Parenting after a Loss
Options

Milk coming in?

So my milk is definitely in/coming in. My boobs are hard, but not rock hard yet. One leaked all over my arm while I was nursing from the other.

But it doesn't seem like it's letting down. LO is getting some since I just saw her spit up some milk, but it doesn't seem like she's getting a lot, and I'm definitely not emptying out...

Does it take time after it comes in for it to work its way down?

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Milk coming in?

• Options

There may be a few things...

LO might not be great at TRANSFERRING milk just yet.  So the milk is there and some of it dribbles into her mouth with wimpy suckling, but she *might* not be vigorous enough at the breast at just a few days of life to really do a great job at emptying your breast.

If your breasts are hard and leaking you likely have tons of milk in there - way more than LO needs for a feeding.  For example I would pump 5 ounces from one breast in 5 minutes and still feel engorged!  This was before my supply regulated and I have always had issues with oversupply...  But you get the point.  When your milk comes in there is often TOO much.  Part of that fullness and discomfort tells your body to make less.

You can do vigorous breast massage before offering the breast - you might see some milk start to flow - that's a good time to get LO on the breast so that her sucking efforts are rewarded.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Options

When my milk first came in, my breasts were still engorged even after DD nursed.  Newborns still have such small stomachs, they aren't going to empty an engorged breast, I think.  And I really didn't feel the tingling sensation of a letdown when DD was a tiny newborn.

As long as your LO is wetting the right number of diapers (I think it corresponds to number of days old- 3 days= 3 diapers), LO is getting enough.  And spit up is a good, though messy, way of knowing they are getting milk.  GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't even know my milk had come in until I went to a LC consultant days later.  I had to pump it out which hurt!  She told me to use hot shower and hot wash cloths to help let down.  Also, don't take a hot shower unless you are ready to nurse or pump.

So happy to see you here :)

• Options
    I started pumping after the first "morning" feeding enough to have the engorgment pain go away. This is also helping me stock up on my mommy free time supply. just the 5 min of pumping after the first feeding has been working well for us and we have had great feedings afterwords.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"