South Florida Babies
Options

cold ended up being CROUP

just wanted to update you guys on mady and her cold.

her very runny nose that started saturday, ended up being a low fever by sunday evening. she was coughing a bit those two days so i figured that by monday morning i would miss work and take her to her pedi.

at 2am (monday) i woke up to her wheezing. I figured it was the mucus in her nose that was now probably running down her throat, so i aspirated her nose, boiled some vapor rub and tried to soothe her. that didnt work. so i turned on the hot shower and tried to sit in the bathroom with her so the steam could relieve her nose. that didnt work either.

the wheezing got worse and now she had a barking seal cough and at some points it was hard for her to catch her breath and actually breathe. her crying wasnt helping either since it was actually stressing her out too.

i ended up calling the pedi by 4am...and the 1st thing the pedi told me is "i can hear her, she's having trouble breathing, take her to the ER asap"......if that doesn't freak you out i dont know what does. we took her, grabbed like 4 diapers and ran out the door.

we arrived at 4:30am at the ER (memorial west pediatrics er) and by 5am she was already diagnosed with croup.

for those of you not aware of what croup is here is a site i found to help explain it to those of you:

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-croup.htm

they kept us in ER for about 6 hours, they put her on steroids to relieve the swelling in her throat for the airways to open up, gave her some respiratory treatment, and ofcourse set up a cool mist humidifier for her. they sent us home on a 2 day treatment of the steroids and to just keep her near a cool mist humidifier until the croup goes away. (it usually lasts 5-7 days). she now still has a hoarse cough, though its getting better....and has lost her voice also. shes doing much better though and is recently gaining her strength and appetite back!

i cant begin to tell you how scary this whole ordeal was, to hear your child struggle to breathe is the worst ever. just wanted to educate you guys on croup and make you aware of it in case one day (god forbid) it happens to you.
ps. the baby vicks vapor rub irritated her so becareful with that.
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: cold ended up being CROUP

• Options
    WOW! That sounded so scray. I am so sorry tha tyou and Mady had to go through that, and I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been to hear your little girl liek that.  I am so happy to hear that she is already doing so much better. Thank you for the info too, that site was pretty good.
  • Options
    Aww my poor Mady!! I'm glad she's doing better. I can't wait to see the little munchkin.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is soooo scary! Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope Mady feels better REALLY soon!!!!
  • Options
    poor thing...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!! totally sucks :(  glad to hear she's doing better already. it's always scary when little ones get sick. expecially before the 1st birthday.

Hope she feels better soon

XOXO

• Options
    OMG poor Mady. I can only imagine how scared you were. I'm glad she is starting to get better and thanks for educating us on croup.
  • Options
    Poor Mady! I'm so glad you took her to the ER. That is super scary. I hope she gets better really soon!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OMG! Pobresita!!! That does sound very scary!! I hope she feels better asap!!! Keep us posted on her condition...
  • Options
    I am glad that Mady is doing better. I can totally relate to your ordeal with the croup. Alexis has had it since Sat as well. It started with a cold for her and then up all night coughing. She still has bouts of the cough that can not catch her breath. On Sunday the ped called in Oraped and that is still not doing anything. I am waiting for a call back now to see if there is anything else I can do for her. Keep on doing what you are doing best, being mom and giving her all of the love and support in the world.
  • Options
    I hope she feels better soon!
  • Options
    Feel better Mady!!!!!
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"