitors, etc.

It also depends on your personality. If you're a laid-back kind of gal who wants to go with the flow, just having sex for a while and seeing what happens might be your best bet. If you're more of a Type A, I have to know what's going on kind of gal, plunging into fertility monitoring may be more your cup of tea.

As for your weight, the jury is still out on how weight, and how much weight, affects fertility. But it can't hurt to evaluate your lifestyle and habits and see if you can live healthier in general. Again, how you approach that will depend on your personality as well as your schedule.

You may also want to check in with your ob/gyn to talk about TTC and what they recommend.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi!  We will start to TTC in December. I gained some weight after my wedding and I am trying to take some of that weight off before December (my goal is at least 10 pounds). I have been getting on the treadmill everyday for the past 5 days and joined a support group . I already feel better and lighter in my clothes.  It is also such a great confidence-booster.  I would also recommend 'Taking Charge of your Fertility' it is an awesome book and really helped me figure out my cycles.  Good luck and hope to keep talking with you!  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ditto Dr. Loretta OR you could do what I did, go back to when I was 16, started smoking crack and BAM!  Just like that I got KU.
  • I am also 37 and first ttc and I have more than 50lbs to lose. There is a message board over on I Village full of women who are plus sized and had no problems getting pregnant. You might want to check that out for moral support.  Of course it would be great to lose the weight, I think age is more important than weight. Good luck.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree with Pesky.

I used sparkpeople to lose about 20 lbs and loved it! I keep meaning to get back to it. I did it in part because we were TTC but mostly because I was miserable. I'd gained 30 lbs since we got married and was just tired of it. We were only thinking of TTC at that time, so I don't know if it contributed to us having DD.

I would recommend TCOYF as well. While I didn't chart with DD (she's 16 MO), it helped me learn about what my body was doing. It did take us a year to conceive (I was 36).

We're now TTC#2, and I used OPK's for 3 months, and took a vacation from it this past month because it was making me crazy. Some people need to chart, track, etc because they feel in control. Other people go with the lots of sex route.

GL!

• as you have read there is no quick and simple answer. Many factors depend on how you conceive or have a difficult time. Good luck and welcome
  • Welcome! First of all, don't expect it to happen right away, that will set you up for a lot of heartbreak if it doesn't. You might be lucky to get pg quickly or it will take you a year. Hopefully the first.

It's good to read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". That book is a great resource when first TTC and you can learn how to take your basal body temperatures each morning and see how your cycles work. That's how I learned when I ovulate each month. If you know when you O you can have better timed sex and increase your chances.

GL on your journey!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Another thing you can do right now is start taking prenatal vitamins with at least 800mcg of folic acid. You should have enough vitamins in your system when you get pg so start the PNVs as soon as you can.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Wow. I could have seriously written this post! I'm just about in the same timeframe and boat you're in. So, thanks for posting your question. Looks like there's a lot of great advise in the responses already. I am definitely picking up TCOYF tonight.. as well as PNVs, and I'm checking out sparkpeople. Our first anniversary is two weeks from today, and we anticipate TTC within the next few months. GL to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"