3rd Trimester

Breast Pump Question

For the medela pump in style breastpump, if you get new tubing, can you buy one used? Is that sanitary?

Re: Breast Pump Question

• The CDC recommends not using someone else's pump because the motor is open. I am a lactation counselor and I have opened those motors before and seen some nasty stuff. Keep in mind that all kinds of diseases can be transmitted through a breastpump. I, personally, would not use a used pump no matter who they were.
  • From what I have been told, the only pumps that are okay to use used are what are considered "closed system" pumps. It is not the tubing that they are concerned about it is the milk getting into the pumping mechanisms because they can spew out everywhere when the pump is used. If it is your own milk you are fine but everyone has different properties to their milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is unsanitary according to Medela.  On the pump it has a big warning label that says "Personal care item.  Unsanitary if used by more than one person"

Some people might chalk that up to Medela trying to make $$$ by selling new pumps, but I am not risking my health or my child's health to save few bucks.

The tubing is 1/2 the problem.  The milk can get backed up into the motor (which mine did a couple times) and you can't ever get that 100% completely sanitized. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"