San Diego Babies
Options

New to SD - Sharp Mary Birch or Scripps La Jolla

We're expecting Baby #3 and are new to SD.  We had our other 2 babies in San Francisco and there was a definitive hospital there to have a baby (CPMC). 

Which hospital is "the one" in SD to have your baby?  Sharp Mary Birch or Scripps La Jolla.

Help!

Re: New to SD - Sharp Mary Birch or Scripps La Jolla

• Options
    I haven't been to Scripps La Jolla but have been to Mary Birch and everyone I know who's given birth there loves it! I'm giving birth at Kaiser Zion so I won't have any personal experience :)
    Married 6-30-07, BFP 9-1-07, M/C & D&C 10-5-07, BFP #2 6-20-08, BFP #3 3-28-2010 Mommy to Ethan born 2-22-09 7lbs 13.5oz & 21" long SAL Buddy to March04b2b imageFamily Blog|Food Blog
  • Options

This is my first baby and I'm having her at Sharp Mary Birch. I just love Sharps Hospital and I've heard really good things about Mary Brich from family and friends that had their babies there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I checked out Mary Birch and it seems good, but I wanted a midwife and birthing center so I'm going with UCSD.  Their birthing center has options such as tubs to labor in (but not deliver), birthing balls and stools, etc.  They strive towards as natural an experience as possible, but if you find you want/need more intervention, they can move you to their regular labor and delivery floor.  To me, its the best of both worlds and so far I've really liked all the midwives I've seen for my prenatal visits.  My advice is to tour all of your options and see which "feels" right to you.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I am expecting Baby #2 and will be delivering at Scripps La Jolla. All rooms are private which is a plus but I hear really good things about Mary Birch too...
  • Options
    I'm expecting Baby #1 in March, and will be having my baby at Scripps La Jolla.  I haven't visited the maternity ward yet, but have heard really good things about it.  The rest of the hospital is really nice-my husband's grandmother had surgery there a few months back, and everything was really nice, and the nurses were awesome!
  • Options

I had my baby at Scripps La Jolla and it was a terrible experinece.  later when I met with Lactation consultants they all told me my experince was typical for La Jolla.  The ward is beautiful and the rooms are private- the medical attention is top notch but they got busy and I didn't see my son for over 6 hours after delivery, 4 hours after delivery had a blood sugar drop and they gave him 50 cc of formula (way too much for a marble sized tummy) he threw up and didn't eat for 8 hrs and would not go to breast.  I was asking for the pump as soon as I heard he got forumla and did not get it for more than 24 hours until I started calling the nurses station every 5 minutes and told them I would continue to do so till I got it (very nicely of course).  We asked that he be given no formula or bottles and he got both as well he had his first bath wihtout us even though we asked to be present. 

They were not at all supportive of breast feeding (took three days to get a lactation consultant) and we felt like they get paid for every baby sent home on formula.  Soe of the nurses were great- others really felt like they figured I was there for them- not the other way around.  Some annoying lady kept waking me up trying to sell my photos of my kid and eve htough I was sleeping sat down on my bed and gave me her spiel- I was wearing a sleep mask an told her I wanted to nap so pls jsut leave the info- she also walked in while I was pumping and stodd there tyring to sell me pictures.

All the lactation consultants have told me that it is not considered a "baby freindly" hospital and apparently this is an actual title given to hospitals- they had their "baby friendly" title taken away recently.  I have heard that Mary Birch and Scripps Encinitas are great.  I woudl go back to Scripps La Jolla for anythig highly medicalized  liek a hip replacement but not to give birth to a healthy baby.  sorry for the typos I'm breastfeeding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I researched and visited Mary Birch, Scripps La Jolla, and UCSD Medical Center.?

?

These are my observations from the 3 hospital tours.

?UCSD Med. Center-- Completely disorganized, old, and chaotic. The tour was so chaotic with about 20 people attending (they allowed extras to come along, even thought you were supposed to RSVP). They were extremely busy and were not able to show us a delivery room. The rooms, they said, are usually "private", but due to state rules they must have 2 beds in each room. This made for a VERY tight recovery room. It's awesome that they have a birthing center, but it is only 4 available rooms, so if you end up going into labor and the rooms are filled, you have to do it in a normal delivery room. The tour guide seemed uneducated and disorganized. My husband and I were not impressed.?

Scripps La Jolla -- Very organized, clean, and peaceful. Visiting Scripps La Jolla was the complete opposite of UCSD Med. Center. The tour was structured and informative. We were able to see a labor and delivery room and also a recovery room. The tour guide knew what she was talking about and seemed very informed. All rooms are private, some are large however, and some are like teeny closets, so you just get the luck of the draw when your there. The only odd thing was that the hospital seemed too quiet. We didn't see one pregnant lady or baby,...it seemed too peaceful, almost. Even though that sounds funny. :)

?Sharp Mary Birch-- Mary Birch was very clean and organized like Scripps, but it had more of an excitement and liveliness to it than all the other hospitals. The perk to Mary Birch is that it is a Women's hospital that specializes mainly in birthing, so most?of the people we saw were new mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, and babies. It was a nice feeling. Also, since it mainly does births, all of the nurses and doctors are very informed and specialized in births,....it's a comforting feeling. All rooms are not private, however. You may get a private room or you may get a shared room, but the shared room is not that bad. It is still spacious with a wall dividing you and the other guest. The tour guide was very informed and kind. We really enjoyed our tour there and, in the end chose Mary Birch as our hospital. We feel confident and at a peace about our decision.?

?

Hope that helps!! :) ?

• Options
    Don't know if you still need info but I had my BG at Scripps Mercy in Hillcrest and they were amazing. She was in their special care unit for 5 days and all the nurses and doctors were so cautious and kind. They had me pumping after every feeding to get my milk in faster which was tiring but wonderful in terms of getting milk for BG and the LC would come to my room just to check in and encourage me. It could not have been a better experience and I plan to deliver any future kids there as well if I can.?

• Options
    I had DS at Mary Birch and had a great experience there.  I ended up having a C-section which resulted in a private room.  The room was small for the 4 days I was there mainly for DH who stayed to take care of the baby.  The thing I love about Mary Birch is that it is a women's hospital and that if there had been anything wrong with DS, Children's Hospital is connected directly to MB.  That alone made me choose to deliver there.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Your info was very helpful.  I'm planning a couple of tours this weekend.  Did you like the Doctor you chose?  I'm trying to narrow down my search and any input you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

• Options
    I had my son, and will be having this baby at Scripps Hospital in Chula Vista . the nurses were nice and i had my own room. I was there for about 5 days becuase of the c-section. The food wasn't that bad either.
  • Options
    I had my last two babies at Scripps La Jolla and they are amazing.   the nurses are right there for you with anything you need.  I have never been to Mary Birch but I have to say I love Scripps La Jolla (oh yeah and the food is pretty good they give you lots of choices)Smile
  • Options
    Sorry missed your question about doctors I had Laurie Greenberg of IGO medical group and she is amazing.  She caught things I don't think any other doctor would have seen.  All the doctors from IGO are amazing.
  • Options
    IGO is amazing! I see Dr. Heather Gunnarson and her bedside manner is just soo great! The care there is very personal and yet very technologically advanced. And all the lab work, ultrasounds, etc are done right there. IGO patients always deliver out of Scripps La Jolla and I've heard great things about the care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"