BFP #1 - 3/19/09 - M/C  - 4/5/09 6 weeks 2 days
BFP #2 - 7/1/09 - DD born 3/8/2010
BFP #3 - 11/1/10 - chemical pregnancy
BFP #4 - 1/2/11 - DS born 9/8/11
BFP#5 - 7/13/13 - stick baby stick!  Due 4/24/14

Re: lkstor - re: your opinion on childhood obesity article

• Options

That's interesting.

The old data suggests that fat babies don't make fat adults. 

BUT...  It doesn't surprise me that being BIG in the last part of the first year of life and early toddlerhood is predictive of adult weight.  There are so many eating habits that start early.

Remember that if you baby is 95% for weight and 95% for height they are OK...  It is the "weight for length" chart by CDC that is most important (or BMI in older children).

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Options

::butting in::

So my question is given the current rule of thumb to "feed on demand" what is suggested if your baby is overweight? Jax is 3 months and 97% weight and 95% for height so I'm not worried about it but what if he was say 65% on length? Would they then consider that overweight and what could be done about it? Would a pedi want to do anything about it at this point? If not at what point would a pedi step and say something needs to be done and here is the plan?

I'm not calling anyone out or saying the study is crap, I'm just curious. Feeding seems to be kind of a delicate thing so young to be putting a baby on a diet. Or is the study even suggesting that nothing can be done about it...they are just predisposed?

::butting out::

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagevlewis515:

::butting in::

So my question is given the current rule of thumb to "feed on demand" what is suggested if your baby is overweight? Jax is 3 months and 97% weight and 95% for height so I'm not worried about it but what if he was say 65% on length? Would they then consider that overweight and what could be done about it? Would a pedi want to do anything about it at this point? If not at what point would a pedi step and say something needs to be done and here is the plan?

I'm not calling anyone out or saying the study is crap, I'm just curious. Feeding seems to be kind of a delicate thing so young to be putting a baby on a diet. Or is the study even suggesting that nothing can be done about it...they are just predisposed?

::butting out::

We would look at total intake.  Some babies drink WAY too much formula (like 40+ ounces per day).  So sometimes we'll set restrictions there. 

Other times there are obvious solutions.  Like "don't give your baby sweet tea in a bottle".  Or "don't feed your toddler McDonald's 5 times per week".  But we just look at it case by case.

Most of these are multifactorial - there is probably a genetic predisposition - but let's face it - Americans have bad eating and exercise habits as well.

BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
  • Options
    Thanks!