Orange County Babies
Options

baby monitor?? which one?

so which one did you get? video? or just sound?
was it worth it? there are soo many different ones.... help!?

Re: baby monitor?? which one?

• Options
    The IL's got us the Angelcare sound and movement monitor. We didn't use the movement monitor, so can't help you with that part. But we did use the sound monitor for a long time, and it was helpful for us (mostly me) to hear DD wake up at night for feedings or in the AM. I probably wouldn't have heard her as well otherwise. If I forgot to turn it on for some reason, sometimes she'd be crying for a while (who knows how long) before I'd actually hear. Poor thing!  Anyway, I was glad to have one.
  • Options
    We did sound because our place is one story and not that spread out.
    I felt it wasn't necessary.

If I had a 2-story - than I would of have gotten the video (set it up in the kitchen or family room).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I got sound...and have used it maybe 4 times..and my kid is over a year now....That would be on my list of things to not buy next time, so with that said, video seems a bit much...

I am sure I am one of the few with that opinion though....

• Options
    Well, we got a video one and I have to say I'd do it again.

We can check the monitor to make sure she's all good if she's crying when we put her down to sleep... especially now that she is pulling up and getting stuck standing... if we opened the door to check on her, she'd go crazy.  It's worth it to us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I opted for the sound one as I just felt the video one was too much.  We have a one story house that isn't too spread out.  But even still, people have gone many many years without the video so I just didn't see it as necessary for us.

JMO though.
  • Options

I had just the sound one and I never used it. I can hear anything and my DD was a noisey sleeper. I would get no use out of the video one. If I had one, I'm sure it would have been nice but I've gone 11 months without thinking about it.

My SIL has one. She has two other kids that she's usually outside with, so it makes sense for her. That way she doesn't have to run inside to check on the baby.

• Options
    Sound. I think its Fisher Price Lights & Sounds $40 or so. It lights up in different stages depending on cry, i.e. fussy one light vs. screaming all the lights which is great so I could tell if I need to get out of bed or if he's just whimpering in his sleep. It's been great! I was a heavy sleeper before the baby and surprisingly still am so for me it was necessary. We live in a 2-story and I keep one monitor upstairs & one down.
  • Options

We got the sound one based on Baby Bargains reviews.  The reviews for the video ones were bad.  We got this Sony one https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815277 

It has high reviews and you can switch to multiple channels if there is any interference.  We've used it everyday since she moved to her own room.  Even now at 1 year.  I like to hear her wake up babbling rather than waiting for her to scream to hear her. 

• Options
    I'm a light sleeper and we all sleep on the same floor, so I didn't need a monitor (sound or video). 
  • Options

I have the Angel Care Monitor.  It monitors sound and movement.  I love it. Except for the first time it beeped because it didn't detect movement. Scared the living crap out of me.

I never gave a thought to a video monitor.

• Options

I have a sound one but I really never needed it.  When my daughter wa slittle I slept on another floor with ear plugs and still woke to everything.  It really depends on what kind of a sleeper you are.

The only time i really use it is if I go in the garage or am taking a shower (I have the lights and sounds).  And family or sitters like to have one.

I will say, however, if I have another I will get video or hook up a web cam.  Sometimes you just want to peek in to see they are OK when they are crying.  Going in to check can work them up.

When they are almost two and crying Mommy, Mommy, Mommy you just want to make sure they just want company and don't have their head stuck or something weird that is in your head.  A video monitor would totally ease those fears.

My two cents

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

• Options
    the peace of mind from an AngelCare monitor is worth it!!!  Highly recommend the movement & sound on this monitor!!!
  • Options
    We moved dd to her own room at 3.5 months and I wouldn't have done it w/o the Angelcare monitor.  It just gave me peace of mind--although it does go off when baby rolls to far to the edge of the crib.  But I didn't mind, as long as I knew she was breathing, then we could all sleep.  Now I just use the sound part (turned off the movement sensor) because like brideojb, I like to hear her making cute noises in the morning and I go get her before it turns to crying.
  • Options
    we got just sound and we use it all the time. although i can hear usually hear him cry, it helps to use it to monitor the crying to see if is a "i need you to come hear" or "i'm trying to put myself to sleep" cry. if i had to do it over, I'd get a video or movement monitor. especially when he started sttn, i wanted to go in to check on him to see if he was ok, but didn't want to wake him up by opening the door.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"