Attachment Parenting
Options

help me with babywearing

I am really new to all this babywearing. I want to do it, just not really sure how/what to use, what's most comfortable, etc.

I just got a Moby for christmas, but not sure if I like it completely. I have a borrowed Moby from a friend that I was trying out. It IS very comfortable, just seems complicated to get on/of and baby in and out. Maybe I just am not that experienced. I am thinking of making my own Mei Tai because I like the way they look, it seems like it would be comfortable but easier to put and on of going to the store or places.

I have some questions
HOW do you wrap when you are going out? do you pre-wrap before you go somewhere? Do you wrap when you get there, ? How do you remove your baby if sleeping? Does it get easier putting them in and out of a wrap?

Where do you get woven wraps at? I like the looks/colors of all the wraps you ladies have but don't know where to get one.
Should I return my Moby? I like it because it's comfortable, but I really hate the color (olive)  and wonder if I could find something else I like better. My LO is 3 months old now, and I feel like the Moby will be hot in the summer.I am going to attempt to make a basic Mei Tai , since I have a couple of boxes of fabric and a sewing machine, I though it would be cheaper. If I were to make my own wrap what sort of fabric should I use?
THANKS!

Re: help me with babywearing

• Options
    When DS was little and I was using the Sleepy Wrap, I would always tie it on before we left. If DS was sleeping, I would untie the wrap as opposed to pulling DS out. 
  • Options

I always pre-tie my moby and I just pull him out but my boy sleeps like a rock. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The Moby I loved b/c you could pre-tie it before going out and about. It was too long of a wrap to get into in a parking lot, IMO. If they're sleeping, it depended on what I was doing. Going into eat someplace- i'd carry in the car seat. Going shopping- quick transfer to the wrap, then start walking so they don't wake up. Worked 90% of the time! Yes, it gets easier once you know what you're doing. :)

I get most of my woven's used through www.thebabywearer.com and their FSOT forum. It can be a bit daunting to figure out the site, but once you learn your way around, it's an awesome resource for all kinds of carriers, not just wovens. Nowadays, I use a size 4 wrap, which can allow me to do a back, front or hip carry, though I usually do a Kangaroo or a ruck tied in front.

DIY wraps are not as comfortable as a real woven. The only fabric that is suggested is called osnaburg, which is like a thick muslin. If you make your own Mei Tai, just make sure you really reinforce the straps where they meet the carrier, and I'd look into padding the straps somehow, as well as using a really sturdy fabric like duck cloth, canvas or denim on the straps.

• Options
    a really easy one is the Ring Sling, it is simple to put on and easy to adjust, you can carry a little baby or a toddler, plus sewing one would be super easy!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    I pretied my stretchy wraps when I used them and would just pop DS in and out as much as needed... If he fell asleep in the car he would wake up for a second when I'd out him in the wrap, but would snuggle in and go back to sleep quickly. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it! We use a woven and a RS now depending on what we are doing. I'm not good enough w/ my woven to wrap in the car yet, so for groceries I use the RS and LOVE it.... I honestly didn't like my RS until DS was about 5m old though. Ditto to the pp who suggested thebabywearer.com. That is where I got my Vat and it was a nice experience. I think a RS would be easy to make... Not sure about a Mai tai. You can get rings at slingrings.com :) Hth On phone- sorry for typos and lack of format
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I think at 3 months, you are about past the good stage for moby use - other options will be more supportive.  You can pre-tie a moby and pop baby in which is nice.

Mei tais are great.  Babyhawk is a good brand for younger babies that's easy to find.  If you want to make your own, just make sure to find a good pattern that properly reinforces all the seams as they take a lot of stress.

I have info on buying wraps and other carriers in my siggy link.  But the FSOT on thebabywearer.com is definitely the place to go for deals!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"