Health & Exercise

How long before TTC did you take vitamins?

We are planning on TTC later this year (probably September-ish).  Should I start taking prenatals now?  I called my doc and asked if I should come in for an appt before starting and they said no.  I know it takes a while for the vitamins to build up in your body, but I don't know how long.
thanks!!!

Re: How long before TTC did you take vitamins?

• I started taking mine about 2 months ago, I talked to the pharmacists and he said the you should ideally be on them for 3 months before you concieve. But I am not sure if that rule is specific for just one certain vitamin or all.
  • My doctor said anyone of childbearing age should be taking pnv's. They cannot hurt you. I started taking them about a year before I was planning to ttc.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor insisted I start taking either pnv's or a multi w/ 800 mcgs of folic acid as soon as I told him we were thinking of TTC in the next year. I listened.

Started taking a multi w/400 mcgs in April 07, then switched to pnv in June or so.  Started TTC late Sept 07.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We're going to start in a few months too. I was taking a general women's multi until about 2 months ago then switched to target PNVs plus an additional 400mcg of folic acid and some lead free, mercury free omega 3s. I just saw my doctor the other day for my regular check up and for a preconception visit and she told me to start taking prescription Primacare One now instead. But at $1.37+ per pill, even with my insurance, I'm going to save those until the month before we start.

I'd start with a store brand PNV like Target or CVS, then see if your doctor wants you to change.

It does kind of surprise me that your doctor told you not to make an appointment before. I know it isn't necessary, but I'm glad I did. She gave me a lot of good information (a lot I knew, but still, it was good to get her opinion on things like caffeine and exercise, and find out a few things about her obstetric record/philosophies).
  • oh, and I wouldn't say that you're trying to build up vitamins, because folic acid--the most important--is water soluble and is not going to build up in your body. You just want to make sure you have a constant supply before you start and while you're trying. The folic acid does its job before you can even get a positive pregnancy test reading. If you start after that, it's too late.  
  • I haven't really started ttc yet, but have been taking them since Feb.
  • I agree with the PP's about starting vitamins/folic acid 1-3 months in advance of TTC.  ALSO:  I was reading a book that talks about sperm health--Sperm take 100 days to develop, so get your DH on track as well and have him cut back on alcohol and take fish oil supplements. 
  • I started Target PNVs in January.  We have just started TTC.
  • I started taking my prenatal vitamin 9 months before trying to TTC.  I asked my doctor if it would hurt me in any way, but he said no, it could just help me and help my body prepare for pregnancy.  So I don't think there is any harm in taking them early.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • I just started taking them on the first of this month and we are not going to ttc until Late December, Early January.  I am just taking the Target PNV's right now.

• My doctor said to start taking them before you try conceive.  I have been taking them for a few months now and my husband and I are not trying until next year.

• With DS, we weren't really trying per se, so I didn't take any PNVs until after my first consultation at 4-5 weeks.  I was just taking a regular daily vitamin.  With #2, I started taking Geritol Complete and Folic Acid supplement 1 month before BFP, so to each his own.  Can't say it would hurt, but PNVs never settled well with me, either pregnancy.  I have switched to 2 Flintstones for both which have the same nutrients as 1 PNV according to my OB.  I like them so much better!
  • I started about three months before TTC. As others have said it can't hurt you, also a nurse that I work with said the same as a previous poster, if you are of childbearing age you should take them.
  • My GYN recommends for all women of child bearing age to take prenatal vitamins, so I was taking them before I even was married and planning on getting pregnant.
  • I started a few months before TTC. So I've been on for over a year now. My gyn and RE say the sooner the better!
  • How much folic acid should you have each day to have a healthy pregnancy???  Do the prescription prenatal vitamins have enough or should I take more?  I had my prepregnancy consultation Monday and she gave me all the samples and said start taking now (we are going to start trying as early as June).  Which vitamins did all of you prefer?  I know to take them at night so they don't upset my stomach.  I took the first one tonight (prenate dha) and have several others to try. 
  • 6 months before ttc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It really depends on the doctor.  My first OB/GYN was all for prenatals while TTC.  My current OB/GYN says a good multivitamin and folic acid is fine since all that extra iron wreaks havoc with my GI system (and I'm nowhere near being anemic).

• I've read it's good to start prenatal vitamins 6 months before TTC but I only started 2 months ago, so the sooner the better. It does take time for your body to benefit fully from the vitamins. Your hair and nails will grow like crazy!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • spnative: the pnv should have at least 800mcg of folic acid. i like the prescription pnv that have 1mg FA plus a separate DHA (fish oil) capsule. Fish oil is really good for you too.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • I started taking them when we started TTC.  I've been on them for two months now.
  • My OB/GYN said to start taking them 3 to 4 months before ttc.....ive been on them for 5 months....
  • My doc said a multivitamin was OK, as long as it had folic acid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"