VBAC
Options

Might be allowed TOL but likely no VBAC...

Had my 28 week appt this morning and the OB was busy during a c-section so I saw the NP. I reiterated that I wanted to try and VBAC and the NP said no due to questioning the integrity of the scar from the Dec 2009 c-section.

So I relayed the information you ladies have been so kind to tell me from the ACOG where it's actually encouraged to VBAC, even women with cervical scarring and those that have had 2 previous c-sections...it's still encouraged and found to be healthier for the Mom and baby.

"Yes, but your OB doesn't like to do them and you'll have to explain this to her when you see her in 2 weeks."

Can I have a trial of labor? I understand if we try to deliver the baby vaginally and it doesn't work but it means a lot to me to be able to try. I want a L&D nurse who will be MY advocated instead of one who wants to chart her opinions in my file and rush me down to the OR when I was fine before.

I brought up that I am aware of the risks but so far nothing has been charted or mentioned to me about uterine windows or thinning of the scar to warrant bedrest let alone an immediate induction to prevent further tearing. I also stated that I'm aware of the differences in my son's induction and my daughter's labor. My daughter was coming on her own with no medical interventions.

I was told if I have the trial of labor no pit will be given. Fine my me. I'd like to try and see what my body can do. I was also given the ok when it's time to go ahead and take my EVO capsules and the red raspberry leaf tea.

I'm eager to hear what my OB will tell me in 2 weeks when I see her next.

Re: Might be allowed TOL but likely no VBAC...

• Options
    Have you tried finding another OB?  Your L&D nurse plays a bit into the outcome, but if your OB or the on call OB is really against VBACs, it's most likely not going to happen - they are the ones who are really going to try and control when the c/s is called for, and your nurse is not going to be in a position to advocate for you - she works with those doctors and can't really say 'I think you're wrong" if they decide you need a c/s.  You may want to look into getting a doula - they will be able to help you advocate for yourself.  They are working for you, not the hospital or under supervision of the doctors.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You definitely need to talk to the OB about this.  The NP really has no say.

They can't force you to have a scheduled c/s.  If having a TOL is important to you and this doctor says no, you can always try to find a doctor who will.  You can put off the "scheduled c/s" as long as possible or refuse to schedule one altogether, and see how things go.

GL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't even know where to begin to locate a doula. To be honest, I never knew what they were till I came to the bump.
  • Options

Check out www.dona.org and I'd google your location and doula together - our town actually has a birth collective that helps doulas and clients get paired up.  I don't know that everyone has that, but even if not, I'd imagine some of the doulas in your area may have websites.

Good luck!

• Options

imagelilbit923:
    I don't even know where to begin to locate a doula. To be honest, I never knew what they were till I came to the bump.

https://www.dona.org/mothers/find_a_doula.php

You can also do a Google search for the name of your city and doulas and a bunch will probably come up.

Doulas are awesome, I would also recommend you look into getting one. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Doulamatch.net may give you good results depending on how many doulas in your area have set up profiles. Around here it is quite a few. You can see results from different certifying organizations and different levels of experience. You sould also be able to see availability calenders.
  • Options
    I find it really irritating that their excuse for no VBAC is that your OB doesn't like to do them. I would find one that does! What do her wishes have to do with YOUR labor? Of course, if she doesn't want to because she's not confident in her VBAC ability, then she should send you to someone experienced.
  • Options

imageamygoable:
    I find it really irritating that their excuse for no VBAC is that your OB doesn't like to do them. I would find one that does! What do her wishes have to do with YOUR labor? Of course, if she doesn't want to because she's not confident in her VBAC ability, then she should send you to someone experienced.

I agree completely. You should have unwanted and unnecessary surgery because your doc doesn't like to do something? How unprofessional!

• Options
    imageLittleEgypt:

imageamygoable:

I agree completely. You should have unwanted and unnecessary surgery because your doc doesn't like to do something? How unprofessional!

I felt like the OB doesn't trust her work if she feels that way about VBAC's. I mean, she's been my OB for both births and both c-sections. So if I locate information that supports my case for a VBAC for my exact situation (which they weren't expecting) then the best they can come up with is "Your OB doesn't like to do them." That was my first thought "She doesn't trust her own work?"

I also had to side eye the NP when she ok'd me for evening primrose oil capsules at 34 weeks to help my cervix soften but shot me down when I said VBAC. Doesn't one sorta help you towards having the other?

It just made very little sense. When I relayed this to DH (who was pro-VBAC to begin with) now is like "I'm sorry it didn't work out." He must be under the impression that I give up easily.

• Options

It took a team of CNMs, a wonderful doula, some amazing nurses, a very supportive hospital, and even a little Pit at the very end to get my VBAC.  At one point during labor, I even asked for a repeat C-section because I didn't think I could take it any more.  Most OBs would have taken that opportunity to waltz me to the OR, but my "team" outright told me that it wasn't an option because there was no reason for me to get a repeat C. 

If you really want a VBAC, you need to do everything you can to stack the odds in your favor.  I don't know the specifics of your scar, so from a medical standpoint, I don't know if it's "better" for you to have a VBAC or repeat C.  But if you are a good candidate for a VBAC and you want it badly enough, you still have time to find a more supportive doctor/CNM and even find a doula.  Good luck!!   

• Options
    imagedrakee:

It took a team of CNMs, a wonderful doula, some amazing nurses, a very supportive hospital, and even a little Pit at the very end to get my VBAC.  At one point during labor, I even asked for a repeat C-section because I didn't think I could take it any more.  Most OBs would have taken that opportunity to waltz me to the OR, but my "team" outright told me that it wasn't an option because there was no reason for me to get a repeat C. 

If you really want a VBAC, you need to do everything you can to stack the odds in your favor.  I don't know the specifics of your scar, so from a medical standpoint, I don't know if it's "better" for you to have a VBAC or repeat C.  But if you are a good candidate for a VBAC and you want it badly enough, you still have time to find a more supportive doctor/CNM and even find a doula.  Good luck!!   

I felt so defeated when I left the office. I told the nurse that if I could handle the meds not working when I had my cryosurgery or when I had several hours of lipo done then I think I am totally capable of telling them when I need meds and I'm in pain. She just looked at me like 'uh huh, uh huh, whatever.'

I have always been so optimistic about my OB. Till now. I'm angry and I wish she would bet on me like I bet on her. I've thought of this as a partnership not a dictatorship.

• Options
    I do think the NP spoke out of turn, but I also think you should be glad she said what she did. There it is, right in front of you...you're OB does not like to do VBACs. That tells you she will find a way to thwart you, and by then it may be too late to find another provider. I would start looking right away for somebody new, preferable a MW or someone with solid VBAC experience and success.
  • Options

imageryemo:
    I do think the NP spoke out of turn, but I also think you should be glad she said what she did. There it is, right in front of you...you're OB does not like to do VBACs. That tells you she will find a way to thwart you, and by then it may be too late to find another provider. I would start looking right away for somebody new, preferable a MW or someone with solid VBAC experience and success.

This!  I also agree with other PP, you should get an experienced doula or someone on your "team" who can support you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"