Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

HUGE amount of Amoxicillian

I took DS to see the on call pedi yesterday evening. She said he had a small ear infection, and prescribed him Amoxicillian (sp?). This is DS's first time being sick, but DD used to get ear infections often, so I'm not concerned.

However, when I picked up his medicine I was surprised b/c it is in a HUGE bottle. It contains 300 mg and he's supposed to receive 3 teaspoons 2x/day in which he will finish the whole thing off. The pharmacist said that it was the new trend to give higher dosage of antibiotics. I'm confused as to why such a large dosage is necessary for a small ear infection. DD used to get double ones and never had that much prescribed. Anyone with medical/pharmaceutical background have expertise to share?

231IMG_7435002IMG_7756

Re: HUGE amount of Amoxicillian

• Options

Follow your dr's orders, but its large and/or unncessary doses that have lead to the outbreak of "super bugs" such as MRSA, CDiff, VRE.  The bugs develop a tolerance to the abx since we so freely use them. 

However, I will say that you should follow Drs orders and that antibiotics are completely and totally necessary when an infection is present.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    you always use "high dose" amox for hard to get into tissues like ears or sinuses. The lower dose is good for strep throat or pneumonia b/c those tissues take up the meds easier.
    Mommy to an amazing toddler who happens to have had a stroke, bleed, hydrocephalus and CP... and is kickin' it's butt :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are really concerned, call your doctor and ask why. For the weekend at least, I would follow dr.'s directions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i don't know if this helps. .  but our doctor prescribes high doses of Amox. for DS's ear infections . .  when i did question it, she said that they use the higher doses to fight ear infections . .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"