2nd Trimester
Options

Blow dry perfector... safe?

I got the garnier blow dry perfector and wanted to try it, but it comes with gloves like a hair dye product. I had my hair highlighted at a salon with foils, but I'm not sure if this stuff is pregnancy safe. I tried to google, but couldn't find anything related to pregnancy, probably since its a newer product.

I checked with my hair stylist and she said to check and make sure to avoid formaldehyde during pregnancy, and it does not contain formaldehyde.

Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Blow dry perfector... safe?

• Options
    If you use it somewhere well-ventilated you should be fine.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagejessjo04:

I got the garnier blow dry perfector and wanted to try it, but it comes with gloves like a hair dye product. I had my hair highlighted at a salon with foils, but I'm not sure if this stuff is pregnancy safe. I tried to google, but couldn't find anything related to pregnancy, probably since its a newer product.

I checked with my hair stylist and she said to check and make sure to avoid formaldehyde during pregnancy, and it does not contain formaldehyde.

Thoughts?

Let me know how you like it! I have seen it and want to try it!! :)

as far as your question, I have no idea

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call Garnier! I'm sure they have a hotline on the box.
  • Options

imagekewltif:
    Call Garnier! I'm sure they have a hotline on the box.

They are closed due to 'inclement weather'. Or they are all out drinking already...

• Options

This isn't similar to the Brazilian Blow Out stuff that they're recalling due to them not labeling the formaldehyde in it, is it? The Brazilian Blow Out people are having major issues here in Canada because they did not disclose the levels of formaldehyde in the product (apparently some level is acceptable but it has about 10x that amount) and because it hadn't finish clearing their patent stage they weren't require to disclose.

I'd say stay away from any product that is too new to have reviews or be properly tested. I can't imagine they've had a chance to really assess they effects that some of these items have on baby.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageluvdv8:

This isn't similar to the Brazilian Blow Out stuff that they're recalling due to them not labeling the formaldehyde in it, is it? The Brazilian Blow Out people are having major issues here in Canada because they did not disclose the levels of formaldehyde in the product (apparently some level is acceptable but it has about 10x that amount) and because it hadn't finish clearing their patent stage they weren't require to disclose.

I'd say stay away from any product that is too new to have reviews or be properly tested. I can't imagine they've had a chance to really assess they effects that some of these items have on baby.

They stress that it is not like the Brazilian hair straightener. There is no formaldehyde, and its more like a smoothing thing than straightener. The box says you still need to blow dry and probably flat iron. The only warning has to do with thiol allergies. I'm not sure what thiol is though, and didnt see anything online regarding its use during pregnancy.

• Options
    imagejessjo04:
    imageluvdv8:

They stress that it is not like the Brazilian hair straightener. There is no formaldehyde, and its more like a smoothing thing than straightener. The box says you still need to blow dry and probably flat iron. The only warning has to do with thiol allergies. I'm not sure what thiol is though, and didnt see anything online regarding its use during pregnancy.

It's a common agent in perming solutions. Clearly there has to be some chemical/relaxing agent in it or it wouldn't last 7 washes. The problem with perming (or relaxing) during pregnancy is that the chemicals can react very badly with your hair and you may not end up with what you hoped for- your hair may be really dry or brittle or you may get the opposite of straight and you hair may dry and frizz out.

I would be concerned about #1 the smell (it's going to smell like perming solution) and #2 the reaction your hair has. I wouldn't risk it not pregnant (I had a bad experience once where all my hair fell out in clumps after using a straightening agent) so I'd say no, but if you're going to do it try it on a small section in the back first to make sure there's no breakage, color changes, etc.

Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageluvdv8:
    imagejessjo04:
    imageluvdv8:

It's a common agent in perming solutions. Clearly there has to be some chemical/relaxing agent in it or it wouldn't last 7 washes. The problem with perming (or relaxing) during pregnancy is that the chemicals can react very badly with your hair and you may not end up with what you hoped for- your hair may be really dry or brittle or you may get the opposite of straight and you hair may dry and frizz out.

I would be concerned about #1 the smell (it's going to smell like perming solution) and #2 the reaction your hair has. I wouldn't risk it not pregnant (I had a bad experience once where all my hair fell out in clumps after using a straightening agent) so I'd say no, but if you're going to do it try it on a small section in the back first to make sure there's no breakage, color changes, etc.

It is stinky, luckily its warm enough here to open a few windows while its on my head. I'm not really worried about my hair, I have done some crazy things to may hair, that also included it falling out in clumps (multiple colorings, chemical straighteners, perms... my poor hair).  I have so much hair, sometimes I wish some would fall out. I think I'll probably try it and just hope I wont need to wear a wig to SIL's party tonight :P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"