Pittsburgh Babies

What hospital to use??

Hello to all of the Pgh ladies. My husband and I are "talking" about a baby. I need help with choosing an ob/gyn. I am from Sewickley and am familiar with SVH, so that was on top of my list. However, I hear some great things about doctors affiliated with Magee, but I just don't like the thought of Magee. UGH! Any suggestions??

Re: What hospital to use??

• As you can see, this board is dead.  You can try reposting on the Pgh nest board - it's much more active.

But, why are you opposed to Magee?  I delivered there and was happy with my experience.
    Mommy to Annabelle Emma (05.07) and Lila Mary (06.11)
  • I agree with Previous Poster. I loved Magee (Its one of the best places in the country to have a baby!) My doctors were great.
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at St. Clair and see Dr. Rankin & Dr. Warner (located in the professional bldg. - attached to the hospital). I had my first son at Magee and I didn't like it at all.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all of the input ladies.  I just don't want Magee bc of the size (and much bad press they had a few years ago), I am hoping to go to Sewickley Valley Hospital, I have heard nothing but great things there, especially about the treatment you get since you are 1 of few (if not the only one) giving birth that night.  I am originally from Sewickley so the familiarity is also a plus.
  • Have you thought about using a midwife at the Midwife Center in the strip district? they also deliver babies at Allegheny General. I had the best birth experience with them as well as my SIL.

I've also heard that Dr. Rankin is a good dr.

• I had both my sons at Allegheny General (3 1/2 and 3 months) I can't say it was bad either time but I didn't really love it. The delivery nurses were wonderful. But on the recovery end it wasn't great. The laction consultants were helpful.
  • Wow - had no idea this board was even here! I plan to deliver at Magee, so I don't have much to add except that I've not read a bad word at all about them in recent years. I've attended a few births there (from friends) and had to go to their L&D once when I thought I was having contractions, and the doctors and nurses were wonderful, kind and very attending.

Good luck~

• I'm planning on using St. Clair. I see Dr. Bulseco and crew...Most of the doctors in her practice are wonderful - others are ok.  They have an office at St. Clair and McMurray.  Lots of perks too - - you cycle through each Dr. so you know each one when it is time to deliver.  Also, they have very early hours 7 am to very late 8pm, which is awesome because I don't have to leave work and my husband can come too.  I miscarried in October and had to have a D&E.  The surgery took place at St. Clair and the staffers were great!  They took great care of me.

I've never been to Magee but one of my teaching partners had a horrible experience and ended up being there for 2 months, my best friend pushed forever (while cord was wrapped around babies neck) and then they decided she needed a C-section, and lastly a friend of a friend went there because she was having contractions and they sent her home.  She made it home to a local hospital and had to deliver her baby.  Ugh!

Hope this helps! Good luck TTC!

my love, my life, my girls...

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"