Baby Showers
Options

Diaper Raffle

My mom would like to do a diaper raffle at my shower.  I didnt know how to word it on the insert i am putting in with the invitation....any ideas??

We are going to have a special prize for anyone bringing diapers.

Re: Diaper Raffle

• Options
    If everyone who brings diapers is getting a special prize, why doesn't your mother just save the $ and buy diapers for you herself? Requesting guests to bring a certain extra gift is kind of rude.
  • Options

You could say:

"I know I am inviting you to my shower, and by doing that I am asking you to buy me a gift. I am greedy and want to ask you to buy me more. Bring me diapers please for a chance to bring a prize."

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagepook:
    If everyone who brings diapers is getting a special prize, why doesn't your mother just save the $ and buy diapers for you herself? Requesting guests to bring a certain extra gift is kind of rude.

That's what I never get about these things. Most attending a shower are going to go to Target and spend $20 on a small pack of diapers when you, the parent, could go to a Babies R Us or Sam's club and spend your own money and get more at a better deal. All around, these things don't make sense at all. 

• Options

I went to a shower with a diaper raffle and it wasn't a big deal at all.  They actually worded it so that people could bring diapers OR wipes, and most people brought wipes.  If you don't bring either nobody cares, you just might not win a prize, which isn't a big deal, either.  

I will say that people probably just bought a little bit more inexpensive gift so it pretty much balances out with their gift budget.  I wasn't burdened or offended by the request at all.

If you are doing the diaper raffle, make sure to register for some small packs of diapers and maybe wipes so people know what brand you like.  

I think this is a great idea for a second baby, or someone who doesn't need as much "baby stuff." 

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    I'd rather get better gifts and use newspaper coupons for my diapers (or buy from amazon for 15% of!) than have people bring diapers & cheap gifts. Stick out tongue
  • Options
    imageKatton29:

My mom would like to do a diaper raffle at my shower.  I didnt know how to word it on the insert i am putting in with the invitation....any ideas??

We are going to have a special prize for anyone bringing diapers.

Like the PPs said....if you do this, you shoudl assume that the value of the gifts you get will be lower to accomodate for people bringing diapers. Guests will not buy their normal gift AND a pack of diapers. You need to decide which you would like to receive more... gifts or diapers. If you truly want diapers, then maybe consider having just a diaper shower.

Or, save your $ and buy your own diapers from amazon.com or with the BRU and Target gift cards you will inevitably get plenty of.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

Most "showers" I've gone to that did this was for 2nd babies and they were actually a "diaper shower"...so that is all people brought.  I did go to one shower (1st baby) that did this (optional) and out of about 40 people I'd say 10 brought diapers.  It will reduce the amount they spend on the "real" gift.  Keep that in mind.

• Options

I'd expect the quality of the gifts to go down or the quality of the diapers.  Fwiw, by the time my work shower came around, I pretty much only needed diapers.  When people asked my hostess what I "really needed" she told them.  I got quite a few packages of really cheap diapers that didn't work (which I didn't know until I tried one of them) and was bummed that someone spent money on something I was unable to use.  

However, all of that being said, on a tacky scale, I'd rather be told it was optional (which is still tacky, imo) than being told it's a "cover charge" (like I had been told on a shower invitation I'd received).   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imagekdodge423:

imagepook:
    I'd rather get better gifts and use newspaper coupons for my diapers (or buy from amazon for 15% of!) than have people bring diapers & cheap gifts. Stick out tongue

And I preferred to get diapers as opposed to 50 more onesies we will never use and I will have to fight to return because no one bothered with gift receipts.

Different strokes.

True...but do people really buy that many onesies? I've only attended five or six showers, but people have typically brought nicer gifts in the $30-$70 range, from the registries. Sometimes a few of us will pool money and buy the carseat, bedding, or a furniture item. There are sometimes a couple of onesies thrown in as filler, but I can't imagine getting so many at a shower.

• Options

Thanks for the info! I definitely see your points.

• Options

A friend of mine had a baby shower with a diaper raffle and it was a huge success.  Just about every guest brought diapers, some brought a small pack, others brought the big value boxes.   She had just about enough diapers to get through the baby's first 10 months!  Everyone that brought diapers were given a raffle ticket to win one of two baskets...the baskets were wine, chocolate, cheese themed.  Here is what was included with the invitation:

We're having a diaper raffle to help the parents-to-be,
    If you wish to bring some it will fill them with glee!
    For each size (about 10 invitations had the same size on them, size 1, size 2, etc.) pack you bring there's a ticket for you, to win yourself a great gift too!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If I was invited to a shower and asked to bring diapers, I would show up with the smallest pack in size 6 and nothing else. Hey...it's what they wanted, right? And dammit where is my door prize :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Maybe I am different, but I wish I would have had a diaper shower/raffle. I purchased all my big items before my shower, since I wasn't not expecting guests to spend more than $25 on gifts. I received no necessities at my shower. I received lots of "cute" clothes and headbands that will prob never be worn. But 0 diapers, wipes, bath stuff, washclothes or receiving blankets.

• Options
    imageSweetieD21:

A friend of mine had a baby shower with a diaper raffle and it was a huge success.  Just about every guest brought diapers, some brought a small pack, others brought the big value boxes.   She had just about enough diapers to get through the baby's first 10 months!  Everyone that brought diapers were given a raffle ticket to win one of two baskets...the baskets were wine, chocolate, cheese themed.  Here is what was included with the invitation:

We're having a diaper raffle to help the parents-to-be,
    If you wish to bring some it will fill them with glee!
    For each size (about 10 invitations had the same size on them, size 1, size 2, etc.) pack you bring there's a ticket for you, to win yourself a great gift too!

huh, i've never heard of this!  i think it's kind of a cute idea!

• Options

We are doing the same thing.  It is TOTALLY up to the guests to participate or not!  They know it is totally optional, and for every pack of diapers they bring, they get a ticket.  People spend much more money on raffle tickets at other events, so why not for someone and something they truly care about?  There is no pressure to participate.  If they don't want to spend extra money and bring diapers, too, BIG DEAL.  Leave it up to them.  Just word it right so they know what's going on.  It's definitely a great idea, and you will have enough diapers for months!!!  :-)

We're probably going to put something along the lines of:

We will be having a diaper raffle.  For every pack of diapers you bring, you will receive one raffle ticket.  This is a totally optional game.  The more diapers, the higher your chances of winning!
    Grand prize: Gift certificate for dinner and two movie passes
    Second prize: Two movie passes

(You chose your prizes with what resources and/or finances you have available - remember, it's WHO you know!  For example, a friend of ours is donating the movie passes, but we're getting the dinner certificate.  Just make the prize(s) fun and appealing.)

Good luck, and have fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageohanaaloha:

People spend much more money on raffle tickets at other events, so why not for someone and something they truly care about?  There is no pressure to participate.  

I buy raffle tickets to support children with cancer, homeless people, things like that....not my friends who can afford to buy their own diapers. People (or at least me) bring diapers because they feel obligated, not because they really want to contribute.

• Options
    I totally agree, I dislike this whenever I see it.  I do not want to do it either.  If you can't buy your own diapers then should not have a baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"