North Dakota Babies
Options

Registry Help

DH & I are going to be registering soon. Holy cow there is a lot of stuff we'll need! Can you girls recommend one thing you couldn't live without and something you didn't need at all? I'm excited to register, but looking over this list...it's a little overwhelming!! TIA!! xoxo

Re: Registry Help

• Options

One thing I couldn't live without is our video monitor. They cost more than a regular one but I think its SO worth it!

The only thing I say to not register for is clothes. A lot of people are going to ignore your registry and buy you clothes anyways, so it's better to register for the practical items you need in hopes people stick to that. (IMO)

• Options

Ditto on the video monitor.  We have the Summer Infant Slim & Secure. I LOVE it.

Other favorite baby items:

Aiden & Annias (sp?) swaddle blankets

Moby wrap

Sophie the giraffe (although I don't know that it's something we couldn't live without)

Halo wearable blankets (and the swaddle blanket for the newborn stage)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Considering Kari is only 8 days old, and has been home for only 6 of those days, I can't really answer for the long term. But I'll tell you what's been super useful in the first week - wearable blankets are a life saver. Not as helpful as I thought - the Boppy Newborn Booster. I don't even "always" use my Boppy to BF, and using the booster seems to delay the feeding too much for me to think it's worth it.

Don't feel too overwhelmed - I know I always did in Babies R Us and places like that, but it's surprising how little you actually need with a newborn. Smile

• Options

Considering Kari is only 8 days old, and has been home for only 6 of those days, I can't really answer for the long term. But I'll tell you what's been super useful in the first week - wearable blankets are a life saver. Not as helpful as I thought - the Boppy Newborn Booster. I don't even "always" use my Boppy to BF, and using the booster seems to delay the feeding too much for me to think it's worth it.

Don't feel too overwhelmed - I know I always did in Babies R Us and places like that, but it's surprising how little you actually need with a newborn. Smile

• Options

• Options

Things I love:

Our swing.  I was suggested that you get one that goes both ways, some kids get sick swinging forward and back

Jolly Jumper, it entertains her a lot

Exasaucer.  She loves playing in this for like an hour sometimes.  We have the three in one that comes with a play mat.  I use that one at my parents since we got one.

Bumbo.  I didn't really want one of these, but it is great to take wherever we go.  So it is great at the grandparents, restaurants.

I have a bouncy chair.  Honestly, she didn't like it much, and it wasn't used for very long either.  But we got it second hand from my aunt, so it didn't cost us anything for it.

We bought a knock off bugaboo stroller.  It is a nice stroller, but it is large and bulky and I really wish we just went with a travel system.  Plus the stroller was not cheap.

I have a moby, but honestly never really use it.  It takes a bit to get used to and too complicated for my liking. I wish I went with one she just slide into.

We have a pack and play with a change table and I like it.  It saves me from going upstairs to change her bum.

Ace hated being swaddled, and she only lasted in it for like a week before we switched to the sleep sac, so I wouldn't go crazy with the swaddlers until you know if your baby likes it. Maybe open one or two, that way you can return any additional ones if your LO doesn't like it.

Soothers.  I wish I had one at the hospital.  Ace used me as a human soother until 4am her second night.  I ended up with a nipple that was in bad shape and sent her out with the nurse so I could sleep for 3 hours.

Bottles.  I wasn't planning to FF at all, I wanted to EBF, however, at 2 weeks we learned I had problems with my milk and was so thankful we had those at home so we could start using them ASAP.  Also, a bottle sterilizer.  That is helpful since we went with Phillips Avent ones.  However, I have playtex at my parents that are the drop ins, and I think I would have gone drop ins.

I am different.  I have the sound monitors only.  Honestly, I wouldn't be able to sleep watching her at night, so I am glad we only have sound on them.

If you plan to keep your LO in your room, you can use the PNP or get a bassinet.  We are borrowing a craddle since we are keeping Ace in our room almost until she is 6 months.

Things not to forget car seat, extra car seat base, hair chair, safety stuff, bedding.  I wouldn't register for towels or face clothes, or clothes.  I got plenty.

A & T Since 2009 Parents of A born July 2010
  • Options
    Wow, sorry about the length.
    A & T Since 2009 Parents of A born July 2010
  • Options

The only thing I couldn't live without, besides the carseat, crib, clothes, and diapers obvs, was the bouncey seat.  For real.  It was so easy to move when carrying K.  I swear that thing is the only reason I got to shower somedays.  Put her in the shower with the steam and throw her in there on vibrate and with the running water int he shower she was soothed and I could shower and generally she was sleeping by the time I got out.

• Options
    The Pack N Play with the newborn napper was a lifesaver IMO. I loved the Aden and Anais swaddling blankets. I didn't use sleep sacks until she was bigger. I would register for just a few of several different bottles, in case the first kind doesn't go over well. I loved the boppy, didn't try the newborn wedge. I like the little lamb chair or swing. Register for the kind of bathing supplies (soap, lotion) that you want if you are particular, I like california baby. If you are going to BF, you will want lanolin and breast pads (I like Lansinoh). You will want lots of burp cloths and drool bibs although I got a ton of bibs I didn't register for. I agree with not registering for clothes, but do register for sleepers and socks that roll down at the top. People like to buy the fun, cute stuff, not the practical stuff. some kind of floor gym/activity mat is good too. The video monitor is fantastic. Unnessecary- tummy time mat, nursing stool, breathable bumper (some will disagree), mobile, car seat cover, wipes warmer (although I do use one, it was a hand me down). Don't be afraid to exchange things either. You don't need 50 newborn outfits, get some bigger sizes and you will be glad down the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"