South Dakota Babies

Avera vs. Sanford Hospital

Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone would share good or bad experiences at either hospital. 

I have heard with Avera's new deli on the maternity floor you go get your own food.  I have also heard that even if you have a c-section they make you get up and go three times a day, plus push your baby with you.  It seems to me that taking your baby out of your room three times a day is exposing them to germs they may not have been exposed to otherwise.

I am not sure if this is how it works at Sanford, but any experinces would be great.

Thanks. 

Re: Avera vs. Sanford Hospital

• I had an abdominal surgery at sanford and stayed on the maternity ward because of construction for a night. I didn't really explore at all, but my husband said the food was awesome and the night nurse was really nice. the day nurse was terrible though.

I am having my lo at avera and after touring I think I'll be happy. They offer a free 1/2 hr. spa treatment to new moms and have a nice dad's den if they need to get out of the room for a little bit. Also the rooms I think are larger than Sanford. I would base my decision off of the Dr. and the clinic you are using. I am high risk and went to the avera based on a recommendation from another Dr.

Best of luck in your decision.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had DS at Sanford and loved it, they were great. I delivered almost a month early and they had extra people in the room just in case. The rooms were wonderful and the food was great, not kidding teh ice chips were the best I have ever had.  I also loved that they have access to so many Docs. DS had some kidney troubles and they were able to coordinate everything through one person. Their childrens hospital is amazing also, I know you never want to have to worry about it, but it's nice to know it's there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered both my girls at Avera. They don't make you do anything you don't want to. If you don't want to push the crib you can put the baby in the nursery and push a wheelchair. They are not pushy at all there.

I will also be having my 3rd child there. I love it! I stayed on the new wing for my 2nd and it was great being able to go get your own food whenever you want. My DH loved it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Hello all.  I was wondering if anyone would share good or bad experiences at either hospital. 

I have heard with Avera's new deli on the maternity floor you go get your own food.  I have also heard that even if you have a c-section they make you get up and go three times a day, plus push your baby with you.  It seems to me that taking your baby out of your room three times a day is exposing them to germs they may not have been exposed to otherwise.

I am not sure if this is how it works at Sanford, but any experinces would be great.

Thanks. 

thats not actually true, you aren't allowed to carry the baby around in the halls, if you WANT to take it with you to get food you can but it has to be in the bassinet. it is the same at both hospitals. you have to get your own food at Sanford as well. The food at avera is much better, but has limited hours. The food at sanford is open 24/7
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At Avera you get a free spa service during your stay! It's right on the unit across from the cafe. Avera is very accommodating and open-minded when it comes to letting you care for your baby exactly how you want to. Want the baby to stay in your room the entire stay? Fine. Want to breast feed? Great. Want to bottle feed? That's fine too!
  • I like the idea of being moved away from laboring moms after delivery. Then I don't have to worry about my family bugging or being in the way of staff. I believe it's still at avera u labor, deliver and recover in the same area. Sanford seems to have a great nicu with technology to see baby even at home. I like the lil avera hats.
  • Sanford now offers spa treatments during and after birth
  • I like the idea of being moved away from laboring moms after delivery. Then I don't have to worry about my family bugging or being in the way of staff. I believe it's still at avera u labor, deliver and recover in the same area. Sanford seems to have a great nicu with technology to see baby even at home. I like the lil avera hats.

At avera they move you to a different nicer room after you have your baby so you are on a different floor than the laboring women.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"